60 to Pick-up...maybe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive been thinking about selling my fj60 and buying an 89-95 pickup, i bought my 60 in Feb of 2010, it is my first car, i originally wanted a pickup but they were pretty expensive for me at the time, now ive got the money and whatnot so ive considered getting one for reasons like better gas millage, comfort, and a little newer truck..plus i love the body style, anyways, im looking for advise from someone who has/had a 60 and has a pickup and/or some pros and cons of these trucks and if i should go v6 or 4cyl and why, i dont want to regret selling my 60 so let me know what u think. THANKS!!

if 95 is the newest you can afford dont get a v6

if you're used to the 60 you'll at least want an xtra-cab you will hate driving a std cab p/u as a daily. maybe look into a 4runner if you dont plan on hauling tall things

i can afford a 90s tacoma i just dont like the body style as much, im definitely not a 4 runner guy tho, why not v6?

I have not ever owned a 60, but I have had my pickup for almost 11 years, it got me thru 4 years of college and it has been my daily driver for work the last 6-7 years. I am with you on the body style, I am not a huge fan of the tacoma body style either. For what it's worth, here is my advice:

People will try to steer you clear of the v6, and while it would not be my first choice but not for the reasons most people give. I like the 4cyl because it is about the most simple motor I have ever worked on. While the 4cyl is no powerhouse, it is a solid little motor that if taken care of will easily get you over 200,000 miles. I currently am knocking on 300,000 myself. The v6 is a good little motor that has gotten a bad name. In the early 90s Toyota changed the head gasket material and it took them several years to get one that would hold up. The mid 90s models seem to hold up pretty well. As with any motor with aluminum heads and an iron block, if you over heat it, then you may warp the heads and end up with a head gasket failure. The v6s just seem to be more prone to it than others.

Don't get me wrong, in a truck, provided that it is geared correctly, they are a nice little motor. Much quieter than the 22Rs but for the extra 2 cylinders, you don't really get the best bang for the buck. They are not hard to work on, just alot of stuff crammed into a rather small engine compartment. I actually have a block at the machinist now that will be going into my 88 4Runner later this summer I hope.

As far as what to look for. I would look for a stock extended cab. Mine is standard and I have zero room for anything. Look for a 4cyl 5spd truck with reasonable miles, 150k is not unreasonable for these trucks. Ask about the timing chain, should be done every 90k-100k miles on these trucks. Check that the trans shifts smoothly, mine lasted until about 215k before it needed a rebuild. Bucket seats are nice, but not a necessity since you can swap in a pair very easily. Check the water to make sure it is clean and the oil, although I would change all the fluids for good measure.

As far as comfort, well it is a torsion-bar truck, it may ride better than the 60 or may not. The 60 has some weight and will make the springs work more like they are supposed to. The pickups are very light and as such tend to ride a little, well like a truck.

I love my pickup and have had alot of offers over the years, but I won't even price it. Most everyone I know have moved on to newer vehicles, but mine is paid for and cranks every time I turn the key and if it doesn't chances are I left the lights on :D

Good hunting and keep us posted,

Tucker

I had a 62 (automatic) and it was better for hauling the family. My daily driver is a 94 reg cab short bed pickup. 5 speed, 22re, manual windows, simple. I always liked the truck better than the 62 except for its lack of seating. Its like sports car compared to the station wagon 62.

I just picked up a 1992 v6 standard cab. Love the truck, would preferred to get an xtra cab but they just did not come up in my price range. The V6 from that period is suppose to be a real solid motor, but not a power house, nor can it really be beefed up. Accept if for what it is and treat it well and everything I read says it will treat you well also. I personally did not care either way, my budget and finding one in my budget was more important than cab style or 4 or 6 cylinders. I just wanted manual 5 speed and 4x4.

thanks guys, one more question...for now, how r these things offroad? and the 4cyl vs v6 offroad?

Out of the box, the pickups have to be, in my opinion, one of the best off road rigs one can have. The 86-95 pickups (know you are looking for 89-95) all share a fully boxed frame, the 4cyl 5spd have all gear transfer cases, with a decent low range. I have taken my little truck and followed much larger rigs just about anywhere they wanted to go. People seem surprised at their ability. I love to see the expressions on folks when you school something in a nearly stock rig that they had been struggling with on 35s and more horsepower. If you were to throw a selectable locker out back (toyota elocker or ARB) then you would be set. Now driving skill plays alot in the offroadability of the trucks and since they are smaller and less powerful, driver finess will develop sooner than a rig you can heavy foot thru or over things in.

It is a different style than the 60 is, but as with about any Toyota, they built them to handle the worst the earth has to offer and they do their jobs very well.

Tucker

I went from a FJ62 to my pickup. I enjoy different aspects of each. Parts for the pickup are much much cheaper! You can actually find them in junk yards, used parts, etc. MPG is better 10 vs 20 or so, depends on how stock you leave them. I could get over 20 until I started modding, tires, etc. I am hoping to regear this summer to help with the massive lack of power, seems like I can barely move except for 3K + RPM in the pickup with 32's.

GL a 60 is a real nice 1st car, thats for sure!

Out of the box, the pickups have to be, in my opinion, one of the best off road rigs one can have. The 86-95 pickups (know you are looking for 89-95) all share a fully boxed frame, the 4cyl 5spd have all gear transfer cases, with a decent low range. I have taken my little truck and followed much larger rigs just about anywhere they wanted to go. People seem surprised at their ability. I love to see the expressions on folks when you school something in a nearly stock rig that they had been struggling with on 35s and more horsepower. If you were to throw a selectable locker out back (toyota elocker or ARB) then you would be set. Now driving skill plays alot in the offroadability of the trucks and since they are smaller and less powerful, driver finess will develop sooner than a rig you can heavy foot thru or over things in.

It is a different style than the 60 is, but as with about any Toyota, they built them to handle the worst the earth has to offer and they do their jobs very well.

Tucker

The frame on the 60's is way stronger than the pickups.

Its pretty simple to decide which one you want is your goal in the end is a wheeler. The pickups are very hard to beat for wheeling. While a 60 will take you almost anywhere you want, its big, heavy, and not that powerful. IMO a 60 is perfect for a family wheeler or just a good family dd. A pickup or 4runner, well its already been said how they are off road so I won't say it again.

GL a 60 is a real nice 1st car, thats for sure!
i Thought so too :D u guys are makin it a little easier to decide, my 60 is just a bit much in a busy city with a lot of traffic, small parking spaces and stupid drivers, and i am SOOOO glad to hear that parts are cheaper, my mom works for toyota and i get a discount on parts BUT i cant find a dealership who has parts unless its a stupid overpriced gas cap or something :doh: im thinkin 4cyl just cuz ive heard a lot of reliability comes from the 22r, my cruiser is stock so i have to lift it and regear it and get some 33s just to get its full offroad capability and the stock trucks are lifted enough for me, i love toyotas and i love offroading so i guess i cant go wrong. My boss wants to buy my 60 anyways so ill just buy it back from him in a few years and keep it as a toy ;) Thanks again guys!

My mini is small and light and nimble on the trail and cheap to build with easy to find parts.
my 62 was big and heavy lumbering beast on the trail and expensive to build with less parts available.
My 80 is big and heavy but feels nimble like a smaller truck on the trail (plus seats 8 and has factory lockers front and rear).

My mini is small and light and nimble on the trail and cheap to build with easy to find parts.
my 62 was big and heavy lumbering beast on the trail and expensive to build with less parts available.

Exactly my experience. I really got to hate wheeling my '62 on tight New England trails, several times I came close to crushing the roof rain gutters. I felt like I was driving around in a living room. I wish I had a nickel for every time I bonked those stupid spring plates under the springs on rocks, my U-bolts were trashed.

The real killer for me was, despite trying everything, I couldn't get much better than about 13 mpg. I can't justify driving a vehicle that gets that kind of mileage, no way. 80s are much more comfortable, but still get terrible mileage. I generally get 22 in my pickup.

I second the getting an extended cab, for the price difference, which is usually $0 it's well worth it. It was a necessity for me as I needed the space for my kids to ride. They love it!

Be patient and know what you want and stick to it. The right truck will come along. 22re and 5spd is the way to go. If you go over 31s prepare to regear. Although you can get factory 4.88s for the pickups just do sone searching, junk yards and far more aftermarket out there.

I've got the '91, and a 60.

FWIW, I think the 60 drives much, much better (it's got OME suspension and I've rebuilt much of the steering). It is a significantly more surefooted vehicle in the snow around here in the winter.

My '91 is plenty comfortable for just my wife and I, gets excellent mileage (but, mine's diesel-ized, and the 60 isn't--yet), and can easily handle it's normal use. I don't particularly think that the IFS rides well, certainly not better than the 60, and I generally hate my IFS. It seriously needs to disappear IMHO.

Mine is a standard cab, and it is kind of a pain to not be able to store much in the truck. The 60, however, can double as a tuff-shed if I want. ;) I definitely appreciate the small size of my faux-lux on trails though, it is pretty nice.

I wouldn't call it a sports car, by any stretch of the imagination (and mine isn't exactly weak) though.

I hate the 3.0 V6 though, I wouldn't buy one of those unless the sole intent was to swap in a 3.4. 22RE all the way. I loved that motor (well, until I replaced it with the 2LT-E anyway...).

If mileage is the big driving factor, I'd probably just start shopping for a 13BT, 12HT or 1HZ for the 60...

Dan

I'm a Cruiserhead that up/down graded to a 94 pickup with a 22re, standard cab.

While I miss my Cruisers and the capacity (room, weight, 4wd traction, general-tank-do-anything-any-time feeling), I appreciate the pickup's inexpensive parts, reliability, and size.

For me, a Cruiser describes everything I want- the truck is everything that I've needed. Driven very conservatively (read: slowly) I've been able to squeeze 26mpg out of it once fully loaded. In winter the thing gets 17-21; summer 20-24. Stock tires, a bit of extra spring.

Drive one and see. The 60 is a different beast, but both are great.

Well it just depends. I love my fj60's and my pickup. If the fj60 is in good shape and rust free I would definatly keep it. If it is modified, lifted or has extras on it I would keep it. If it is just another stock rusty fj60 then may consider selling.

If you are building a hardcore 4x4 price is probably a mute point. Yes many landcruiser parts are more but if you end up doing a solid axle swap, lift, gears etc. it will likley be close to the same $ either way you go.

If you commute, drive a lot, and drive over 65mph a lot I would consider selling. If you have a family then I would keep it.

If you get a pickup definatly get a extended cab unless only used for wheeling.

If you get a hilux 1989-1995 get a 22re and 5speed

If you can get a tocama get a 3.4L v-6 w/5speed. Ya they don't look as good but better engines, just as much aftermarket support, and they are a little newer and not as used up as many of the pickup are.

I bought my standard cab because it was a steel of a price and I needed another truck at the time. I would have held out for a extended cab if it was not so cheap and had a rebuilt tranny and engine. But often I wish I had the extra cab room behind me.
If you can only afford one I woud get a Tacoma. The extended cab will be as big or bigger than the fj60 however.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Well it just depends. I love my fj60's and my pickup. If the fj60 is in good shape and rust free I would definatly keep it. If it is modified, lifted or has extras on it I would keep it. If it is just another stock rusty fj60 then may consider selling.

If you are building a hardcore 4x4 price is probably a mute point. Yes many landcruiser parts are more but if you end up doing a solid axle swap, lift, gears etc. it will likley be close to the same $ either way you go.

If you commute, drive a lot, and drive over 65mph a lot I would consider selling. If you have a family then I would keep it.

If you get a pickup definatly get a extended cab unless only used for wheeling.

If you get a hilux 1989-1995 get a 22re and 5speed

If you can get a tocama get a 3.4L v-6 w/5speed. Ya they don't look as good but better engines, just as much aftermarket support, and they are a little newer and not as used up as many of the pickup are.

I bought my standard cab because it was a steel of a price and I needed another truck at the time. I would have held out for a extended cab if it was not so cheap and had a rebuilt tranny and engine. But often I wish I had the extra cab room behind me.
If you can only afford one I woud get a Tacoma. The extended cab will be as big or bigger than the fj60 however.

Good luck.
Its as stock as it gets, it has some body rot but not too bad at all, it definitely shows its age, im 17 so family is not the issue...thank god. I dont have the money (right now) to get TOO "hardcore." I just graduated high school and my drive has gone from 1 mile to 25 miles to the college im going to so commute is a factor. its sounding appealing to get a pickup (definitley ext cab) but its hard to let go of my 60, i know the pickup isnt a head turner and even tho my 60 is stock it still turns heads, and the fact that its my first car, its unique, a lot of room and super badass ;) its a tough decision, if there was a way to get both i would do it in a heart beat. I always wanted a pickup since i was a little kid, i dont know why, i love the body style and the 22r, ive been going back and forth with this decision for about a year now. I may never come to a conclusion :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom