60 wont pass smog... what to do...? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok. Maybe try the non op suggestion I posted above. If not Get the initial smog done. I bought my 1985 from Nevada. All the factory emissions equipment was still intact and it still cost me $1,000.00 by the time it was all said and done. First follow previous advice from other members plus get a copy of the FSM. All that mess under the hood will all make sense. Tune up, valve adjustment., timing, oil change. I also rebuilt my own carburetor. There is a tutorial on that in this site. Adjust the carburetor "lean drop". Bite the bullet and put a new California compliant CAT on it for good measure. A new converter will hide a multitude of sins. I also set my carburetor float low to starve it for fuel and with all that it passed with 0 emissions at a blue shield station, Gross Polluter.
Ran like Sh#t but passed none the less. Just make sure it passes visual before you start. If everything is there you should be in good shape. After that, do the family thing so you don't have to fool with it until you get rid of it or go full LS swap.

NOTE: Upon initial registration, nonresident, diesel-powered vehicles manufactured in 1998 or after with a (GVWR) rating of no more than 14,000 lbs, and specially constructed vehicles 1976 and newer require smog certification. The six or less model years old rule does not apply to these vehicles.
When you transfer a vehicle that is four or less model years old a smog certification is not required. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year.) The four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel-powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner. When a vehicle is more than four model years old, a seller must provide evidence of a current smog certification except when the following occurs:
  • The transfer occurs between a spouse, domestic partner, sibling, child, parent, grandparent, or grandchild.
  • A biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).
This is off of the DMV website.
No smog check was required when my mom transferred cars to me, but then they fell into the biannual smog check cycle. Have you owned the F250 for more than 2 years?

I agree with FJ60Seth... never heard of anyone escaping the Calif. biannual smog check cycle even after being gifted a vehicle. On the day you reregister the gifted vehicle in Calif. in your name, your Calif. biannual smog check cycle begins.

I would like to apologize to retiredguest for an assumption I made regarding "SMOG testing frequency" in California.

Upon further investigation retiredguest is correct about not having to SMOG test your vehicle ever again after a change of ownership but only if two crucial caveats are true. #1 - You have to live in certain exempt ZIP codes in California and #2 - You never sell the vehicle.

In other words...say you bought an FJ60 and registered it in the ZIP code you live in where your only required to SMOG test at "change of ownership". If you pass SMOG you don't have to SMOG ever again as long as you meet the above caveats meaning your ZIP code only requires SMOG test at "change of ownership" and you never sell the vehicle.
There are actually three levels of SMOG testing requirements based on the ZIP code you live in...(Enhanced, Basic, and "Change of Ownership").
Please see this link to Calif. DMV site... Smog Check Program Areas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom