60 series....Tech and Classifieds (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bomar

SILVER Star
Threads
I have some options that I am considering sooner than later so I figured be better to make it all about the 60 series.

I am looking hard into v8 conversion.

I want the CLC gods input on which motor and why.

My first option is a 5.3 or 6.0 LQ9 and 2wd 4l60e/toybox to splitcase. Then I don't have to worry with adapters. The toybox would add about a grand more but I think it would be worth it.

Option 2 5.7 TBI 700r4/toybox

#3 new crate motor carbed....700r4/toybox

#4 wait till Gary is ready to sell Project X2....

Project X2 is awesome. I have been following it. What do you think he would want for that project once he tires of it? Its the best of all three worlds.....

I am not considered one of the CLC gods so I will leave that to the appropriate folks. Good luck to you though.

Awesome thread already, Bomar! I have wanted a FJ62 since I saw my neighbor's in the early 90's.

Other than buying my son his aunt's 2001 100 and making gradual upgrades to the GunRunner, I want to follow your lead on building a V8 FJ62 as soon as the funds allow. Hopefully in the next 3 - 5 years. If the right 62 was available locally, I might be convinced to make the purchase. A 62 with a great body and interior with a decent 3FE and a dead or dying A440 at $2 -3K could make me move quicker. The 3FE could go in the GunRunner. Anyway... This will be one of my favorite threads for quite a while.

Is there a new 6.2 GM gas engine? Seems appropriate.

i miss my 60

33944_3545835558022_1036502231_32751874_787741981_n.jpg

Is there a new 6.2 GM gas engine? Seems appropriate.

That would be pretty slick.

Last weekend I was at my buddy's salvage yard thumbing through the computer looking at engine/transmission prices. The 6.2's and newer 6 speed transmissions are HIGH; even at salvage prices.

There are tons of 5.3's out there. A low mileage 5.3 with a 4L60E seems to be the sweet spot. List price was less than $2k for the combo complete with a fully intact wiring harness.

The 5.3 and tranny can be had for $800-1500 all day long. I paid $1200 for my 6.0 and it had only 23,000 miles. Slight mods and I was right at 385 hp.

Fuel injection is a no brainier just because it is all so cheap and reliable. EZ Wiring kits are a dime a dozen.

Also, unless you are going to beat it up on 4-5 trails, the Auto will give you all the gearing you need.

I don't remember why but I remember that for some reason I liked the 700R4 over the 4L60 when I was looking hard at v8's.

I don't remember why but I remember that for some reason I liked the 700R4 over the 4L60 when I was looking hard at v8's.

Basically the same transmission from what I understand. Just that the 700r4 is hydraulic and the 4l60e ie electronic. 700r4 would be simpler and can be built to stand a fair amount of HP. Nice low first gear and overdrive fourth.

I agree with Nolen on the toybox. It wont be needed on a street rig that does some expo duty. If you plan to crawl it then go for the toybox!

If the right 62 was available locally, I might be convinced to make the purchase. A 62 with a great body and interior with a decent 3FE and a dead or dying A440 at $2 -3K could make me move quicker. The 3FE could go in the GunRunner.

Toyota Landcruisers x 2 - 1988 FJ62 pair

Here ya go. He will entertain an offer on one of them...;)

FYI....Mark Heckle here in Memphis is going to sell the "raffle" 62. I wish I didn't love mine so much....I would upgrade to his.

4.88s
ARB's f & r
Slee Rear bumper
Rodney trans kit
Rebuilt motor
ARB front bumper
Long range tank
Slee step sliders
80 wheels and Firestone MTs
and on on on...

Stupid sweet rig.

$1800. Go get it!

1983 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60

1983 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 - $1800 (Mountain View, Arkansas)

I am selling my project truck. It is a 1983 FJ60. It has many new parts that could be used on another FJ60 or the project can be finished. I have run out of time to complete it. I have spent over $5000 in the last few years on parts and repairs. The GOOD: Newer Parts OME Springs and Shocks. Rebuilt Carb by Jim C. On the ih8mud forum. Rebuilt engine less than 2k on it. Rebuilt intake and exhaust manifold. OEM Plugs wires and distributor cap. Liberator tires in like new condition 31x10.50's Newer CAT Back Exhaust. The BAD: The truck does have rust, Many of the rust spots have been cut out and replaced. The tailgate needs repaired or replaced, as does the lift gate. The truck needs a paint job. It does not have a rear bumper. It does run well on the road but has trouble idling without the choke pulled out slightly at times. It does leak some oil. The interior does not have carpet, it does have rubber matting on the floor. The seats are in good used condition. The headliner could use some repair. Please contact me for more pics, or info. I am motivated to sell it, make an offer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom