60% propane, 40% butane: for turbo-diesels?

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by drexx, Jun 18, 2005.

1. drexx

drexx

18Jun2005 (UTC +8)

Our LPG tanks here in the Philippines are 60% propane and 40% butane. Aside from home/restaurant cooking, it's also used here as an alternative to gasoline power. Question is: can I use it for propane injection in turbo-diesels like what is popularly done in America?

2. crushers

crushers post ho

no where close to those specs. i wouldn't recommend it but if you do,
    let me know how she goes on that fuel, jet fuel for diesels?

3. lshobie

lshobie

Media:
    Albums:
    I ran jet a-1 in my bj60 for 3 years, ran great, didnt smell as bad as diesel, and didnt notice a lack of power either.

Louis

4. crushers

crushers post ho

did you notice any increase in EGTs? increase in power? increase in fuel milage?
    after doing a quick bit of research, this is sounding interesting...
    cheers

5. lshobie

lshobie

Media:
    Albums:
    From what my fuel supplier said - the jet fuel actually burned a bit cooler than diesel, but i didnt measure the temps. I didnt notice a difference in power or mileage. It seemed the same, and made it a little nicer for the guys on the trail behind me because the exhaust wasnt as nasty. The fuel supplier thought i would have less power though

At the time I was getting the jet a1 for about 27-29 cents a litre. I bought a few hundred thousand litres a year for the airport I managed at so I used the jet a1 in the tractor and the cruiser. nice cheap fuel.

Never tried jp4 though - it has naptha in it i believe - that would be bad.

Louis

6. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

JP4 otherwise known as Jet-b. Yes it does have naptha in it. Its for cold weather. Not really sold anywhere nowadays. gone with the dodo.

Jet a-1 is a cleaner fuel than diesel. But low on the lubrication scale. Like very low. its a straw coloured fuel, very little oil in it.

When I use jet fuel I dump a bunch of diesel conditioner in it. The lube kind. I try to double the amount that low sulfer diesel requires.

I didn't really notice a rise in EGTs. or power. seemed normal.

for joe smoe to go and buy Jet Fuel in drums or what not, it cost around 1.28 a liter. On my plane we get a discount and pay 1.10 a liter, or more.

Not an option if you have to buy it. Now on the other hand I have to drain a couple liters a day to check my sumps. If it looks good I dump it in a jerry can and when I have a bit in the Cruiser it goes with some lube. :grinpimp:

Now for the 60% propane 40% butane mix. I don't see why that would not work. Any look at the btu scales of the gases? I would think butane is a little more kick. But why could you not just turn it down a bit?

The butane prolly just gives the fuel a bit of a spike.

7. lshobie

lshobie

Media:
    Albums:
    Ya, i used diesel conditioner as well. They used teh JP 4 when I was up in the Arctic back in 1989, I was in Hall beach.

Damn, that stuff is expensive now. I was selling it for 67 cents back in 1993.

Louis

8. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

Yup expensive, take into account we buying for our plane a couple hundred thou of fuel a year and a few cents a liter makes a difference.

If we were a big operator we could get a discount even larger.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.