60 doors on 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes door shells are the same 60 to 62 series

That's good to know if ever I need a door.

I put a 62 door on my 60 a few years back. There was one issue only, the manual regulator that is held in place with 4 bolts on the 60, only allows for a 3 bolt install on the 62 door. The inner structure is massaged differently, albeit, it still works. I am not sure how that works in reverse, meaning 60 door on a 62. I guess you will find out soon.

I put a 62 door on my 60 a few years back. There was one issue only, the manual regulator that is held in place with 4 bolts on the 60, only allows for a 3 bolt install on the 62 door. The inner structure is massaged differently, albeit, it still works. I am not sure how that works in reverse, meaning 60 door on a 62. I guess you will find out soon.
The FJ62 power window regulators bolt right up to the FJ60 inner door shell. For those upgrading an FJ60 up to FJ62 power windows, you'll have to cut a new hole into each of the FJ60 rear doors to accept the wiring harness.

Power-Window-Upgrade-16.jpg

This was not my experience. Possibly there are different variations of 62 doors between the years. Toyota OEM and aftermarket 60 regulators bolted up in my 62 doors. I have 62 passenger doors and 60 drivers side doors. ...Toyota OEM regulators are far superior to aftermarket and in the long run worth the added expense.

Also power lock actuators from the 62 doors will bolt into the 60 doors (at least on my 87) . In other words the 60 doors had welded nuts on the doors to accept the machine screws for the lock actuator. The 62 door lock mechanisms also fit the 60 door and are necessary for the power lock option (because the have a piece of built in linkage to accommodate the linkage coming from the actuator) along with a short piece of linkage between the two. One other note ...the 60 rear hatch does not have nuts to accept the rear hatch lock actuator and the lock mechanism will not accept the linkage, or turn/rotate like a 62 rear hatch lock.

I found the above mentioned problem of a lack of hole for wiring to be true. But this only matters for the rear doors as the front have holes already for the speaker wires.

One other note ...the 60 rear hatch does not have nuts to accept the rear hatch lock actuator and the lock mechanism will not accept the linkage, or turn/rotate like a 62 rear hatch lock.
For my '86 FJ60 build I swapped in the rear hatch from my '89 FJ62 donor vehicle. I had to repaint the hatch, but I figured it was easier than having to fabricate and install sheet metal to mount the rear hatch lock/actuator.

Sounds like there are some variations, though probably manageable. Since my 62 never had power windows or locks, I'm assuming I will have better luck scouting out some 60 doors but I'll post up on any differences I find along the way.

FJ62 front doors also have a hole for the power mirror wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom