60 "Motor does not run" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

The seller says that the motor does not run. I'm interested in talking down the price a bit for a potential project, but I want to know what could be wrong with the truck and how serious the job could be.

Thanks

Just from what I see, it had better come WAY down in price. Rust! Needs paint bad. Mismatched wheels? No front bumper? Add to that it doesn't run. And we haven't even seen the inside. It could be brought back to life, for sure. But it is a good size project (or a parts rig). JMHO.

The seller says that the motor does not run. I'm interested in talking down the price a bit for a potential project, but I want to know what could be wrong with the truck and how serious the job could be.

Thanks

aside from the obvious body and paint work it’s likely the truck needs a full mechanical rebuild. A non running engine could be a simple problem like a missing wire or broken fuel line or it might mean the engine is seized and needs a full swap. Either way $5k is too rich for my blood. Need to see what the chassis and underside looks like but $2500 is probably a more realistic starting place.

when buying something with a questionable engine, I buy as needing an engine replaced and go from there. if I get it running good for me if not your not stuck.

Be prepared to put $20k into it. Or a 1000 hrs of work

Be prepared to put $20k into it. Or a 1000 hrs of work
it's sooooo the hours that are so costly. sometimes one must ask oneself, "self, do you always have to pick the most difficult way to do things?" the answer is no, one does not.

Battling corrosion is the least fun part of working on my truck, and it easily is over half of the time spent wrenching. F rusty a$$ trucks man. ;) and this one doesn't even run, lol.

Regardless of the condition, 20k seems like a low figure to put into the addiction 😆

I agree, but I didn't want to scare the OP too much.

$20k, realistically, is a conservative figure for a truck that's got a bad motor and had been sitting a long time and is rusty. Again, it all depends on how much one is going to do themselves, and what will be farmed out.

I've easily got that into mine, and I did it 12 years ago, and I didn't even touch the body 'cuz it's a trail rig. Bought for $1500 with a blown head gasket that turned into a rebuilt engine that turned into a new H55f that turned into rebuilt diff and lockers that turned into ... the rabbit hole is deep and filled with dollars

I agree, but I didn't want to scare the OP too much.

$20k, realistically, is a conservative figure for a truck that's got a bad motor and had been sitting a long time and is rusty. Again, it all depends on how much one is going to do themselves, and what will be farmed out.

I've easily got that into mine, and I did it 12 years ago, and I didn't even touch the body 'cuz it's a trail rig. Bought for $1500 with a blown head gasket that turned into a rebuilt engine that turned into a new H55f that turned into rebuilt diff and lockers that turned into ... the rabbit hole is deep and filled with dollars
It’s a gold mine in reverse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom