60 Front Door Weatherstrip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

John Staton

SILVER Star
Threads
I took the 60 camping last weekend about 2 hours from home. On the freeway I can hear a lot of road noise/ wind noise from my door. I am going to start by replacing my weatherstrip. I see the OEM is still available, but I can get aftermarket for 2 doors for the price of OEM. Who has used aftermarket weatherstrip and can comment.

City Racer- both sides for $80. Looks like a nice options and looks just like OEM

Cruiser Corp- About the same price.

OEM- $95 for one door. Really just an issue on the driver door and dont mind going OEM if the aftermarket options are no good.

FJ60Tint.JPG

I coupled those seals from City Racer with these from Trail-Tailor. Together they took up all the air gap in my driver side door. I don’t get any whistling.

I coupled those seals from City Racer with these from Trail-Tailor. Together they took up all the air gap in my driver side door. I don’t get any whistling.

Thanks....just to get all links in here I will include the Wagongear link I looked at for this product. I was thinking I would start with the weatherstrip and then add this if necessary. Good to know there are a couple sources on this. From what I have read they added this seal for the 62 but it was not an option on the 60. The Trail Tailor look very similar to the Wagongear, but would run $15 more for the front 2 doors.

Weatherstrip plus the additional door seal with bulb for the win. Big improvement for road noise and certain water leaks.

20190330_153433.jpg

I used the '89 FJ62 donor vehicle's weatherstrip on my '86 FJ60, definite improvement over my '84 FJ60.

So several of these options use a weather seal and an extra seal correct?

Are you glueing the seals on?

I ordered the aftermarket door weatherstrip from City Racer along with the additional seal that Wagoneer offers. Will report back on how they work. I have also noticed a small leak when it rains hard and I think this will fix that as well. I have thought about seals around the windows and this may be where I am hearing some leaks.....will check to see what kind of difference this makes before I tackle anything around the glass.

I have needed to take apart my doors and clean and lube window tracks and address something loose in my passenger side door for sometime. I also need to adjust the door handle on my drivers side door as well as install new speakers that I bought some time back. I want to do some more research before I open them up as I want to make sure I order the correct parts. The most confusing thing is around the door edge as I dont want to lose my chrome and I think they only sell seals that are non chrome and you have to do something different if you want to keep the chrome. Anyway, I think there are some threads on that I need to review first.

An option that worked well for me

I ordered the aftermarket door weatherstrip from City Racer along with the additional seal that Wagoneer offers. Will report back on how they work. I have also noticed a small leak when it rains hard and I think this will fix that as well. I have thought about seals around the windows and this may be where I am hearing some leaks.....will check to see what kind of difference this makes before I tackle anything around the glass.

I have needed to take apart my doors and clean and lube window tracks and address something loose in my passenger side door for sometime. I also need to adjust the door handle on my drivers side door as well as install new speakers that I bought some time back. I want to do some more research before I open them up as I want to make sure I order the correct parts. The most confusing thing is around the door edge as I dont want to lose my chrome and I think they only sell seals that are non chrome and you have to do something different if you want to keep the chrome. Anyway, I think there are some threads on that I need to review first.

Do you mean the belt-line chrome trim that attaches to the window weatherstrip? This is what I ordered some time ago, including the metal clips to replace those strips. They will re-attach to the chrome trip and the metal clips are the correct ones for the job.

$ 2.41​
CLIP
6823090A011
$ 19.79​
WEATHERSTRIP, REAR DOOR GLASS, OUTER
6818090A011
$ 19.79​
6821090A021
$ 29.10​
WEATHERSTRIP, FRONT DOOR GLASS, OUTER
6816090A021
$ 29.10​

Do you mean the belt-line chrome trim that attaches to the window weatherstrip? This is what I ordered some time ago, including the metal clips to replace those strips. They will re-attach to the chrome trip and the metal clips are the correct ones for the job.

$ 2.41​
CLIP
6823090A011
$ 19.79​
6818090A011
$ 19.79​
6821090A021
$ 29.10​
6816090A021
$ 29.10​

THANKS....yeah, this is what I am trying to understand. If I do a door refresh I want to replace what needs to be replaced while I am in there. Plan is to do the two front doors. Sounds like you have done it. Without taking the door apart I cant see what all I need. It appears there are innerstrips and outstrips on the horizontal part and this would be the weatherstrip for just the outer horizontal part that mates to the chrome strip? Is there a seperate part number for the inner? .......and what about what goes around the channel? Looking for a comprehensive list to order before I crack her open. I have new clips to attach the panel when I am done.

The window track seals fixed a ton of wind noise for me.

Where did you order those? and do the old ones just snap out and snap in the new ones?

Ok, so got my new weatherstrip installed and still had wind noise. A few days later I got the new welt strip with the bulb attached from Wagoneer and this did the trick. I went ahead and ordered this for my two back doors and not even replace the original weatherstrip. Should of started with this on the fronts. Gives you a great seal and you can understand why the 62 went to this system. I was hesitant when I realized that I was pulling off brown welt to put on black. I thought they were sending me the bulb to adhere to my OEM welt. After I got it installed I think it looks totally stock and it is actually so close to other black wetherstrip like around the front glass that you dont notice at all. Just a note for any purist.
FJ60welt.JPG

fj60welt2.JPG

No glue required
No glue required....you simply take off the welt that is running along the edge of the door frame and replace it with welt that has the bulb already attached to it. When you shut your door now you will see that seal along the edge of the door instead of that space. Same as any modern car and I am told the 62 went to this same set up. Sealed the noise out nicely. The WagonGear sight says that you could have problems closing your doors and worst case, may have to make some door adjustments. I found that I have to shut mine more solid to get it to close tight, but not a problem. They should settle down too over time anyway.

No glue required....you simply take off the welt that is running along the edge of the door frame and replace it with welt that has the bulb already attached to it. When you shut your door now you will see that seal along the edge of the door instead of that space. Same as any modern car and I am told the 62 went to this same set up. Sealed the noise out nicely. The WagonGear sight says that you could have problems closing your doors and worst case, may have to make some door adjustments. I found that I have to shut mine more solid to get it to close tight, but not a problem. They should settle down too over time anyway.
I'm pretty sure the FJ62s only had that bulb on the front doors, that's the way my '89 was. BTW, the FJ62 was my donor vehicle so the better seals are now on my '86 FJ60.

I've been working to improve the wind/road noise coming through my driver side door as well on my FJ62. Replaced the weatherstripping, window run channel, and felt strip. That helped some but still getting very distinct noise through there.

Want to try the door seals -- if it ever had that rubber bulb, it's long gone. Wagon Gear and Trail Tailor are both sold out.

Anyone found any other sources for these replacement door seals? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom