60 series door belt molding W/S (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what's the scoop on the 60 series door belt molding(weatherstriping) ? (I searched and can't seem to find the right post)

Yesterday i went out and installed a new window run(drivers door) and while I was at it did the outer belt molding(the chrome trim rubber outside of window) I took off the old chrome piece and busted all the clips, no problem I was putting new on. I went to my box of W/S and pulled out the new rubber and spent 2 hours trying to figure out how it attaches to the chrome piece. I then googled the part # and found it was the molding that just clips into the door and does not use the chrome piece. OK..that went on easy. But I'd prefer to keep the chrome if I can.

So I dug around some more in the shop and found(from 2012) just 1 of the belt molding pieces 98210 90A01 that does attach to the chrome trim. I compared the 90A01 to the 90A02(no chrome) and the rubber itself seems to be the same, except it has metal clips(not the plastic)

So.....can I get the metal clips and replace the white plastic clips on the 90A02 and use them with the chrome piece? it would seem like this would work. (however the old molding I took off had plastic clips(but not like the new stuff)

I am kinda confused ;)

hmmm. I don't know.

there was no way(at least I could figure out) the blackout rubber with the white clips was going to fit the chrome trim and the holes in the chrome do no line up with the holes in the door. (I didn't look well enough before I took the chrome off, so not even sure how they stayed put)

the rubber with white clips did work without the chrome.

here is what I got. the rubber with the white clips is the blackout rubber(no chrome) and does work just fine, clips into holes in door

rubber with the black clips is I believe the correct part to work with the chrome. (I only have the 1)

as I mentioned I am not even sure how the old chrome with rubber was attached the door....the holes in chrome don't line up with holes in door.

of course I can move the white clips around and they will go into the chrome, but the rubber to chrome does not sit correct because of the white clips and there is nothing to hold it to the door.

so what I was hoping, I can use the black out rubber with the chrome, but still can't get my head around how it attaches.

(I will admit I am exhausted and may not be thinking well)

(in pic, the rubber with white clips is the passenger side) and the chrome trim is driver side(but for discussion it makes no difference)

download (1).jpeg

download (2).jpeg

download.jpeg

here is what I got. the rubber with the white clips is the blackout rubber(no chrome) and does work just fine, clips into holes in door

rubber with the black clips is I believe the correct part to work with the chrome. (I only have the 1)

as I mentioned I am not even sure how the old chrome with rubber was attached the door....the holes in chrome don't line up with holes in door.

of course I can move the white clips around and they will go into the chrome, but the rubber to chrome does not sit correct because of the white clips and there is nothing to hold it to the door.

so what I was hoping, I can use the black out rubber with the chrome, but still can't get my head around how it attaches.

(I will admit I am exhausted and may not be thinking well)

(in pic, the rubber with white clips is the passenger side) and the chrome trim is driver side(but for discussion it makes no difference)

View attachment 1813070

View attachment 1813071

View attachment 1813072
I need to do this project as well so I will be curious to see how this pans out. I want to keep the chrome too! Let me go look at my W/S to see what I ordered. I hope its the kind that goes with the chrome.

Edit: Mine are the kind with the white plastic clips too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom