#6 White to brown bodywork and paint (Tatonka) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
The project:
1. Disassemble vehicle, remove doors, tailgate and hatch.
2. Strip entire vehicle to bare metal, including jambs.
3. Replace hatch and tailgate.
4. Remove seam sealer in roof gutters, and windshield area, repair all rust.
5. New lower door skin replacement panels, Sand blast remaining rust, new seam sealer.
6. New quarter panels, remove the previously replaced panels and any rusted sections of inner fenders.
7. Install sound dampening/insulation in doors, and floor.
8. Paint jambs and install doors, hatch and tailgate.
9. Exterior paint, B/C or single stage, wet sand, and polish.
10. Install new sliders, and bumpers.

Original paint was Brown, and we will be restoring this one back to is original, glorious color.

IMG_2279.JPG

I just realized right now she's 3 different colors. Rootbeer, white & silver. maybe we should rename this one "Tricolor". Reminds me of those tricolor hunting dog breeds like a Brittany Spaniel

I just realized right now she's 3 different colors. Rootbeer, white & silver. maybe we should rename this one "Tricolor". Reminds me of those tricolor hunting dog breeds like a Brittany Spaniel
No no, "Tatonka" is way too cool.

Lower door skins were cut out and the quarter sections too. The lower doors are rusty, and I may have to rebuild a few areas. We will sand blast rusty areas and build panels tomorrow. Lots happening with 2 vehicles right now, but juggling tasks back and forth is working out perfectly.

IMG_2339.JPG

I love how you can just leave raw steel in AZ exposed to the "elements" and.....nothing, absolutely nothing.....just stays shiny.

I love how you can just leave raw steel in AZ exposed to the "elements" and.....nothing, absolutely nothing.....just stays shiny.
I still sand the entire vehicle with 120 before I spray epoxy primer. I had one under a swamp cooler all summer and there was no orange haze at all. I still treated it as if it were rusty by sanding it though. But yes... we are spoiled in AZ!

Sandblasted all the jambs and rusty areas after the old metal was cut out. Removed some poorly installed quarter panels that were glued to the inner fenders with layers of metal shims.

IMG_2379.JPG
IMG_2382.JPG
IMG_2383.JPG
IMG_2384.JPG

Have you tackled roof rust yet on any FJ60 projects?
A little, gutters, and some holes along the edge. I have a clean donor roof that should arrive soon, for when I need one. Otherwise, I will just make new pieces if I need to patch one.

Doors are done, all 4 lower skin panels are installed and body work is complete. Epoxy primer and high build primer is on and ready to block sand.

IMG_2436.JPG

The previous hack-job on these rear quarters has required me to make new pieces, and it's not easy. So, I figured that making a template would be smart, and make a batch of these things. I will dial these in, then create a DXF file with engraved/etched lines where my body lines are to be rolled, then have a sheet of these laser cut and engraved. It will be nice to have the panels ready for the bead roller in the future, and not be fumbling around with markers, templates and my plasma cutter. I am pretty close now.

IMG_2502.JPG
63544865051__88153516-83D4-4EE3-97B8-A30D72726C4C.JPG
63545327301__59799B27-59FB-4B2D-B051-91D053E67863.JPG
63545923733__D65F6C9A-2397-49A7-8D31-F6867E5B11DB.JPG

Not aligned perfectly in this pic, just clamped on, but it fits near perfect. I will probably make a couple more until I am happy with the quality, then use it. These are fine though actually. I am so excited to get my new motorized bead roller, english wheel, planishing hammer, 4' brake, and some other stuff. I will be able to roll these much easier and smoother.

63545377841__9DE83A0D-B120-40F4-9B80-3DF916B8FC08.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom