60 series 12HT - Rebuild or replace the turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Obviously this comes up a bit i spose, but i am doing some work to my 60 Series 12HT and looking to give the turbo a freshen up or replace.
I have been looking at either rebuilding the factory turbo which will be anywhere from $850 - $1400 (I live in Brisbane, Queensland), or i have seen the Mamba turbos on-line.
They appear to be around the $900 mark with most of the bits and pieces.

Im assuming the Mamba wont be a straight swap and might need some exhaust work, maybe not.

Has anyone installed a Mamba Turbo on their 12HT? If so, how did it go?

Thanks guys,

Adam
20131226_143954.jpeg
20130708_145426.jpeg
20131226_143653.jpeg
20131226_143931.jpeg

The only experience I have with mamba turbos is it blowing up at 20,000kms. You might get one and be fine. What is your plan? Wanting a bit more power? Generally speaking, if you are down on power the turbo probably isn't the issue if it's not making any strange noises or has a boost leak. If you are not wanting to run more boost, I would say rebuild the stock turbo.

I recently rebuilt my turbo and have been satisfied, but wishing I would have upgraded. I did a bunch of research here and the Grunter vortex green from G Turbo is pretty much a straight swap and it can run without an inter-cooler. If I had to do it again I would have upgraded.

From my research and what I’ve done. Rebuild your injectors, check injector timing,
adjust the valves and do a compression test. That way you have a solid baseline on the
engine. If the engine is solid then look at turbo work. depending on the mileage maybe think
of head gasket just so the engine will hold up to increases.
I think you have three turbo options. First, just rebuild factory turbo. Second is upgrade to
more boost and power. GTURBO is in Perth. That is the route I took. Limiting to 20 psi and it
runs like a totally different truck. Local company for you, really good tech support.
From Germany there WINK turbo. They build a factory replacement and I’ve read really
positive reviews about their turbos. I won’t bias your decision with my build. It’s in
the diesel section, or in my signature line.

what, no compound turbo setup! What a disappointment

what does that high roof look like on the inside?

Upgrade surely.
High roof is higher in the back.
much the same in the front the sunroof bits take up a bit of room.

The only experience I have with mamba turbos is it blowing up at 20,000kms. You might get one and be fine. What is your plan? Wanting a bit more power? Generally speaking, if you are down on power the turbo probably isn't the issue if it's not making any strange noises or has a boost leak. If you are not wanting to run more boost, I would say rebuild the stock turbo.

I have noticed i am using a bit of oil lately.
I have run the engine without the oil cap and there does not appear to be an blowby.
I spoke with an engine rebuilder who specializes in toyota diesels on the sunshine coast and they said that the turbo might be passing oil if the turbo is worn.
I then looked the the cross over pipes and can see oil in those, so lets look at reconditioning the turbo.
Im getting the auto rebuilt soon, so looking to freshen up other items as well.
Definitely putting in some new injectors, give the cooling system an overhaul.
I have all new drilled and slotted DBA rotors and all the bits to rebuild the front end as well.
Should drive like new or better afterwards.

i will rebuild the standard, just make if flow a little better.
Not looking to increase the boost by much. I was looking at alternatives that might be a cheaper option.

I too have been wondering what next..this is link i found and i find it too loud for my taste..wicked though if thats what you are after..for me..gturbo in perth or rebuild..😎

Yeah, watched that video. Just wondering if they are a good turbo.
But i really want to maintain my cross over pipes, so i would look at something that can be a straight swap.

Yeah, watched that video. Just wondering if they are a good turbo.
But i really want to maintain my cross over pipes, so i would look at something that can be a straight swap.
You can install a GTURBO with factory piping. They make a silicone adapter boot that’s pretty
inexpensive to adapt to the larger inlet. I use one, easy to install as factory. If you go GTurbo
you can run it as low a max as you wish with a boost controller.

Just reminder, clean up and service everything before you start this process. Getting proper injector
flow and timing is more important than turbo output.

You can install a GTURBO with factory piping. They make a silicone adapter boot that’s pretty
inexpensive to adapt to the larger inlet. I use one, easy to install as factory. If you go GTurbo
you can run it as low a max as you wish with a boost controller.

Just reminder, clean up and service everything before you start this process. Getting proper injector
flow and timing is more important than turbo output.

I am getting some pricing for some new injectors from ADS Injection in FNQ.
Will look at the Gturbo (Grunter Extreme) and throw that on.
I am after good low down power and performance. Our family goes camping a fair bit, and towing the camper-trailer at the moment, we seem to struggle on the inclines. An engine freshen up will be a few years though.
After the auto rebuild, turbo, injectors, cooling system, front end and all the brakes, it will just be suspension and engine.
The money pit. lol

I"m in the US, but I just had a shop rebuild my CT26 and so far all has been well. I think it was $450US to rebuild it.

@60 Series Duey
I saw these guys when looking at upgraded 13BT turbo's.

munro racing turbochargers

They are in Brisbane and seem to work with CT26 quite a bit. Have quite a few posts on their facebook page as well about 12HT setups.
munro racing turbos facebook

munro.png

Landcruiser 4.2 Turbocharger High Flow

I didn't use them, so I can't vouch for them, but looks promising, and they are local. I would easily go take a good look here before mamba.

Yah I'd go with getting your's rebuilt.

Now I do feel having injectors etc all tuned up is important. But if what you can do now is a turbo and nothing else, fix the turbo.

How to decide you need to rebuild a turbo?
Boost pressure is down ( with no known leaks)
Oil in the exit air line (cross over pipe).
But most importantly when you open up the front of the turbo and feel the wheel for play. Does it have radial play or in an out play.. etc.
Worst case the wheel starts to touch the sides, and then one day your engine is eating blades and debris.

As far as needing more boost than stock, even the stock turbo can be altered to put out more boost by putting a controller on the waste gate pressure line.
You don't need a different turbo to do that. But some turbo's are better at lower end spool and have higher max rates.
Then you need to ensure all the other essentials are good first.

I"m in the US, but I just had a shop rebuild my CT26 and so far all has been well. I think it was $450US to rebuild it.

@60 Series Duey
I saw these guys when looking at upgraded 13BT turbo's.

munro racing turbochargers

They are in Brisbane and seem to work with CT26 quite a bit. Have quite a few posts on their facebook page as well about 12HT setups.
munro racing turbos facebook

View attachment 2310417

Landcruiser 4.2 Turbocharger High Flow

I didn't use them, so I can't vouch for them, but looks promising, and they are local. I would easily go take a good look here before mamba.
Thanks for the info. I will look into those guys.

Yah I'd go with getting your's rebuilt.

Now I do feel having injectors etc all tuned up is important. But if what you can do now is a turbo and nothing else, fix the turbo.

How to decide you need to rebuild a turbo?
Boost pressure is down ( with no known leaks)
Oil in the exit air line (cross over pipe).
But most importantly when you open up the front of the turbo and feel the wheel for play. Does it have radial play or in an out play.. etc.
Worst case the wheel starts to touch the sides, and then one day your engine is eating blades and debris.

As far as needing more boost than stock, even the stock turbo can be altered to put out more boost by putting a controller on the waste gate pressure line.
You don't need a different turbo to do that. But some turbo's are better at lower end spool and have higher max rates.
Then you need to ensure all the other essentials are good first.

I have seen oil dripping from the cross over pipe. Not much, but definitely drips.
Power is down as well. I havent yet opened it up to check for play.
I really want more power at the lower to mid range end. It will assist with towing the camper trailer.

Sometimes turbo's leak so much oil they cannot be switched off and have a run away.

I'd have a look inside the cross over and see how wet it is.

I'd also have a look at the intake side of the turbo. To see if it got the play. It's probably too much work to pull the exhaust to look at that side. But the intake side is best to see how it's doing.

Some people go to after market turbos for full out power. Not the low end stuff. So if you explain what you want to a turbo shop they might be able to customize for you.

Here is random link on a runaway diesel issue. diesel-engine-runaway-what-is-it-what-do-you-do-about-it

I'd say Gturbo Green wheel and be done with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom