60 / 61 / 62 Series Lock & Key Repair Re-Key & Re-Coding ALL things LOCK SMITH Technical Shop Resource (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cylinders.jpg

My passenger side lock on my 83’60 won’t unlock with the key. Is it possible to have it redone to match the rest of the locks? If so what is needed? I don’t have the key code as the keys I have are not original.

Last edited:
My passenger side lock on my 83’60 won’t unlock with the key. Is it possible to have it redone to match the rest of the locks? If so what is needed? I don’t have the key code as the keys I have are not original.

send me a good working lock like the fuel door and a working key too your best key

i will do my magic and re-key a new oem front door lock for your and mail all back to you in good working order

REAR HATCH FJ62 TECH Resource ............

Cylinder 01 - Hatch Hole.jpg
Cylinder 02 - Inside Hatch 01.jpg
Cylinder 03 - Inside Hatch 02.jpg
Cylinder 04 - Hatch Cylinder.jpg

Oh boy.. wish I checked here awhile ago. My ‘90 FJ62 got messed up when some punks tried to steal it a year ago. Pried off the drivers door lock and messed up the steering column. I managed to fix the column partially and put in a new OEM ignition cylinder. Small miracle.. the new ignition key seems to match and open all my other doors also. Finally decided to try and fix the drivers door lock. Asked a few local locksmiths, and they don’t do these “old Toyotas” and sounds like automotive locksmiths are all going keyless now. So, I tried to DIY it with a donor lock someone sent me. Amazingly, 2 of the 4 wafers worked in different locations. Another wafer mostly fit and just needed a small amount of grinding. And 1 wafer needed to be ground down a bit more. But it works. Problem is that the bezel is seriously messed up now. Broke 2 jewelers screwdrivers and a fingernail prying that sucker off. The dented bezel sort of "snaps" back on, but still feels loose, so I fixed it in place with a thin bead of JB Weld on edges. Door hole is still jacked up also. Looks terrible.. But at least I have a working door lock now.

I plan on doing this better when I can try to fix the door metal.
@ToyotaMatt .. If I mailed you a working key, would you be able to key a new driver's door lock cylinder the right way? I can try to find another donor drivers door lock cylinder, Also, if I could get one, or a few, of those nice vintage black keys, that'd be awesome. I'll PM you.
Thank you!

B5933176-DB6C-43B7-A315-CEF7D030B924.jpeg

6F34D031-C895-47D5-BF5D-4D2702618AED.jpeg

0CECC7E8-501D-4038-8903-0E2D3FBABFB7.jpeg

D99988C8-190C-44ED-8744-DD92D2A0EA56.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh boy.. wish I checked here awhile ago. My ‘90 FJ62 got messed up when some punks tried to steal it a year ago. Pried off the drivers door lock and messed up the steering column. I managed to fix the column partially and put in a new OEM ignition cylinder. Small miracle.. the new ignition key seems to match and open all my other doors also. Finally decided to try and fix the drivers door lock. Asked a few local locksmiths, and they don’t do these “old Toyotas” and sounds like automotive locksmiths are all going keyless now. So, I tried to DIY it with a donor lock someone sent me. Amazingly, 2 of the 4 wafers worked in different locations. Another wafer mostly fit and just needed a small amount of grinding. And 1 wafer needed to be ground down a bit more. But it works. Problem is that the bezel is seriously messed up now. Broke 2 jewelers screwdrivers and a fingernail prying that sucker off. The dented bezel sort of "snaps" back on, but still feels loose, so I fixed it in place with a thin bead of JB Weld on edges. Door hole is still jacked up also. Looks terrible.. But at least I have a working door lock now.

I plan on doing this better when I can try to fix the door metal.
@ToyotaMatt .. If I mailed you a working key, would you be able to key a new driver's door lock cylinder the right way? I can try to find another donor drivers door lock cylinder, Also, if I could get one, or a few, of those nice vintage black keys, that'd be awesome. I'll PM you.
Thank you!

View attachment 2596224

View attachment 2596225

View attachment 2596226

View attachment 2596227

hi '

wow ..........

that's pretty far out... 🤔

i DO stock Both the driver door Lock cylinder and a NOS Ignition Lock too

Below are LINKS for both

I also can RE-KEY Both LOCKS to your factory key code as well i need that

text type in the NOTES online store purchase check out and PM me too please

NOW KEY choices / styles ..........

I am SOLD OUT the BLACK VINTAGE TOPS NOS .fyi

Just wanted to say Many Thanks to Matt for the excellent key job--quick, accurate, works 100%, all done from the key code Matt helped me find..!

My truck came with only one key, don't know how the PO got it to work in the ignition.. Attached a picture of Matt's key vs. the old incorrect key. Matt's key is the black-topped one.

Old vs New (ToyotaMatt) Key.jpg

@Mace

New TECH Video ..........Ignition .

New TECH Video ..........Ignition .

@ToyotaMatt

Kind of cool to see a video of your very own ignition lock being coded. As Matt said in the video, we were having a hard time deciphering the code. He had me pull the cylinders to mail to him so he could figure it out, which, of course, he did.

What he didn't tell you is the extra work that he did on my lock cylinders without any additional charge. They were pretty dirty/gummed up and the spring on each of them was broken. They worked but not very smoothly. He cleaned them, put new springs on them.

I got these in the mail yesterday and installed the cylinder locks. Super smooth, easy to operate--I can now unlock AND lock my doors with the key--before I could just unlock.

Ignition cylinder gets swapped tonight.

Thanks Matt--as always, great job. Thank you.

I will be Posting a Major News update here later today ,
and
short tech video too

HOUSTON MORE Teq Has Landed

mega_watermark_53379697 - Copy - Copy.jpg

at the Skunk Work Lab ,

this WILL forever shape and Define the future

of

ALL FJ60 and FJ62 Locks and Keys
for ALL MuD Members

stay tuned .............

Last edited:
FOR NOW
some Easter EGGS cryptic skunk works

" Leaked Type "

shots .........

:cool: 🦄
💫

and some Easter eggs per-release soundtrack of upcoming
IN-DEPTH tech Video

stand by for a METEOR SHOWER of Teq landing to a Trail or Overland route near you later this evening

more to come

thanks

mega_watermark_53379697 - Copy - Copy111.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone know of or has a FJ62 / HJ60 / HJ61 Rear push button power actuated lock cylinder available please let me know

i am going to do what it takes to have it reproduced same in kind .........

69057-90A11

the plastic tab gonna be metal this rodeo for sure .............

16221916309281 - Copy.png

16221992009071.png

570379F9-A124-4DC9-9B81-E4EF650BC8D1.jpeg

57A037E0-16B5-4F9A-9CBA-EEC0CABF4CF0.jpeg

570379F9-A124-4DC9-9B81-E4EF650BC8D1.jpeg

All,

Just wanted to drop and note and sing the praises of Matt's key and lockset work. I took the opportunity to order a whole set for my rig, and Matt was very patient with me on the phone walking me through the process. Everything arrived packaged very well and works flawlessly. I only had one key for my rig, and the locks were getting "sticky", it was only a matter of time until I broke the key in one of the locks and would have been up a creek. Now I have a full matching set that are as smooth as butter with extra keys. I appreciate the services Matt offers to keep our rigs running down the road.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom