60 series long range fuel tank-the search- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know that 82-SOA-60 is running a long range fuel tank but his gauge doesn't register, probably just a messed up sending unit. He told me he was willing to trade for a stock tank in good condition. He is in Grants Pass, OR and might be willing to make a trade if no shipping is involved. PM him, I would call him but it's too late right now.

Mike S said:
SOR is now importing the Opposite Lock tank? I exchanged e-mail with the Opposite Lock guys las Summer, and they wanted like $900 and shipping from Australia. Ouch.

I have a very good fabricator (he made my trailer) and planned on checking him to see if he would build me a 50 gallon tank from stainless or aluminum. I expect the price to be $400 to $500.

M

900.00 PLUS shipping?

That sir is robbery! I paid 550.00 (US) pluss 300.00 shipping.

Total LESS than 900.00.

BS man.

TB

Not to defend Specter, but the US dollar is pretty weak vs. the Aussie dollar, so everything coming out of Oz is going to be more expensive.

I just bought the 38-gallon tank that Manafre sells, Jim Brantley has been running that for 5+ years and he's been very happy with it. I'm anticipating having to do something about the rear springs, but I want to wait until all the mods are done first.

I also have some experience with the Opposite Lock auxiliary tank for the 60 series, which mounts to the driver's side (passenger side for you RHD fellows) framerail and gravity feeds into the main tank. It's 18 gallons and you have to get the y-split fuel filler neck, I'm not 100% sure it comes with the tank. This tank is almost as expensive as a replacement long range tank, probably only worth it if you are serious about long-range expeditions. With a diesel engine you'd be looking at about 1,700 mile range (cross the US with just one refill!) and some *SERIOUS* sticker shock (over $155 at my local diesel prices) when you fill it up.

Still, safer and easier than carrying jerry cans, I'm looking forward to leaving those behind.

I have wanted a long range tank for years so I am just joining to see what else is out there...thanks ..

Henry how far in advance did you have to order your tank from MAF to actually get one?? Thanks

Mike S said:
Ken, I don't know. If he makes two at once, there has to be some savings, I would think. I will check with him and post if I learn something...

M

How about a group buy? I might be in for one. And I'm in Oregon with Ken

I will call him this evening and see if he can tell me if he can do it, and what the cost might be.

M

Group buy, eh . . .

ummmm, maybe Aerotanks would do a production run if they had a number of hard commitments ( i.e., group buy)

soggy60 said:
Group buy, eh . . .

ummmm, maybe Aerotanks would do a production run if they had a number of hard commitments ( i.e., group buy)

Why don't you ask them??

M

calfj60 said:
I have wanted a long range tank for years so I am just joining to see what else is out there...thanks ..

Henry how far in advance did you have to order your tank from MAF to actually get one?? Thanks

I bought it last week, and they were in stock, it's already on its way to Colorado (truck shipping).

60 series long range gas tank

I searched the SOR site for the Aux tank and could not find it. What can you tell me about it? Where does it go? I currently have the 40 gal MAF tank in my 60 and really like it. Thanks
Mike TLCA 8009

60 series long range gas tank

Sorry my last post was in response to crawlin60's post of 1-2-03. I guess I should have looked at the date.

Mike El Paso TLCA 8009

Henry, That is amazing luck you have. I have gone out twice with cash in hand cause they said they had them and as you can tell....they didn't :frown:

Id be interested in that aux tank ole Henry has talked about.

Is that an Opposite Lock jobber?

TB

calfj60 said:
Henry, That is amazing luck you have. I have gone out twice with cash in hand cause they said they had them and as you can tell....they didn't :frown:

I've been waiting since about November for windows from MAF. Just needed checkups about once a month to Steve-O (on this board), and got a call this week he has some for me. Sometimes it works out quickly, sometimes it doesn't, but Steve has given me a new outlook on MAF for his persistence and followup.

I may be the exception, but I have never had a problem with MAF. It's not a place to order from when you need stuff in a hurry, but I've been lucky, my stuff has shipped relatively quickly every time.

I don't know if SOR or MAF still carry the 18-gallon auxiliary tank. I believe it's a Longer Ranger tank, or used to be. The one I have experience with was installed six years ago and sourced from one of the two shops.

D'Animal please tell me this isn't a thinly veiled swipe at me re; my long range tank question.

Nope.

I thank you for putting me onto it.

I did not even know they had such a thing for the 60's until I searched. Every time I searched for a long range fuel tank I came up with the 80 series stuff or the 40 series stuff. I never thought to specifically search in the 60 series section.

Last friday night I was laying under my rig installing my new OME lift. I was thinking about installing my extra FJ60 tank under the frame directly under the factory location.

I don't know if it would fit, but it would give me aprox 44 gallons of fuel. I have a Kaymar bumper so getting to the factory mounted spare is out of the question so I have the room to do it.

I was about to post up a thread asking if some one had every done this before.

Thanks Again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom