60/62 radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.longestroad.com
Is there a difference in the radiators in the 60 and 62? I have an 87 HJ60 w/AC and am looking to swap in something a little fresher. I assume that these are all interchangable. The 62 radiator probably has some kind of accomidation for a trans cooler. Just a guess. Thanks for input.

Most places sell the FJ62 rad for the '60s and the '62. The trans cooler in the bottom just goes unused in the '60s.

Mark...

you could make it a ps cooler....

u know if you were bored...

Hope you know a good (cheap) Radiator shop

Take a look at both.................everything is in the wrong side Hj60s the inlet and outlet are on the Rt side....Fjs are on the Lt side....I did what you are looking to do......get some idea from the shop about cost before doing this job....you can get new out of OZ for around $300.00

There are others that can probably answer this better than I but I just sent my 62 radiator down to Ron Davis Radiators to have them make me an aluminum stock replacement. They already make stock 60 replacements with and without a tranny cooler but we weren't sure if the 60 would work so we sent my rad to them to make sure. They said that they were close but some minor differences (beyond just the 62 having a tranny cooler).

Take a look at both.................everything is in the wrong side Hj60s the inlet and outlet are on the Rt side....Fjs are on the Lt side....I did what you are looking to do......get some idea from the shop about cost before doing this job....you can get new out of OZ for around $300.00

I better have a look... I thought this was a direct swap, but now that you mention it.....

Hopefully the JB weld on the seam crack will hold pressure for a couple of more months.

There are others that can probably answer this better than I but I just sent my 62 radiator down to Ron Davis Radiators to have them make me an aluminum stock replacement. They already make stock 60 replacements with and without a tranny cooler but we weren't sure if the 60 would work so we sent my rad to them to make sure. They said that they were close but some minor differences (beyond just the 62 having a tranny cooler).

Got an pictures of the new radiator?

Got an pictures of the new radiator?

Not yet, I think it's due to be done end of next week or the following week. It's going straight to Over the Hill 4x4 though as part of my 2FE engine build (which should also be back from the machinist end of next week). I'll see if I can get them to snap some pics before it goes in.

Both of my FJ 60's has the pressure return pipe going all the way to the right hand side of the vehicle under the radiator and then back to the left side and up to the pump. I don't it would be too hard to use a 62 radiator and splice in the steel pipe at the U turn and plumb it in.

What's the word?

The word is that, Ron Davis makes the radiators for Man-A-Fre and I have had good luck with them. They said they will make an HJ style one, with both pipes on the passenger side (right). The FJ rad cannot be used in the HJ as mine would have a clearance issue with the AC compressor. I pulled the radiator a couple of days ago and tried to weld the seam myself, which did not go well. I am going to take it to a radiator repair shop and get an estimate. The custom radiator would run in the $700-800 range, which is too much for me. I think a recore and flush will do the trick. I will also replace the cap and fan clutch at the same time, as well as a water pump weephole inspection to protect my new investment.

The word is that, Ron Davis makes the radiators for Man-A-Fre and I have had good luck with them. They said they will make an HJ style one, with both pipes on the passenger side (right).

What are they talking $$$$$ wize?? Just incase....

You'd probably want to add a few $$$ to your imagination. MAF (BAD) sells a stock replacement for around $350, but I wouldnt order from them again. Shamefull.

What are they talking $$$$$ wize?? Just incase....

My Ron Davis custom for my '62 was $625. Unfortunately even though I sent them my old radiator so that they could duplidate it exactly the two top mounting holes ended up slightly off so the stock rubber bolt grommets don't fit. They would have fixed it but as far as we can see the design doesn't work (the radiator would need to be narrower by a row to make the holes line up). I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. Likely I'll just live with it because I needed the truck up and running about a month ago. At any rate it's mounted solid and isolated with rubber, just not quite a stock fit. However for $625 and giving them my old rad to copy I expect better...

For $625 it'd better be a PERFECT fit with gratuities for giving them a chance to use your radiator as a template since they'd be making the $$$ off of your system.
Sounds like you got raped mate.:mad:
Sounds like they're in business with MAF.

For $625 it'd better be a PERFECT fit with gratuities for giving them a chance to use your radiator as a template since they'd be making the $$$ off of your system.
Sounds like you got raped mate.:mad:
Sounds like they're in business with MAF.

They offered to fix it of course but I don't think that they'll get it right with me sending my original radiator back. Which means at least another month of downtime since I'd have no radiator. And since they didn't get it right when they had the radiator the first time I figured I'd cut my losses. Sometimes that's how it goes :frown:

They offered to fix it of course but I don't think that they'll get it right with me sending my original radiator back. Which means at least another month of downtime since I'd have no radiator. And since they didn't get it right when they had the radiator the first time I figured I'd cut my losses. Sometimes that's how it goes :frown:

Yeah, I hear you there! I'd still demand they refund you half the cost. You know materials were less than $200.

I think that is pretty standard pricing for a custom aluminium radiator. When I had one made for my Roadrunner, it was about the same. Still, I cannot afford and with the stock diesel motor, I don't think I need an aluminium. Now with the V-8 swap on my FJ I used the Ron D. alumium that they made for MAF. Once I had a good fan, it has performed flawlessly. You might want to ground your new alumimium radiator, it will last a lot longer(strange, I know).

I think that is pretty standard pricing for a custom aluminium radiator. When I had one made for my Roadrunner, it was about the same. Still, I cannot afford and with the stock diesel motor, I don't think I need an aluminium. Now with the V-8 swap on my FJ I used the Ron D. alumium that they made for MAF. Once I had a good fan, it has performed flawlessly. You might want to ground your new alumimium radiator, it will last a lot longer(strange, I know).

It would suck to have one of these disintegrate. Hope you didn't experience that. James at Over the Hill said he grounded it and that they ground all the aluminum radiators they use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom