60 axles into a 70 series ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys! I'm working on a 1989 BJ70 which it came with drums all around and a h55f. I have access to a complete axle assemblies front and back that came from a 1989 fj62 with the h42 transmission. Would this be a possible "easy" swap were I don't have to cut and weld and what not. I can't find any info on this. I guest this is no a common swap.Is the gearing compatible enough were I wouldnt get any drive ability problems down the road. I would like to do this just for the safety factor of having disk Brakes at front. Is it wort it? Hopefully someone with good knowledge will shime in. I just want to be sure before I start taking things apart. Thank you for all the help.:wrench:

no, the 60 series axles are wider and have different spring spacing.

What you can do is take the disks and hubs off the 62 axles and put them on your 70's axles. It's a very easy conversion.

^^^requires outboarding the hangers. That means cutting off the spring hangers front and rear, and weldings outriggers to your frame and then welding the hangers to the bottoms of the outrigger...make sense? It could be done, and will add about 1 1/2" of track to your rig, but won't be bolt on.

Just swapping the hubs and discs from the front onto the front 70 axle would be bolt on and is prolly your best bet. don't forget to remove the residual pressure valve from the front brake circuit...

Awesome responses! I'm going into unknown territory here!. Before I do anything Im going to take measurements of everything since I have both trucks. If I swap the hubs and disk I assume i would have to replace the booster and master as well!.

^^^requires outboarding the hangers. That means cutting off the spring hangers front and rear, and weldings outriggers to your frame and then welding the hangers to the bottoms of the outrigger...make sense? It could be done, and will add about 1 1/2" of track to your rig, but won't be bolt on.

Just swapping the hubs and discs from the front onto the front 70 axle would be bolt on and is prolly your best bet. don't forget to remove the residual pressure valve from the front brake circuit...
What's this residual pressure valve looks like? TIA.

shouldn't have to replace the booster, and as long as you remove the residual pressure valve from the FRONT BRAKE CIRCUIT AT THE MC brake line port...you should ba able to keep your master as well.

Thank you for the heads up on the residual pressure valve! I think I'm just going to replace the hub and disks. Keep it simple. Another question would be, should add a proportional valve for the rear drums? And lastly anybody recommends a good rebuild kit for the front hubs while I'm there! Thank you again for all your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom