60 Series oil leak, help this Doc diagnose and fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the last three months I have noticed a leak on my garage floor. I installed the H55 a year ago and had the oil galley plug fixed at the same time. It is leaking more and more. I got under the truck and took a picture. Can anyone tell me what part numbers I need? In the posted picture the oil drain plug is opposite where I circled. The plastic part circled is half broken and the oil is leaking out of there. Thanks!

oil leak.jpg

Was the Rear Main Seal done when the Trans was installed?

That circled thing is just a rubber plug in the weep hole for the Bell Housing Cover.

Was the Rear Main Seal done when the Trans was installed?

That circled thing is just a rubber plug in the weep hole for the Bell Housing Cover.
Take inspection plate off and look. You have 3 options:

1. RMS
2. Oil Plan Gasket
3. Input shaft seal (new h55 rules this possibility out, but still mentioning it for relevance).

The rubber plug like @Spike Strip said is just a plug, becomes wet/leaks when aforementioned items leak fluid.

Thanks for your input. Sorry to take you away from the Superbowl. I'll check my receipts to see if the RMS was done. I'll get under it next weekend.

Thanks for your input. Sorry to take you away from the Superbowl. I'll check my receipts to see if the RMS was done. I'll get under it next weekend.

Also, various slow leaks further up can migrate down and present themselves at that same spot. The valve cover gasket and side cover gasket are both candidates for this, and even after replacing, the leftover oil on the side of the block can keep moving and showing up as drips long after you've stopped leaking... unless you do a real deep clean.

You might consider removing that plug and letting any accumulated oil drain (if RMS is the source). If the clutch is new or newish very easy to contaminate if the oil gets sloshed around in Bellhousing.

Also, that BH/Clutch cover is easy to remove for inspection.

HTH.

When was the last time you did the valve cover gasket. Mine really liked leaking out the back of the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom