60 series 4wd solenoid “upgrade” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would take a moment to give something back to mud since Most every great idea has already been posted here. My 62 had a bad 2wd vacuum solenoid when I got it and I didn’t like the idea of the “always energized” 2wd solenoid. I replaced both with this:

It only hooks to the wires for the 4wd solenoid. In 2wd it is at rest. The 2wd line is under vacuum and the 4wd line is vented. In 4wd it energizes and the 2wd line is vented. 4wd is under vacuum. Mine has been working reliably since 2010. Just make sure to install a filter on the vent port like the oem ones have to keep the lines clean.

I’ve been rocking the zip tie for 11 years. The bracket I’m “going to make” is still on the list. I promise.

the valve is pretty small. 2.8” tall

879038C8-A163-4591-B23C-CEFB7776FFC9.jpeg

I’m still impressed with your intelligent and innovative approach in the area of what could be, after extended usage evaluation, an“ off the shelf, better then OEM replacememt part”. What is the size of your four brass screw-in fittings and where did you obtain?

Thanks for the kind words. The brass fittings are just 1/8” npt to barb fittings. I think I bought mine at a local hardware store. The bottom passenger side is the filter. I ordered it somewhere but it’s called a 1/8” npt vent filter. There are different types, but I went with the all metal type.

1615642279269.jpeg

Last edited:
Brilliant, truly.

Curious to know if your 4WD light comes on as it theoretically should? My PO rigged up some aftermarket vacuums that have worked great, but it bugs me that my 4WD light isn't on when the 4WD is engaged. All the threads say that can only be caused by a burned-out bulb or a bad T-case ball switch, so I'm just double checking your set-up to validate that conclusion.

This is a nice addition to @Randy88FJ62 's thread: Writeup: 1988 FJ62 4WD Solenoid fix for $17.77 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/writeup-1988-fj62-4wd-solenoid-fix-for-17-77.224061/
where the whole discussion of the "always on" 2WD bothered a lot of folks.

Thanks for the contribution.

Brilliant, truly.

Curious to know if your 4WD light comes on as it theoretically should? My PO rigged up some aftermarket vacuums that have worked great, but it bugs me that my 4WD light isn't on when the 4WD is engaged. All the threads say that can only be caused by a burned-out bulb or a bad T-case ball switch, so I'm just double checking your set-up to validate that conclusion.

This is a nice addition to @Randy88FJ62 's thread: Writeup: 1988 FJ62 4WD Solenoid fix for $17.77 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/writeup-1988-fj62-4wd-solenoid-fix-for-17-77.224061/
where the whole discussion of the "always on" 2WD bothered a lot of folks.

Thanks for the contribution.
Mine doesn’t but it’s the ball switch for sure. I tested the switch and it’s bad.

Do you know if that switch is P/N 8422260021, aka "Switch, transfer indicator No. 1"? I can find the new OEM for $90, but seems like a high price to pay just to get a little green light. There are two other similar switches (No's 2 and 3), so I don't want to get the wrong one. My truck is momentarily away so I can't just crawl under and check.

Thanks, and that was my first PartSouq order. Starting to think I missed out...

Thought I would take a moment to give something back to mud since Most every great idea has already been posted here. My 62 had a bad 2wd vacuum solenoid when I got it and I didn’t like the idea of the “always energized” 2wd solenoid. I replaced both with this:

It only hooks to the wires for the 4wd solenoid. In 2wd it is at rest. The 2wd line is under vacuum and the 4wd line is vented. In 4wd it energizes and the 2wd line is vented. 4wd is under vacuum. Mine has been working reliably since 2010. Just make sure to install a filter on the vent port like the oem ones have to keep the lines clean.
While converting myfj60 gasser to a 2h diesel, I needed to come up with a 12volt solenoid for the transfer activator. It was priced at $600 ouch! The remedy was $17 air switch that runs off the vacuum pump. Flip of the switch and you are there. No electric. I got the tip off this site.

While converting myfj60 gasser to a 2h diesel, I needed to come up with a 12volt solenoid for the transfer activator. It was priced at $600 ouch! The remedy was $17 air switch that runs off the vacuum pump. Flip of the switch and you are there. No electric. I got the tip off this site.
Would u be able to share a picture and part numbers?

sounds like awesome info for other converters as well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom