60 Series Rear Badging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
Some of you may have seen I recently restored the 4WD emblem on the back of my '84. Seen here:

I came across a photo while researching things for this restoration that shows what appears to be a 1981 FJ60 with FJ40 style rear badging on the tailgate:

1981-Toyota-LandCruiseer-FJ60-Olive-Green-IMG_1902.jpg

This photo seemed to be from some sort of long-defunct Internet sales ad (came up in a google images search with the link going to an ad for a different vehicle altogether). Now to my relatively fresh cruiser knowledge base, the badging on the back of the 60 series seen in this photo was not a stock configuration, and AFAIK this setup up was never seen on a factory fresh 60 series. I assumed it was done by the seller to enhance the retro look of the truck to help with its sale. I looked further however, and noticed this 60 series does not have the rear wiper on the rear lift gate, which got me to thinking that perhaps my limited knowledge base has failed me and that there was indeed a setup of some sort (perhaps overseas model) which did have the more retro looking badges of the 40 series as a stock configuration. I am not that familiar with the 40 series, but seem to recall the rear 'Toyota' badge as being curved on one side to allow it to sit flush with the body curve of the 40 series. The badge in the above photo does not seem to have any such curve in it and appears to be flat again supporting the idea that there was a stock retro badging setup on non-US/US 60 series. Being its an '81, maybe that was how early models came. I just don't recall ever seeing one like that. Anyone know if this is the case or not? More a curiosity at this point, but am digging the retro badging in this photo. Thanks in advance for replies.

Last edited:
I can't answer your question directly, but I do know that the 1981 trucks in North America were a unique variant of the 60's.

I had a 1981 BJ60 years ago. It had:
- manual steering, with unique steering wheel
- 4 spd tranny (all later BJ's had 5 spd H55F's)
- vinyl bench seats front and back
- vinyl door panels that did not extend over the steel at the top of the door
- vinyl flooring instead of carpet
- and a steel bar/guard that attached to the rear tailgate

My truck was missing the 4WD emblem on the tailgate (there was a rust hole in it's place), but there was no evidence of any emblem on the left side. The side 'LandCruiser' emblems matched the normal 60 series emblem. Mine had the 'G' on the front, but this was normal for the diesels.

I really liked that truck, I just didn't know at the time how unique it was...

Just from a consistency point of view, I can't recall Toyota ever placing two "TOYOTA" badges on the back of any Toyota. Since the license plate lighting fixture has the emblem already, I'm calling that 2nd badge stuck on the left rear an imposter. My guess it was stuck on afterwards by the owner.

Both rear badges are wrong AFAIK. The 4WD badge is a more straightforward design. Mine had
Blue painted center on the lettering

Just from a consistency point of view, I can't recall Toyota ever placing two "TOYOTA" badges on the back of any Toyota. Since the license plate lighting fixture has the emblem already, I'm calling that 2nd badge stuck on the left rear an imposter. My guess it was stuck on afterwards by the owner.

Yeah good point. A little bit TOYOTA overkill. I have always liked the 4WD badge on the 40's. Saw this and just wondered if perhaps that was actually used by Toyota at some point on the 60 series as well. But agreed prolly something the owner put on there to help with the sale. Looks pretty cool though. Wonder if the 40 series 4WD badge mounting clips fit into the same factory tailgate holes as the original 60 series 4WD badge or if the owner had to stick this on there some other way. Anyway, I thought it was interesting look. Thanks for the replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom