60 series belly pan/skid plate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The transfercase/transmission skid plate on my 60 has long since rusted away, it seems. Are the only options stock and grow your own? Does this change if I have an H55F? Does the stocker hold up okay on rocks, or is it a piece of tinfoil that really only helps to promote rust?

Haven't seen anything in the archives, and the usual suspects (vendors) don't seem to list anything for the 60. No, I don't have dual cases.

Thanks...

Kevin

It's not so great. It fastens with 8mm bolts to the bottom of the frame rails and the rust factor means it will come off and never go back on. Make something yourself, it will be better in the long run.

I have to do this too because my 62 sports the H55F, and the 62 frame does not have threaded holes to take the 60's skidplate.

Talk to Don at FC Fabrication in Stockton. His work is of the best quality and he makes a great crossmember /skid plate that works with all kinds of combinations. It shouldn't be too far of a drive as it seems you live in the California Gold Country.

Talk to Don at FC Fabrication in Stockton. His work is of the best quality and he makes a great crossmember /skid plate that works with all kinds of combinations. It shouldn't be too far of a drive as it seems you live in the California Gold Country.

x2 I have seen his skid plates and he does quality work.

I think Kevin @ Wagongear.com has one in the works for the 60 series wagons.

His site suggests that he's done the development and testing, I sent him a note to see how things were coming along.

That link didn't work for some reason, but memory serving me, his shop is right off 99 at waterloo road (wasn't it where the swapmeet was?). I should be able to stop by the next time I have to head into the office.

Thanks, guys.

You can have my factory one if you want is Kevin. I welded an additional piece that extended back further that may need to be cut off because of the difference in drivetrain. I welded it on to cover up the split case after is was moved back, but it might interfere with your rear driveshaft. Lemme know if you would like it.

Dylan

I don't know why the link for FC fabrication is not working, but I remember seeing their skids, they look like the top notch way to go, that is what I would have built if I had a tube bender.
They were way too far away to do a custom job for me though.
I went through the same search and I could not find a 60 skid anywhere (as in not the stock ones 'cause they're useless) so I had to design and build one for myself.
It has been on there for a year and works great, I can make more but....
I used my truck, which is not exactly stock, for a template.
I have not tested it on other cruisers to see if the fit is right.
And there are quite a few issues to consider, the two main parameters for my current design to work are that it is for a truck with a 5 speed, or a late model 4 speed-w-spacer block and the exhaust has to be above the bottom of the frame rail until it gets behind the transfer.
A little bit could be notched, but not much.

There are some pictures of what I did on my web site here.

This is odd timing since a friend of mine in the Rising Sun club has been working with me on getting another one made for his truck, we will see if that works out and how much it costs to duplicate.
:cheers:
Kevin R.

You can have my factory one if you want is Kevin. I welded an additional piece that extended back further that may need to be cut off because of the difference in drivetrain. I welded it on to cover up the split case after is was moved back, but it might interfere with your rear driveshaft. Lemme know if you would like it.

Dylan

Thanks for the offer Dylan. I plan to make something so I will pass on it. I want to learn to weld so I can start making this kinda of stuff.

COOL!

I don't know why the link for FC fabrication is not working, but I remember seeing their skids, they look like the top notch way to go, that is what I would have built if I had a tube bender.
They were way too far away to do a custom job for me though.
I went through the same search and I could not find a 60 skid anywhere (as in not the stock ones 'cause they're useless) so I had to design and build one for myself.
It has been on there for a year and works great, I can make more but....
I used my truck, which is not exactly stock, for a template.
I have not tested it on other cruisers to see if the fit is right.
And there are quite a few issues to consider, the two main parameters for my current design to work are that it is for a truck with a 5 speed, or a late model 4 speed-w-spacer block and the exhaust has to be above the bottom of the frame rail until it gets behind the transfer.
A little bit could be notched, but not much.

There are some pictures of what I did on my web site here.

This is odd timing since a friend of mine in the Rising Sun club has been working with me on getting another one made for his truck, we will see if that works out and how much it costs to duplicate.
:cheers:
Kevin R.

I'm part of Rising Sun...If ya' can, PM me the name or forum name of the person you're making it for. I'd love to take a look-see at it! You've done great work in the past - can't wait to see this. (sorry for backing out of the tailgate storage stuff - damn kids taking up all my time and money. ;) I wouldn't have it any other way, though).

Thanks for the offer Dylan. I plan to make something so I will pass on it. I want to learn to weld so I can start making this kinda of stuff.

hehe, I know you don't want it silly! The offer was for Kevin the original poster. :grinpimp: Definitely build one dude, it's not that hard.

:beer:

Dylan

hehe, I know you don't want it silly! The offer was for Kevin the original poster. :grinpimp: Definitely build one dude, it's not that hard.

:beer:

Dylan

Heh. Thanks, Dylan. This Kevin should not be allowed around a welder, and on top of that, this Kevin's 60 would probably disintegrate if it got within a quarter mile of a welder because of all the rust. It'd just be an engine, transmission and two ARB's sitting on the floor, I'm afraid.

I'll check with FC fab,and look at the other other Kevin's setup to compare to mine. I think having better protection than stock is probably wise.

Thanks, all.

I don't know how to include the threads I started so heres a couple of photo's of the skidplates I made for my 62. Making them wasn't that hard luckily I have access to hydralic bending equipement.

Changing them around to fit a manual tranny wouldn't be all that hard to figure out.

Best of luck

Tony
skidplate4.jpg
transfer case skid 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom