60 series leaky steering knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys i was looking at an 87 hj60 and noticed excessive grease around the steering knuckles, is this anything to be concerned about

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2700 2.JPG

axle seal looks like it's leaking on one side.
The history of the truck would be good if you can get some info. Like if it's ever had a knuckle rebuild.
Mine looks like that unfortunately, and I've been putting off the rebuild for months.
The rebuild kits aren't expensive, but it's a big job if you want to diy.

If you keep grease in the knuckle cavity, what the outside looks like doesn't matter. That picture looks "normal" for a 30 year old cruiser. Just because something is located under the car doesn't mean cleaning it is forbidden.

you must be new here haha, search knuckle rebuild and get reading, there's a stunning amount of info on tools and parts needed
$2000 in labour at the mechanics or $200-500 wish if you buy parts and necessary tools
its not hard to do yourself, im currently doing it to my 60

Nope. You'll be doing knuckles eventually anyway... We've all been there, or will at some point. Necessary evil of ownership!

thanks for your help guys, i figured it was to be expected with a 30 year old cruiser but wanted to be sure

Its not a hard job- you'll hit one or two big snags that require some thinking to fix but that's it. pick up a kit, follow the reccomendations on this forum, and then get a thing of concentrated degreaser from harbor freight, a huge cheap bucket to put water and degreaser in as a ghetto parts cleaner, and as much spare cardboard as you can find and use it to protect your garage floor, then just get ready for a solid day or two of cleaning.

The cruiser outfitters kit was great! The instructions that came with it were extremely helpful for me! The job wasn’t technically challenging, I’d say a majority of my time was spent cleaning parts. So don’t let the leaking knuckles scare you away from that thing, but I would use it to negotiate the price down since it is an expensive job to have done for you.

also get a seal puller and bearing/seal driver kit its like 50 bucks from a machinery shop or your local auto parts store, well worth it instead of trying to hammer them in and f*cking them up, having to buy new ones etc

if your painting get some Rust-Oleum enamel spray paint, sets really hard
and if you have wear on your spindles where the seals ride, just pony up the cash and buy new ones, I had to...

And duck bill snap ring pliers.
It’s not overly complicated. Messy, frustrating but not complicated.
Be sure to note the shims on the knuckles and put them back the exact same way.
And...lock your hub. Makes putting the axle back in easier after replacing the inner axle seal.

C4BE630B-0DBF-435F-BFBB-B8FFA2E6665A.png

If you keep grease in the knuckle cavity, what the outside looks like doesn't matter. That picture looks "normal" for a 30 year old cruiser. Just because something is located under the car doesn't mean cleaning it is forbidden.
I guess you could say the same thing about that puddle of oil under the car as well. Just keep adding oil and it's alright. ;)

With the knuckle leak, it's not only adding the grease but gear oil as well, right? Or just do the rebuild, have fun, and not worry about running low on gear oil in the diff.

you must be new here haha, search knuckle rebuild and get reading, there's a stunning amount of info on tools and parts needed
$2000 in labour at the mechanics or $200-500 wish if you buy parts and necessary tools
its not hard to do yourself, im currently doing it to my 60
Who in their right mind charges 2 grand for a knuckle rebuild?
Holy Jaysus....

$2k is out of the box. I had a high-dollar shop near me quote $1,850 last year, but that included new rotors, calipers, and brake lines. I figured that it's a right of passage for Land Cruiser ownership, and just gritted my teeth and dove in. OTramm has a great 3-part You-Tube video of one on an 80 that was very helpful.

7.5 hrs per side? That's seems like the high end of the range for a DIY'er drinking a lot of beer and figuring it out as he goes along. I've never done one before, and it probably took me six for the first side and 3-4 for the second. If I got that quote from an actual mechanic it would be a good reason to go find another shop.

Everybody should do it at least once.

Hi, Hours seem right if they are cleaning everything . I cleaned and cleaned then repainted some parts. If you do the trunnion bearing and replace the two brake lines it’s quite a bit of work . Probably gone to find the gear box needs at least a reseal . Mike

I have to say, it doesn't sound all that unreasonable. For a shop to do it, do it 100% right, disassemble, clean, inspect, inspect some more, replace any questionable parts, paint, re-assemble, and warranty their work? It's an easy 2 days labor, plus parts, and probably a very small profit for the shop, if any at all. Would I pay that much to have it done, hell no! But, I do all my own work, have all the tools, and a place to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom