60 steering box leaks - rebuild, or swap to 80 steering box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 80 box has the same size spline on the sector shaft as the 60 box. To that end, you're only going to twist it if you have big tires and wheel the piss out of your truck. I put a 105 sector shaft in my 80 box on my '87 FJ60, but that's because I have big tires, and wheel the piss out of my truck :lol: FWIW, an 80 box with a good saginaw steering pump is enough to reliably turn 42s in the rocks.

If I had a stock-ish late 60 and a leaky PS box, as I once did, this would be my order of fixes, from most preferred, to least preferred:

1. Buy used or reman stock FJ80/FZJ80 power steering box, bolt it on, swap FJ60 pitman arm onto it. Easy.
2. Buy used or reman stock FJ60/FJ62 power steering box and swap it on. Easy.
3. Rebuild my current pump with parts from Toyota. Really not that hard. No SSTs needed.
4. Send my pump off for a rebuild and hope they do it right.
Well hell I don't plan to ever go bigger than 35" tires, and I don't do any hardcore wheeling (washed out logging roads and trails typically), so for my setup it looks like a good used 80 box (or a rebuilt one) will be the way to go. Wish I could easily do a Saginaw pump on my 3FE, but at this point my OEM pump is working just fine with no issues so I'm not worried about replacing it. Even then I would attempt an OEM rebuild before anything else at that point.

@Godwin it seems to be a crap shoot whether your rebuilt box starts leaking soon or not, regardless of who rebuilds it. Kinda crappy deal when you're paying someone to do it, but that's why I would attempt it on my own before sending a box off to be done by someone else..

Are these new or remanned? Not cheap but after you factor in all the cost time and hassle of getting a used one that ends up leaking and needs to be overhauled and shipped and swapped out again, yadda yadda yadda, maybe not such a bad route if you have some spare cash.

Also I was wondering, are the boxes specific to left and right hand drive, or are they all interchangeable?

Are these new or remanned? Not cheap but after you factor in all the cost time and hassle of getting a used one that ends up leaking and needs to be overhauled and shipped and swapped out again, yadda yadda yadda, maybe not such a bad route if you have some spare cash.

Also I was wondering, are the boxes specific to left and right hand drive, or are they all interchangeable?

holy price shock batman

For that price they better be factory new OEM.

I replaced my 60 series ( 10/1985) with a rebuilt 80 series steering gear - 440$ from Rock Auto Including an 80$ core charge - exact fit - offset bolt pattern, new unit is slightly taller so I simply bent my inner fender out I would have bought their new gear but they are out of stock.

Ill be sending out my 60 gear next week to get rebuilt.

Are you guys talking about West Texas Offroad in Odessa or Redneck Ram in San Angelo. I had mine rebuilt at Redneck at least 12 years ago. It has held up, but the truck doesn't get driven a whole lot. 25,000 miles or so between then and now. The reman 80 box sounds like the next step for me. I may try to find one at a "pick'n'pull" and rebuild it myself. Be a good little project while its 400 degrees outside.

I have been using RedHead Steering Boxes for the last four or five rebuilds. They are the only shop I use now, as far as I am aware they are also the only shop that will machine the box as needed to bring it back into specs.

I actually have an 80-series box here rebuilt by them it looks like we will not use, so willing to sell it.

Cheers

Also here is brand new from Toyota.

80-series

105-series

We have purchased and installed a 105 box for a customer, I can verify these are brand new OEM units, not remanned.

Cheers

Also here is brand new from Toyota.

80-series

105-series

We have purchased and installed a 105 box for a customer, I can verify these are brand new OEM units, not remanned.

Cheers
Those babies are most definitely not cheap!

How much does RedHead charge you for doing an 80 box rebuild? I'm keeping my eyes open for a used one locally so I can snatch it up and refresh it.

Those babies are most definitely not cheap!

How much does RedHead charge you for doing an 80 box rebuild? I'm keeping my eyes open for a used one locally so I can snatch it up and refresh it.

If I recall right, $450. I think they also charge a $200 core but as soon as they receive your box the refund that. They also keep boxes on the shelf rebuilt and ready to go so turn around time is at least 4x faster than West Texas. About a week from when you ship yours out till you get a rebuilt one back. To me that is super solid.

And I hear ya on OEM price but what 20-25yr life if not running 37+” rubber? That’s not bad when you look at it like that.

Also FYI, been asked twice in pm if the 80/105 box is the same bolt pattern as a 60/62. It is guys so no issues there.

RedHead will also do up your 60/62 box but I have not had them do one for us yet so don’t know cost, ect. Call them, they real good guys.

Cheers

Last edited:
Also if you are running big tires and want to upgrade the 80 box to 105 strength, this is what you need on top of the 80 core.

6C10CB56-AC50-4C1D-82CC-62436DE28FA2.jpeg
7DF4D323-B64B-4207-AB60-B6BC03F3E21E.jpeg
4382029D-BABF-4CAC-BDC5-F7A8F246350A.jpeg
E5E83185-A3CC-4F02-B456-CE7D70E85B1C.jpeg

RedHead will set the 80 box all up with these goodies. Plenty strong for 37” or bigger rubber.

Cheers

I hear of plenty of 80 series sector shafts bending, twisting or shearing off but never once have heard of that happening to a 60 box, on any truck. I wonder why that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom