60 series off-road capability vs Toyota pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does your Cruiaer have the auto? If so I’d save up for a 5 speed swap. It’d have more pep and probably perform better on trails.

I have a engine and 5 speed for it. Just waiting for parts.

Does your Cruiaer have the auto? If so I’d save up for a 5 speed swap. It’d have more pep and probably perform better on trails.
I have an H55 in my FJ60 with 4.10 gears 1st gear is super low. Reminiscent of what my Pig felt like in 1st. But I can comfortably cruise at 65-70mph. That super low first is definitely a benefit off-road. I was torn between the 5spd or a V-8 swap and went with the 5 speed. I love it and has made it virtually impossible for me to seriously getting rid of it.

I have an H55 in my FJ60 with 4.10 gears 1st gear is super low. Reminiscent of what my Pig felt like in 1st. But I can comfortably cruise at 65-70mph. That super low first is definitely a benefit off-road. I was torn between the 5spd or a V-8 swap and went with the 5 speed. I love it and has made it virtually impossible for me to seriously getting rid of it.
Yea those vintage autos are not very good for off-roading IME. Seems like they’re always hesitating and hunting for a gear, even when you put it in L. In a 5 speed you can just throw it in 1st/lo and crawl. You also get vastly better engine compression for steep descents where you’d be burning up the brakes in an auto.

It’s has the auto but I have a 5 speed for It.

You said all the vehicles had issues except for it. What happened with the pickup?
The pickup is also really really durable…. We definitely drove it the hardest. It developed a weird grind, sound like it might be coming from the T-case. Oh well, I’m not worried about it.

The jeeps have junk front axles - they did a lot of 2 wheel driving and some, really conservative wheeling.

Yea those vintage autos are not very good for off-roading IME. Seems like they’re always hesitating and hunting for a gear, even when you put it in L. In a 5 speed you can just throw it in 1st/lo and crawl. You also get vastly better engine compression for steep descents where you’d be burning up the brakes in an auto.
It’s freshly rebuilt, shifts hard….. did Okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom