60 series axle with odd diff/pinion flange (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BreckenridgeCruiser

I break things.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
teqtach.com
I have two 60 axles under my 1981 BJ44 and I am finally getting around to setting up the front driveshaft. While trying to install a BJ42 (5 speed front driveshaft, it appears that while the t-case side matches up, the diff side does not. I assumed this might happen so I measured the bolt pattern and in the rear I have a bolt pattern of 68.5 x 65/66mm the front seems to be 66 x 66mm

What flange do I have for the front? I have never seen this flange in the searches I have done so I am confused.

Also, if anyone has a differential flange of the early 68.5 x 60mm I could use it!

Hopefully this will help you...

1/78-11/84 = 68.5 x 60mm
11/84-1/90 = 66 x 66mm

68.5 x 66 sounds like its later 89 and later...haven't dealt with that one yet.

1602887415537.png

Last edited:
Okay... I just measured again... Looks like both of my diffs are post '84 60 flanges. 66 x 66 on both. Makes sense too because my rear driveshaft is a double cardan (from an 81-84 60) which has the same t case flanges as a 40. I must have swapped the slip yoke side with an '85 and later to get it to match up.

Looks like I need to do the same now for the front!

Thanks!
2020-10-16 15.42.36.jpg

you can rotate the driveshaft 45 degrees and drill new holes in the flange to match your driveshaft yoke.

I assume I would just need to make sure the thing is nice and seated so that the drive shaft is aligned with the pinion to avoid vibration?

@3_puppies, that may be good in the long run as it works give me two options for slip yokes if I even have a driveshaft issue on the trail...

I plan to rebuild my axles in the near future so it might be a good time to upgrade the flanges then... In the meantime, I guess I could clamp the yoke in place to mark and center punch. Since it's the front driveshaft it doesn't have to be perfect as I won't be driving in 4wd at high speeds...

I assume I would just need to make sure the thing is nice and seated so that the drive shaft is aligned with the pinion to avoid vibration?

the raised bump on the backside self centers in the flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom