60 series off-road capability vs Toyota pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My truck needed a lot of repair for whatever reason but not really any more than my 60 does. It was fairly reliable but needed constant things done to it. Had 52,000 miles when I got it. It was way easier to get things done on it than my 60 is. Was a different time/situation though. Parts for the truck were readily available whereas it can be a bit of a challenge to source them quickly for the 60 these days. So not apples to apples comparison. The truck was maybe slightly more reliable than the 60 because of the FI versus carb, but the 60 is way easier to work on than the truck ever was. Overall as far as reliability though, my experience was both were pretty similar. Old trucks need work regardless of who made them not sure there is any compelling reason to choose one or the other there. Maybe aftermarket support for the truck would be slightly better? But the aftermarket is getting better and better every day for the 60 series. For my frame the truck was pretty small though. I can tell you I kick myself daily for selling that truck.

This thread inspired me to have a look at the local CL to see if there were any truck deals and I came across this one. 1992 Toyota sr5 pickup - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... - https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/franklin-1992-toyota-sr5-pickup/7415093501.html

And my first thought is....Why wouldn't you air up the tires before you took and posted the ad? Even if the tires are toast and no longer hold air....go buy 4 cans of "fix-a-flat" and fill em up.
Isn’t running. Sat for a long time. Flat tires and rust issues, but you won’t find a better one??? Hmmmmm…

Isn’t running. Sat for a long time. Flat tires and rust issues, but you won’t find a better one??? Hmmmmm…
Yep....the beauty of Craigslist. "Only rust is on passenger front fender, solid frame" ....proceeds to post photos of rusty frame :)

my father has a 2003 VW Jetta TDI wagon thats pretty much done due to rust. Has relatively low mileage and a good 1.9 liter TDI engine in it. I've been keeping my eyes open for small toyota trucks in need of engines as there are some kits to do the vw swap and it would make a great around town utility vehicle

I sold my '93 R22RE truck a couple of years ago. As others have said, truck was very nimble & would get me through most everything, it is now enjoying it's life in Guatemala. I regret very much selling the truck but I do love driving my 5.3L Vortec powered 60 a lot more.

View attachment 2853572

View attachment 2853573

View attachment 2853574

View attachment 2853575
Wow amazing truck and cruiser! Yea the only thing that keeps me worried is my pickup is a 3.0 v6…. Had to do a head gasket. Decently hard job.

Wow amazing truck and cruiser! Yea the only thing that keeps me worried is my pickup is a 3.0 v6…. Had to do a head gasket. Decently hard job.
22RE is one of the best engines out there IMHO, but I’ve heard it from a couple of friends that their V6 was great after the head gasket issues were fixed.

Most of the Toy trucks I see are being towed to Mexico by other Toy trucks. They are considered "gold" there.

We see them here in Texas rolling down IH35. Mexico and Central America destinations

I was in a similar boat to the OP, debating between an 80 series and a first gen Tacoma. I would've kept my little pickup if it weren't for the frame rust. It was so much more fun and engaging to drive than my current 97 Land Cruiser.

I've never driven a 60 series, but the 80 with an auto just feels too big and heavy for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool durable classic, but it's kind of agricultural as a DD. I'd stick with the pick up if you want a more practical DD/beater, or if you want more of a project/"investment"/showcar type thing, keep the Land Cruiser. Just my .02

22RE is one of the best engines out there IMHO, but I’ve heard it from a couple of friends that their V6 was great after the head gasket issues were fixed.

I wouldn't let the headgasket issue on the 3vze scare you away. I've done two now and if the headgasket is properly fixed, you're looking at the motor going another 200-300k before it pops again.

In regards to the landcruiser vs pickup? It's clear that the pickup is going to be a bit more nimble/maneuverable than the landcruiser but i think i'd take the 60 series over the pickup unless the pickup is something special. Stock for stock? Landcruiser it is.

I recently got back from a off-road trip at the amazing Whipsaw trail. During our 2 day trip, our fleet consisted of 2 jeeps, my Toyota pickup, my Toyota Land Cruiser, and a quad. I thought I would share my thoughts after my first time off-roading my rigs.

First things first, Jeeps are amazing off-road. Their coil spring suspension design allows them to flex amazingly and get great traction in places where my Toyotas couldn’t - no surprise there. But as far as my Pickup Vs LC goes, I think the pickup did better in some places, it has a unique ability to find traction in most places, it’s amazing how well the stock vehicle can do, there were even places where my Toyota pickup would go that my uncles Jeep couldn’t make it up, but I think that’s more to do with skill level than capability. The pickup truck is a lot nimbler and more maneuverable than the LC, it’s got the same ground clearance and a longer wheel base which allows it to get better traction in different places, it’s also high off the ground but not top heavy, but also light weight in general.

The LC does seem to have better front axle flex, but almost seems irrelevant given it’s extreme top heaviness, and it’s weight. I believe those to be the main draw backs to the LC. What surprised me is the pure durability of the LC! Every other vehicle had some sort of weird problem except for the LC. That is one thing I can confidently say the LC is better at, both jeeps had U-Joint problems.

At the end of the day, I learned a lot! I leaned how wheel placement truly is everything, why you need momentum but don’t want to be spinning the rocks underneath you, and also how to spare your vehicles underside from rocks and logs, Ouch! Not to forget how to be safe around winches and how to use recovery gear properly and safely. - don’t forget to trust your spotter.

Both vehicles are very capable in their own ways, each one has their pros and cons, even the jeeps too! However at the end of the day I believe the Cruiser as great potential to surpass other vehicles, but it’s really just as good as any other 4x4 of its time

6DB91393-5DBD-4A94-81B1-03A8495FBDB9.jpeg

0C05B9E5-851E-48FA-A985-0AF38025B3B0.jpeg

286F6A3A-63F2-4D7D-89B4-B5097FC359F9.jpeg

D8F92B3A-A5E8-4AEF-A730-451685977F8E.jpeg

I recently got back from a off-road trip at the amazing Whipsaw trail. During our 2 day trip, our fleet consisted of 2 jeeps, my Toyota pickup, my Toyota Land Cruiser, and a quad. I thought I would share my thoughts after my first time off-roading my rigs.

First things first, Jeeps are amazing off-road. Their coil spring suspension design allows them to flex amazingly and get great traction in places where my Toyotas couldn’t - no surprise there. But as far as my Pickup Vs LC goes, I think the pickup did better in some places, it has a unique ability to find traction in most places, it’s amazing how well the stock vehicle can do, there were even places where my Toyota pickup would go that my uncles Jeep couldn’t make it up, but I think that’s more to do with skill level than capability. The pickup truck is a lot nimbler and more maneuverable than the LC, it’s got the same ground clearance and a longer wheel base which allows it to get better traction in different places, it’s also high off the ground but not top heavy, but also light weight in general.

The LC does seem to have better front axle flex, but almost seems irrelevant given it’s extreme top heaviness, and it’s weight. I believe those to be the main draw backs to the LC. What surprised me is the pure durability of the LC! Every other vehicle had some sort of weird problem except for the LC. That is one thing I can confidently say the LC is better at, both jeeps had U-Joint problems.

At the end of the day, I learned a lot! I leaned how wheel placement truly is everything, why you need momentum but don’t want to be spinning the rocks underneath you, and also how to spare your vehicles underside from rocks and logs, Ouch! Not to forget how to be safe around winches and how to use recovery gear properly and safely. - don’t forget to trust your spotter.

Both vehicles are very capable in their own ways, each one has their pros and cons, even the jeeps too! However at the end of the day I believe the Cruiser as great potential to surpass other vehicles, but it’s really just as good as any other 4x4 of its time

View attachment 3071874

View attachment 3071875

View attachment 3071876

View attachment 3071877
After wheeling a first gen Tacoma and an 80 series these were more or less my thoughts as well.

Land Cruisers were designed for durability first and foremost. In their primary markets, people don't go off-roading or trail-riding for fun. These are used to lug people and gear over unimproved dirt roads for many years of service while needing minimal repairs and maintenance.

Stock for stock and all else being equal, a minitruck will probably make a better trail rig/daily driver in a North American setting. But the Land Cruiser will take more of a beating.

I was faced with the same choice last year. I don’t/won’t do any hard-core off roading. I loved the pep and fuel economy of the 3.0 V-6 in Lil Red. But I hated squeezing my dog in the back seat and would never let him ride in the bed unless kenneled.

The FJ60 does everything Lil Red does, but slower and thirstier.

Overall, the 60 is more comfortable and durable very capable. Lil Red is equally capable in it’s own right, but not comfortable at ALL. The seats SUCK. But a/c means a lot in the summer.

I wish I could’ve kept both, but I just couldn’t.
80BC17C9-55DE-43C7-A361-7360A9C5F22E.jpeg
42645671-9AAA-48BF-9686-1FDBBED6828E.jpeg

Yea 60 series sure is insanely durable. I’m not saying on this thread that it’s bad off-road - it’s not, but I am discovering how the different vehicles operate. Again the 60 is very slow off-road, but ALWAYS gets there. I never had to be pulled up the mountains…… the Cruiser always follows through when other vehicles worry about breaking.

In the end if I had to keep one, it would be the cruiser, it’s just such a honest rig.

I guess if I also had to do a off road build, again I would also choose the cruiser, but I really try not abuse the old girl.

Yea 60 series sure is insanely durable. I’m not saying on this thread that it’s bad off-road - it’s not, but I am discovering how the different vehicles operate. Again the 60 is very slow off-road, but ALWAYS gets there. I never had to be pulled up the mountains…… the Cruiser always follows through when other vehicles worry about breaking.

In the end if I had to keep one, it would be the cruiser, it’s just such a honest rig.

I guess if I also had to do a off road build, again I would also choose the cruiser, but I really try not abuse the old girl.
Does your Cruiaer have the auto? If so I’d save up for a 5 speed swap. It’d have more pep and probably perform better on trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom