60 series off-road capability vs Toyota pickup

• Thread starter gimme a 60
  • Start date
  • Watchers 9
Gretsch

Gretsch

SILVER Star
My truck needed a lot of repair for whatever reason but not really any more than my 60 does. It was fairly reliable but needed constant things done to it. Had 52,000 miles when I got it. It was way easier to get things done on it than my 60 is. Was a different time/situation though. Parts for the truck were readily available whereas it can be a bit of a challenge to source them quickly for the 60 these days. So not apples to apples comparison. The truck was maybe slightly more reliable than the 60 because of the FI versus carb, but the 60 is way easier to work on than the truck ever was. Overall as far as reliability though, my experience was both were pretty similar. Old trucks need work regardless of who made them not sure there is any compelling reason to choose one or the other there. Maybe aftermarket support for the truck would be slightly better? But the aftermarket is getting better and better every day for the 60 series. For my frame the truck was pretty small though. I can tell you I kick myself daily for selling that truck.

Seth S

Seth S

cps432

cps432

This thread inspired me to have a look at the local CL to see if there were any truck deals and I came across this one. 1992 Toyota sr5 pickup - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... - https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/franklin-1992-toyota-sr5-pickup/7415093501.html

And my first thought is....Why wouldn't you air up the tires before you took and posted the ad? Even if the tires are toast and no longer hold air....go buy 4 cans of "fix-a-flat" and fill em up.
Isn’t running. Sat for a long time. Flat tires and rust issues, but you won’t find a better one??? Hmmmmm…

Seth S

Seth S

my father has a 2003 VW Jetta TDI wagon thats pretty much done due to rust. Has relatively low mileage and a good 1.9 liter TDI engine in it. I've been keeping my eyes open for small toyota trucks in need of engines as there are some kits to do the vw swap and it would make a great around town utility vehicle

MoaByte

MoaByte

SILVER Star
Most of the Toy trucks I see are being towed to Mexico by other Toy trucks. They are considered "gold" there.

gimme a 60

gimme a 60

I sold my '93 R22RE truck a couple of years ago. As others have said, truck was very nimble & would get me through most everything, it is now enjoying it's life in Guatemala. I regret very much selling the truck but I do love driving my 5.3L Vortec powered 60 a lot more.

View attachment 2853572

View attachment 2853573

View attachment 2853574

View attachment 2853575
Wow amazing truck and cruiser! Yea the only thing that keeps me worried is my pickup is a 3.0 v6…. Had to do a head gasket. Decently hard job.

meatloaf

meatloaf

Wow amazing truck and cruiser! Yea the only thing that keeps me worried is my pickup is a 3.0 v6…. Had to do a head gasket. Decently hard job.
22RE is one of the best engines out there IMHO, but I’ve heard it from a couple of friends that their V6 was great after the head gasket issues were fixed.

Ozark80

Ozark80

I was in a similar boat to the OP, debating between an 80 series and a first gen Tacoma. I would've kept my little pickup if it weren't for the frame rust. It was so much more fun and engaging to drive than my current 97 Land Cruiser.

I've never driven a 60 series, but the 80 with an auto just feels too big and heavy for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool durable classic, but it's kind of agricultural as a DD. I'd stick with the pick up if you want a more practical DD/beater, or if you want more of a project/"investment"/showcar type thing, keep the Land Cruiser. Just my .02

MaK92 4RnR

MaK92 4RnR

22RE is one of the best engines out there IMHO, but I’ve heard it from a couple of friends that their V6 was great after the head gasket issues were fixed.

I wouldn't let the headgasket issue on the 3vze scare you away. I've done two now and if the headgasket is properly fixed, you're looking at the motor going another 200-300k before it pops again.

In regards to the landcruiser vs pickup? It's clear that the pickup is going to be a bit more nimble/maneuverable than the landcruiser but i think i'd take the 60 series over the pickup unless the pickup is something special. Stock for stock? Landcruiser it is.