60 Guy with a Value ? For the Experts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I've been in a 60 of some fashion for the past 10 years or so, lately I've been craving an 80 series for light off road and adverse weather duty for the wife. I've come across a 97 Sage Collector's Edition with low miles (under 125K), very clean interior, nice paint, a few very minor dents, and lockers. The vehicle is in the Denver metro area and I have to act fast, party is asking around high book and I think it can be had for under $9K. Vehicle is unmodified but I know little else of its history, where would you guys/gals ballpark its value?

Thanks,

Brad

for that type of mileage with lockers, I think you're in the ballpark. Others may disagree with me, that this is awfully high. I've paid that or more for mine with similar mileage, with and without lockers and was fine with it. It's all about your comfort level with the dollar amount going out the door. $9k is $9k, right?

As you're already sold on the Land Cruiser as a vehicle, I'm sure the required PM/baseline project won't scare you and we have such excellent resources for maintenance and reconditioning here in Colorado that it's hard to go wrong if you're committed to restoration of those things that don't work/need attention. A very clean interior is definitely worth some extra dollars, from my perspective.

Bottom line that keeps coming up with "have to make a decision soon" purchases on this forum is - are you ready to pull the trigger? Do you think the opportunity is right? You know the answers to those questions already...

All the best with your decision!

I think that price is OK to a bit high if you have some PM history that makes sense and you really like it. Under 125K miles is nice, but some PM history is important. HG done? Everything work? Beware that PM can really add up. It does not sound like it has lockers. Just remember that another one will come along if you feel too rushed.

Also, did they ever sell a Sage Collectors Edition? I thought the Sage color was only available in the 40th Aniv. Edition.

Last edited:
I'm not totally up on the proper terminology for specific 80 series trim packages, it is a 40th Anniversary edition. I know it has lockers as I have sat in the vehicle and rotated the switch,..... whether they work correctly could be another story. The vehicle is clean and appears to have been well cared for based on an admittedly cursory inspection. The Cruiser was a trade-in at a local car lot and will be sent to the auction in a couple of days. I'm beginning to conclude this is marginal, but not a "once in a blue moon deal" at ~9K. I greatly appreciate the responses thus far, please keep the opinions coming. Thanks again.

It's only getting harder to fine low milage 80 series trucks. 125K is low milage. If it smells good, drives good, and the wife likes it (esp if the wife likes it) then buy it. One more thing...buy it if and only if the wife likes it. If she likes it, it's worth the money, if she doesn't like it, you are screwed no matter what you pay for it.

With lockers that price looks pretty good. Go for a drive, find a gravel or dirt lot, hit low range and try out the lockers (read the FAQ herein).

I agree with lovetoski, your wife needs to like it. If you both like it and the maintenance seems OK, then go for it.

Of all that I've seen advertised- low miles is when they really start asking big money. Be curious to know the percentage of them still around with this few miles. Bet it's single digits.
That's probably around half the miles a majority of them have now.

I'm not totally up on the proper terminology for specific 80 series trim packages, it is a 40th Anniversary edition. I know it has lockers as I have sat in the vehicle and rotated the switch,..... whether they work correctly could be another story. The vehicle is clean and appears to have been well cared for based on an admittedly cursory inspection. The Cruiser was a trade-in at a local car lot and will be sent to the auction in a couple of days. I'm beginning to conclude this is marginal, but not a "once in a blue moon deal" at ~9K. I greatly appreciate the responses thus far, please keep the opinions coming. Thanks again.
If they are going to send it to the car auction soon, then offer them a little more than they can expect there. John

Check the main items like front axle, head gasket, etc and if they look good that price isn't unreasonable for Colorado. I paid 7500 fom mine with 170k and needing lots of maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom