60 series with a 2" lift in the back but standard in the front? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking to replace all my leaf springs, and had originally wanted to do a OME 2" lift all the way around. Recently though i put helper springs on the back to keep myself from sagging so much when moving stuff. It actually lifted the back about 1.5" and i really like that look, its much more aggressive. Im curious if anyone has done it where they do the 2" lift springs in the back and standard on the front. If so is there anything i need to consider when doing this? How much will it actually lift since i have sagging springs on right now? will new 2" lift be 2" taller than the new front springs?

i just want to make sure i have thought about everything before i go and start buying parts, so feel free of talking me out it. Here is a pic of how it looks with the lift springs in the back. Its a bit dark but i just felt like the stance was a bit more aggressive. Also it lines the top of the back wheel well with the front wheel well

Snapchat-701791581.jpg

With new springs, what you're thinking will result in a "stink bug" look. Most consider this not ideal. If it's what you want, I don't think you'd have many issues, but you'll probably feel a lot more nose dive when breaking, and more load on the front brakes. Too much stink bug and you'd run into castor issues, but probably not with just a 2" difference.
Your picture almost looks like the rear was sagging more than the front, so by bringing up the rear you just leveled it out

With new springs, what you're thinking will result in a "stink bug" look. Most consider this not ideal. If it's what you want, I don't think you'd have many issues, but you'll probably feel a lot more nose dive when breaking, and more load on the front brakes. Too much stink bug and you'd run into castor issues, but probably not with just a 2" difference.
Your picture almost looks like the rear was sagging more than the front, so by bringing up the rear you just leveled it out
I had thought that but the rear still had some arch where the front is basically flat. I just like the look of the back sitting up at an angle with a bit or rake. I measured the difference between the bottom of the body and its about 1.5" lift. I mean if that's what its supposed to look like then im good with it. Ill take a better pick on flat ground to show what im talking about.

Yeah, hard to tell in the pic with it being black on black and non level ground. These trucks are intended to be level, but your car your choice

Mine is about 1” higher in the rear and it’s visible, but that’s because I’ve got the matched “heavy” kit by OME.

At least it doesn’t lean.

4EFE682E-FB09-44EC-8F71-0875CB2A5863.jpeg

Yeah, hard to tell in the pic with it being black on black and non level ground. These trucks are intended to be level, but your car your choice
Hopefully this shows it a bit better. Suprisingly hard to find level ground around my place.
20200115_122340.jpg

Mine is about 1” higher in the rear and it’s visible, but that’s because I’ve got the matched “heavy” kit by OME.

At least it doesn’t lean.

View attachment 2183636
Yeah that's the kinda style I want to go for. What exactly did you use from OME to achieve that?

If the cruiser's butt gets too high in the air, the usable view out the rear view mirror diminishes. The picture shown looks kinda normal for a completely empty cruiser with heavy duty springs in the rear. It looks like it's intended to carry a lot of weight. Personally I wouldn't want it always to be like that if I never carried weight

If the cruiser's butt gets too high in the air, the usable view out the rear view mirror diminishes. The picture shown looks kinda normal for a completely empty cruiser with heavy duty springs in the rear. It looks like it's intended to carry a lot of weight. Personally I wouldn't want it always to be like that if I never carried weight

I can understand that, i guess i like that look because my first car was an '80 el camino which looks good with a high rake in the back. I just like the fact with it lifted up a bit the space in the back wheel well is even with the front wheel well.

Hopefully this shows it a bit better. Suprisingly hard to find level ground around my place.View attachment 2183642

A touch of "stink bug" is not unattractive. I always likened it to looking like the vehicle was "up on its toes," ready for action. Yours looks like the rear is farily normal after an OME suspension...except for the front. The front looks like it is sitting low rather than the rear sitting high. Perhaps it is an illusion due to the large tires. Seems like a holistic approach to the whole suspension is needed to get to "balanced" appearance (and performance).

A photography hint for all for this kind of shot: Back off farther from the vehicle, zoom in a bit, and take it at door handle height. That will get rid of perspective distortion that wide angle lenses cause, rendering a more neutral look.

Last edited:
A touch of "stink bug" is not unattractive. I always likened it to looking like the vehicle was "up on its toes," ready for action. Yours looks like the rear is farily normal after an OME suspension...except for the front. The front looks like it is sitting low rather than the rear sitting high. Perhaps it is an illusion due to the large tires. Seems like a holistic approach to the whole suspension is needed to get to "balanced" appearance (and performance).

A photography hint for all for this kind of shot: Back off farther from the vehicle, zoom in a bit, and take it at door handle height. That will get rid of perspective distortion that wide angle lenses cause, rendering a more neutral look.

I always learn something new on this website.

As for the suspension i know im sagging, i just put the leaf spring helpers on to get a few more months out while im collecting parts. i just need to know what i should buy to get this look, albeit with the front up a bit more as well as the back. I just want the proportions between front and back to stay similar.

I always learn something new on this website.

As for the suspension i know im sagging, i just put the leaf spring helpers on to get a few more months out while im collecting parts. i just need to know what i should buy to get this look, albeit with the front up a bit more as well as the back. I just want the proportions between front and back to stay similar.

I think that is hard to predict with such precision. You will have to start somewhere that gets you back to a capable suspension, then fine tune, so to speak. I'm sure a lot of folks would recommend an Old Man Emu suspension; medium or heavy, depending on your expected utility, then go from there. Also consider how factors of non-stock bumpers may affect things, if you plan that. I have the light/medium OME suspension. I added an ARB front bumper this year. It is a net gain on weight, but not excessive. I do think it gave the vehicle just a slight stink bug look that I like.

I think that is hard to predict with such precision. You will have to start somewhere that gets you back to a capable suspension, then fine tune, so to speak. I'm sure a lot of folks would recommend an Old Man Emu suspension; medium or heavy, depending on your expected utility, then go from there. Also consider how factors of non-stock bumpers may affect things, if you plan that. I have the light/medium OME suspension. I added an ARB front bumper this year. It is a net gain on weight, but not excessive. I do think it gave the vehicle just a slight stink bug look that I like.
Now if i were to do, lets say Heavy in the back with medium in the front could that also contribute to having the "stink bug" look? Also if i ended up getting too much of a stink bug look would it be bad if i had spacers between the axle and spring to lower the back end down a bit? I just want to get a feel for what can be done safely to get to where i want.

I went with the medium OME in the back and the heavy up front. This resulted in the rear fender being 1.5 inches higher than the front. I wouldn't go heavy on the rear unless you are planning on having a lot of weight back there. I went heavy on the front due to the bull bar and winch. medium on the rear cause Im not planning on a rear bumper or tire carrier. Id base the strength of the suspension on the loads you are planning on, the stinkbug comes anyway.
KUDai86XTAebvJFBqxfy2g.jpg

This pic is before the winch and bull bar, so it might be a little lower now

I went with the medium OME in the back and the heavy up front. This resulted in the rear fender being 1.5 inches higher than the front. I wouldn't go heavy on the rear unless you are planning on having a lot of weight back there. I went heavy on the front due to the bull bar and winch. medium on the rear cause Im not planning on a rear bumper or tire carrier. Id base the strength of the suspension on the loads you are planning on, the stinkbug comes anyway.View attachment 2184337
Thats not a bad look, i guess i should look into how much each spring weight capacity is and do some calculations.

When the roofline is horizontal, (body horizontal) the front wheel well/ fender cutout will naturally have more space above the front tires than the rears. The front wheel well fender cutout is larger and higher in the front than the rear

When the roofline is horizontal, (body horizontal) the front wheel well/ fender cutout will naturally have more space above the front tires than the rears. The front wheel well fender cutout is larger and higher in the front than the rear

And that is the opposite of how it appears in the photo in post #6. @Fieldtester96 ...you can add a leaf to OME suspensions to beef them up on either end.

And that is the opposite of how it appears in the photo in post #6. @Fieldtester96 ...you can add a leaf to OME suspensions to beef them up on either end.
How hard is adding a leaf? also is the difference from light, medium, and heavy just the number of leafs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom