60 has a little slop in the steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I drive around now I have a little looseness in the steering wheel..I can feel some slack I guess is the best way to describe it..the rig did not have a functional ps pump when I bought it and I have since replaced it and it drives mucho better but there still is some slack or slop. Nothing is leaking or groaning...the guy before me drove it several years without ps would this have hurt it very much or is this the way these things are..

I would verify that all of the steering components beyond the steering gear are not loose, and then, look at the gear....

Good luck!

-Steve

I've been dealing with the same problem on my '82 and '78. What have You checked out so far. I've herd that larger tires over the miles will wear on the wheel bearings which causes free play at the wheel/tires- "most aparent when driving in a straight line". New wheel bearings are next on my list. Cheeper than a steering box which is next on my list if bearing dont fix the problem$#$!!. How much play do you have ? Is your Rig changing lanes? Cheers, O.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom