60 Won't idle until warm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of rust. But I'm looking forward to the restoration process.

10.jpg

Lots of rust. But I'm looking forward to the restoration process.

View attachment 1914035
Looks great on the outside. Stock rims, bumpers, paint looks fairly shiny. I think I see rust on the roof. That’ll be big work but be thrilled you got yourself a true classic beast. Congrats!
Felicity

Looks great on the outside. Stock rims, bumpers, paint looks fairly shiny. I think I see rust on the roof. That’ll be big work but be thrilled you got yourself a true classic beast. Congrats!
Felicity

The "Lots of Rust" I mentioned. You could disappear in that hole.

IMG_8282.jpg

Cover it up for now somehow to keep moisture being trapped and leaking in further.

Cover it up for now somehow to keep moisture being trapped and leaking in further.

Already done. Taking it to Trollhole's sometime in the next few weeks to get a repair checklist started up.
Hoping to do as much of the work myself as possible (partly for fun, partly to learn my rig), but... I'll let the Cruiser experts tell me what needs to be done first. I'm confident that cancer spot will be fairly high on the to-do list.

It looks pretty sweet in black, I like that. I would have a hard time thinking that rust is an isolated spot. It might be an idea to really think about the amount of money spent on repairs and the chance of finding a donor vehicle or that being the donor. Not at all trying to be rude, seriously, I would worry about the condition of the body under all the window gaskets and such. I hope I am mistaken, I would just worry about the cost effectiveness of saving the body. I myself have spent a lot of time and money saving some things that others might not have, and I totally understand really loving a vehicle that might need a lot of help. I know how it goes and I hope it works out awesome. Best of luck, I will be watching to see what happens and what the rig becomes. Cheers!

Glad you got Trollhole to help out. that is some serious neglect/abuse going on with the vacuum lines, some kind of half hearted desmog. And a twig stuck in the vacuum line at the carb.

You're gonna have to invest in an angle grinder and welder and go to town on that roof. If you don't have body work skills that will soon change! Only bad thing is you prob picked this up cheap but those body repairs will cost. I always have sticker shock when I walk into an automotive refinishing supply store!

Glad you got Trollhole to help out. that is some serious neglect/abuse going on with the vacuum lines, some kind of half hearted desmog. And a twig stuck in the vacuum line at the carb.

You're gonna have to invest in an angle grinder and welder and go to town on that roof. If you don't have body work skills that will soon change! Only bad thing is you prob picked this up cheap but those body repairs will cost. I always have sticker shock when I walk into an automotive refinishing supply store!

I have an angle grinder, I've used it primarily for knife making in the past so I have experience with removing metal. I need to learn welding though. Picked it up for $2,900. I wanted a project. This will be a lifetime vehicle for me.

I have an angle grinder, I've used it primarily for knife making in the past so I have experience with removing metal. I need to learn welding though. Picked it up for $2,900. I wanted a project. This will be a lifetime vehicle for me.
Great price. Start a build thread and add a link to this thread then it’s all in a nice place to access. We’ll all keep a watch. You have a great attitude, hang onto it and you’ll be fine. This first 1-2 years will be the most costly. Don’t add up your receipts and go slow. The link to the fsm is in my signature. Print out a section at a time and keep it near you as you work on the truck. Talk and think things through before jumping feet first. We all have different views on how to do what, when but ultimately the fsm is your true guide.

Great price. Start a build thread and add a link to this thread then it’s all in a nice place to access. We’ll all keep a watch. You have a great attitude, hang onto it and you’ll be fine. This first 1-2 years will be the most costly. Don’t add up your receipts and go slow. The link to the fsm is in my signature. Print out a section at a time and keep it near you as you work on the truck. Talk and think things through before jumping feet first. We all have different views on how to do what, when but ultimately the fsm is your true guide.

Which forum would be the best home for a build thread? FJ60 or Expedition Build? I do plan for this to be a Daily/Overlanding rig at some point.

Just begin your own in the 60 forum.

Build thread is up.

Here is a link to a video under the hood of my 60. Hopefully, this is helpful to anyone trying to help me haha. The air cleaner assembly was removed for filming.

get yourself copies of the 2F emissions manual, the 2F engine manual and the Body and Chassis manual. There are electronic versions for all of these out there. For starters please see the attached file. These are various schematics how the vacuum tubing should be routed. You might start by replacing all the tubing with new silicone tubing, routed properly. ...

take a deep breath and go slowly.

Attachments

• vacuum piping.pdf
    983.9 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom