60 Series Truck Too Far Gone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a line on a 1989 HJ61 running a 4L diesel with an H55 but with some body issues, rust. It is a Canadian truck and I am not worried about the import issues at this point as I can register it up north and bring it down for a little while. Anyway, truck has 140K miles RHD, power optioned out and on top of the body issues requires new taillight, repair fuel tank, new windshield, exhaust, bumper and some front end work. Just wanting to get fellow mudders view on what they think something like this would be worth, seller is in the 5K range. Here are some pics of the rust.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108865649324721454763/TLC#5767988696411619938

Hopefully you all can see this album and the body issues I am talking about.

Last edited:
Got a line on a 1989 HJ61 running a 4L diesel with an H55 but with some body issues, rust. It is a Canadian truck and I am not worried about the import issues at this point as I can register it up north and bring it down for a little while. Anyway, truck has 140K miles RHD, power optioned out and on top of the body issues requires new taillight, repair fuel tank, new windshield, exhaust, bumper and some front end work. Just wanting to get fellow mudders view on what they think something like this would be worth, seller is in the 5K range. Here are some pics of the rust.

No pics attached.

J

photostream

Sorry guys, trying to get pics up on this but daggum its a pita.

Quite a bit of rust but I think it is fixable if your so inclined. Any shots of the frame? or inside?

Supposedly the frame has some surface rust but is solid with no holes or compromised areas and the interior is in decent shape with no rips, tears in it. AC works but needs recharge on it. No other pics though.

Easy fix.

X2... Just a little time, patience, and alcohol consumption.. It'll all be good.

J

This is coming from a couple of madmen FYI!
haha, I guarantee its worse then it looks, which is already pretty bad but that wouldn't stop me from buying it, or pistonpete and reevesci from bringing it back to museum quality :)

It will be a fun little truck if the price is right.

This is coming from a couple of madmen FYI!
haha, I guarantee its worse then it looks, which is already pretty bad but that wouldn't stop me from buying it, or pistonpete and reevesci from bringing it back to museum quality :)

It will be a fun little truck if the price is right.

YEAH SNOWMAN PEGGED US PETE! MOOO HA HA HA HA!!
joker-killingjoke61.jpg

I still say easy... I'd try to get the seller to lower the price because of the rust. BUT, if it runs, drives and the interior is in good shape..... YEAH JUST DO IT!

J

With a 12ht, h55 and not rotten frame it's easily worth 5 grand! Get pictures of the frame though, our Canadian trucks like to rot from the inside out :doh:

So guys, would you replace the panels or cut and replace with steel patches the areas with rust? Also, who is a good source for body panels, patches for these rigs?

It all depends on whats under that coat of paint, blast it and you will have to go from there. You can buy new panels, I cant remember who has them or source from a mudder. The two madmen I believe both replaced whole panels. There is a lot of good info on rust repair and a lot of people doing some serious work right now. Back when I first got my rig I was a noob and in the dark no it seems like everyone is doing it. On mine, I patched with steel, no complete parts. But I dont think thats the best way to go, its just more cost effective depending on how bad it is.

I just looked it over again, and like I said there is now way of know whats under that paint but really I just see some blasting and if the steel is still there you are golden, there is one or two for sure holes. The worse of it is in the rocker panels, which I would just cut all the way off and call it good. It really dont look to bad... but it also looks painted to me...

Such low miles!

People have fixed much worse on here but you gotta love body work!

The frame will be the deal breaker/maker.

If the frame is gone consider a drivetrain swap into an FJ from the states.

On a side note: It makes me a bit sad seeing such a nice truck so neglected, why don't so many people ever wash their cruisers? All that rust is preventable with a little washing/rustproofing here and there. Oh well, each to their own I guess.

Good luck, thats a fine truck.

Hey cody, I actually came across a 88 high top out on kijiji that looks in way better shape. I'm trying to nail down some details on that one to see if I can get my buddy in Calgary to look into it. The one I started this thread on is where I am going to be on vacation which is why I am even looking at it. I love the look of the high tops and it would look great in my driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom