60 series with a 2" lift in the back but standard in the front? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did OME medium in front and HD in the rear. It had a bad case of stink bug for a few months (didn't like that on mountain corners). It settled down quite a bit when I added the steel Trail Taylor rear bumper with dual swing-outs and with settling but still a bit higher in back unloaded. I like it that way for the little added departure angle. When I load it up with family, dogs, cooler, etc for camping, it still squats so I'm glad I chose the heavy duty. in hindsight I wish I did HD in the front too. I think you will be glad you did all 4 springs at the same time.

I did OME medium in front and HD in the rear. It had a bad case of stink bug for a few months (didn't like that on mountain corners). It settled down quite a bit when I added the steel Trail Taylor rear bumper with dual swing-outs and with settling but still a bit higher in back unloaded. I like it that way for the little added departure angle. When I load it up with family, dogs, cooler, etc for camping, it still squats so I'm glad I chose the heavy duty. in hindsight I wish I did HD in the front too. I think you will be glad you did all 4 springs at the same time.
Now I've been playing around with doing medium in the back and light on the front. Though I want to build my own front bumper, so maybe if I did medium all the way around and had a heavy front bumper I'll get what I want.

I also have thought about doing a 2" lift all the way around and putting in a spacer on the front to get the look I want once I have all the weight on it.

The guy I ordered my OME parts from talked me into going heavy duty in the rear. He said it wouldn't hurt the ride at all but I'd be glad I did. He was right. Now I'm installing a long range 37 gallon fuel tank so I may be doing add-a-leafs as well. The way the cargo area is cantaleavered over the rear axle and the amount of stuff I find myself hauling, I'd suggest you might be glad you went HD in the rear too. And if you are considering a steel bumper and winch, HD in the front as well. Just my .02, you will love having new OME springs regardless.

The guy I ordered my OME parts from talked me into going heavy duty in the rear. He said it wouldn't hurt the ride at all but I'd be glad I did. He was right. Now I'm installing a long range 37 gallon fuel tank so I may be doing add-a-leafs as well. The way the cargo area is cantaleavered over the rear axle and the amount of stuff I find myself hauling, I'd suggest you might be glad you went HD in the rear too. And if you are considering a steel bumper and winch, HD in the front as well. Just my .02, you will love having new OME springs regardless.
Yeah im just excited for replacing my worn out springs, but since its so expensive i want to make sure i do it right in the first place. I think going with a 2" lift spring all around will be my best bet because if it still doesn't sit at the angle i want. i could always put a spacer block in the front to drop it a bit. I just need to make sure that i get the proper shim in the back to get the right drive shaft angle.

Im also trying to make sure i dont miss anything too, id hate to spend this money to just mess things up because i forgot something simple. Like ive heard that if you dont beef up the shock mounts you can break them off when you go for stronger shocks.

Unless your shock mounts are rusty, you should be fine. You may want to put a 3/8 shim between the axle and spring pack on the rear passenger side if "Cruiser Lean" starts to bother you, but do that after your springs settle. You could also do longer shackles in the rear. I did the "2 1/2, 3 inch" lift. With 33's, looks like it was born that way to me.

IMG_20180211_132853.jpg

Unless your shock mounts are rusty, you should be fine. You may want to put a 3/8 shim between the axle and spring pack on the rear passenger side if "Cruiser Lean" starts to bother you, but do that after your springs settle. You could also do longer shackles in the rear. I did the "2 1/2, 3 inch" lift. With 33's, looks like it was born that way to me.

View attachment 2185580

I have the HFS 1.5" shackles in the front and the 2" shackles in the back, because my old ones came apart when i was putting new bushings in. so i could just get standard shackles for the front. Ive also have been considering maybe doing some kind of bushing between the axle and spring in the front to soften the ride a bit, like the back has.

Also thats exactly how i want my cruiser to look, the proportions are just perfect. Ive always wanted to know have you ever actually used the crank start on your cruiser? Something about being able to crank start a car from the 80's is really cool.

That hole in the front doesn't lead all the way to the crank bolt on mine. You will think you are in a Cadillac compared to the old sagging springs. Don't forget to extend your sway bar mounts too.

That hole in the front doesn't lead all the way to the crank bolt on mine. You will think you are in a Cadillac compared to the old sagging springs. Don't forget to extend your sway bar mounts too.

I plan to fab new links for mine, i also have new break lines and have been thinking about extending the diff breather tubes. If anyone has any other advice that i need to keep in mind please feel free to let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom