60 Roof Questions: Replacing the entire roof... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, my name is Al and have a rust problem. Ahh, first step taken care of. :rofl:

Anyway, having recently gotten back into a 60, after a 10 year hiatus, I am yet again chasing rust. This time, it is bad, really bad. The entire rear gutter has rotted off, most of the drip rail is bubbled and the roof above the A-pillar has a 2" round hole. The whistling it makes cruising down the highway was nice, until it rained. However, I fell for this particular cruiser because it has a clean 4bt swap, legal in CA, SOA and sounds like a tractor.

So, now that I'm in the mess, I am turning to the community. Anyone here ever replaced an entire roof? I have purchased rust free chopped top, from windows up. My thought was to brace the heck out of the lower tub, leave the doors on for alignment, chop the pillars midway up, separating/discarding the crusty top, lowering on the replacement rust free roof section on and fitting/welding it into place ..... measuring about a million times and making 16 cuts. :beaver:

I am 100% committed to keeping it a hardtop.

I've searched the past threads, couldn't find an entire roof replacement, step-by-step. If you know of one, please direct me to it. If anyone here has attempted it, please provide input.

Thanks!

IMG-3471.jpg

IMG-3488.jpg

IMG-3622(1).jpg

i did, i did! i think if you search through my threads you'll find some inspiration.
I'll answer any questions you have as best i can :)

Last edited:
Hoping the community might be able to point me in the right direction. bump?
I know a guy in Los Angeles CA who had the entire roof of his 60 replaced. Old one was cut off and better one welded on. I saw it and it looked flawless. Perfect.
He's no longer an active member on this forum but if you send me a PM, I'll contact him and give him your info and maybe he'll be able to set you up with the shop that did his. I have no idea what it cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom