6 speed vs 8 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have experience with both 6-speed and 8-speed transmissions?
I found a pretty good deal on 2013, and it's 13k cheaper than a 2016 with similar miles. I leaning towards 2013 because, with the savings, I can buy more things like suspension, bumpers etc

I only own the 2013 and very happy with it.
I do expect better mileage with the 8 speed. Maybe other can chime in on that.

If budget is driving your decision then definitely save your tokens and get the 2013.

I only own the 2013 and very happy with it.
I do expect better mileage with the 8 speed. Maybe other can chime in on that.

It’s actually worse.

PWtWScR.jpg

It’s actually worse.

PWtWScR.jpg
Not for the model years being considered.

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser Wagon 4WDX
2016 Toyota Land Cruiser Wagon 4WD
Personalize
gasBlue.png

2013_Toyota_Land_Cruiser.jpg
gasBlue.png

2016_Toyota_Land_Cruiser.jpg
Add a Vehicle
5.7 L, 8 cyl, Automatic (S6)5.7 L, 8 cyl, Automatic (S8)
MSRP: $78,555MSRP: $83,825
EPA Fuel EconomyRegular GasolineRegular Gasoline
Combined MPG:15MPG
City MPG:13Highway MPG:18
combined
city/highway
cityhighway
Combined MPG:15MPG
City MPG:13Highway MPG:18
combined
city/highway
cityhighway
6.7 gal/100mi6.7 gal/100mi
EPA range: 369 miles

369 miles
Total Range
EPA range: 369 miles

369 miles
Total Range
Unofficial MPG Estimates from Vehicle Owners

Learn more about "My MPG"
Disclaimer
User MPG estimates are not yet available for this vehicleAverage based on 1 vehicle
15.0 MPG
View Individual Estimates
You save or spend*
Note: The average 2023 vehicle
gets 28 MPG
You SPEND
$8,000
more in fuel costs over 5 years
compared to the
average new vehicle
You SPEND
$8,000
more in fuel costs over 5 years
compared to the
average new vehicle
Annual Fuel Cost*$3,400$3,400
Cost to Drive 25 Miles$5.65$5.65
Cost to Fill the Tank$83$83
Tank Size24.6 gallons24.6 gallons
*Based on 45% highway, 55% city driving, 15,000 annual miles and current fuel prices. Personalize.
MSRP and tank size data provided by Edmunds.com, Inc.
Range on a tank and refueling costs assume 100% of fuel in tank will be used before refueling.

Hmm that's definitely food for though
For someone buying a used land cruiser for 35-50k vs a brand new one for 100k+
Even with better fuel mileage on the new one. The cost doesn't offset fuel savings along with higher maintenance cost because of the new platform and possible hybrid system that may need a new battery.

I put ~120k miles on an '09 (6 speed) and now have a '16 (8-speed).

Purely talking transmissions, I absolutely preferred the 6-speed over the 8-speed.

Assuming it came down to a 2013 vs 2016 with similar miles, history, maintenance and cleanliness, I'd do the 2013 and use the savings for mods, assuming you plan to do some.

I haven't driven an 8-speed, but would really be interested in towing with one. Not that the 6speed doesn't do well, it does great.

I haven't driven an 8-speed, but would really be interested in towing with one. Not that the 6speed doesn't do well, it does great.
I've towed with my 8 speed about 1500 miles at this point. Most trailers not over 3000.

Much like the 10 speed in my F150 what I like about the 8 speed is that it has a really low first gear. Someone did data on here and the math supported a 8 speed vs 6 speed....the 8 speed is like having 4.88's in the 6 speed in 1st gear for taking off with heavier tires / towing, and then having a much higher gear ratio in 7/8th gear, obviously due to less spread between the shifts. Find the data, don't take my word for it, it wasn't exactly 4.88.

What I didn't like about the F150 was the gear skip (1 to 3, 3 to 5, etc), the garbage quality transmission that had trouble at 28k miles and was well reported to have cheap clutches, especially in higher gears, and the engine autostop. The LC does not have autostop, doesn't skip gears, and is built like a Land Cruiser.

For that, it towed well, but not as good as my 10 speed 3.5L ecoboost. Got about the same fuel economy as the Ecoboost.

I am always disappointed in people who lie about numbers to justify the purchase they made, who cares, people want the data. So here's my data.

City driving on BFG K02 (285/65/r18 - 33's) = 12.4 avg. Highway about 17.5. I drive fairly mild, no aggressive passing, only maybe a few over the speed limit.

I don't think the 8 speed is better for MPG, but I do think it's got a much lower 1st gear.

Lastly, for offroading, because of that low first, I can manually select 1st and 1 pedal drive it even on a downgrade while offroading, comparing this to my 5 speed 4runner it's a massive difference, and feels more like my friends 5.38's in low range. I have to sometimes give it the skinny pedal in 1st gear going down a hill in 4LO cause it almost stops moving.

Edit = MPG, not towing. I think the MPG isn't really better in the 8 speed.

Last edited:

I’ve towed with both, I just towed roughly 4500lbs (SXS l, gear and double-axle 18’ trailer) with my 8-speed yesterday on a four hour 250 mile one-way trip to deer camp. Speeds vary between 60-75 mph along this route with a 2000ft climb in elevation over the last 1.5 hours. Once beyond the first few hours of flatland I took it out of Drive and limited the transmission to 6th gear with ECT Power on.

With that weight locally on coastal flatland and in Drive I typically see between 11-12 mpg but once I started to climb I slowed it down to 65-68 mph max and limited the tranny to the first six gears and I averaged a pathetic 8.7 mpg. I could have slowed down to 60 mph and probably improved those numbers by 1-2 mpg but I would have been flat out run over on I-10.

While the fuel economy when towing in varying elevations is down right pathetic, I have to say that the Cruiser never felt taxed or like it was working hard or at the top of its power range, it had plenty of power and the temps never increased. I’ve never seen single digits in this thing under any conditions in the two years I’ve owned it and that was mildly depressing, but I don’t use it in this capacity often nor do I plan to more than a few times a year so I can deal with it if necessary.

The few positive take aways that I had, 1) The ride quality and comfort while towing in the 200 trumps doing the same in my HD diesel trucks, 2) Having the RedArc Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller is money and it kept the load under control in a way that I almost didn’t even realize it was there at times, 3) Never once did the Adaptive Cruise Control kick out when climbing or under hard braking at speed like I’ve experienced in the Gladiator.

Even with a load only half of what the vehicle is rated for, the truck had enough squat for the need of airbags and that’s something I’ll have to consider moving forward after seeing how the lift and OME coils handle it. Lastly, should I find myself towing with it more often than expected beyond these distances, I’ll have to seriously consider installing a LRA Aux fuel tank.

So in short, if I am limiting the 8-speed tranny to six gears when doing actual work, is it really any better than the older 6-speed? Outside of standard daily driving and only in regards to unladen highway speeds, I’d have to say no.

I prefer the 6-speed.

I don't want to open this up for another pre-2016 vs 2016+ argument, but the upgrades and better brakes were enough for me to buy the 2016. I can live with the 8 speed.

How far are you going with the build? The 8spd can make gears unnecessary potentially saving done coin. But not 13k worth..
So in short, if I am limiting the 8-speed tranny to six gears when doing actual work, is it really any better than the older 6-speed?

The 6spd would be limited to 4 in similar circumstances, which means no low 1st and with much larger jumps in revs between gears potentially taking the engine out of the power band.

How far are you going with the build? The 8spd can make gears unnecessary potentially saving done coin. But not 13k worth..

The 6spd would be limited to 4 in similar circumstances, which means no low 1st and with much larger jumps in revs between gears potentially taking the engine out of the power band.
I plan to do a 2.5 inch Icon or Kings kit with 33s or 35s, aluminum front and rear bumpers because I don't plan to go rock climbing intentionally, steel slider/step, fridge with front runner drawer system, roof rack, and necessary electrical.
As for towing, I don't plan to do it very often, and if I did, it would be a small boat short distance.

Lookswise I prefer the 2016, but I really rather save the money and put it into upgrades

I plan to do a 2.5 inch Icon or Kings kit with 33s or 35s, aluminum front and rear bumpers because I don't plan to go rock climbing intentionally, steel slider/step, fridge with front runner drawer system, roof rack, and necessary electrical.
As for towing, I don't plan to do it very often, and if I did, it would be a small boat short distance.

Lookswise I prefer the 2016, but I really rather save the money and put it into upgrades

I prefer the 2016+ as well hence why I have one, but in your case I’d save the money and get the 2013 and then put those savings into your build, you can always get the 16+ front end and hood should you simply want the aesthetic, a few have done that.

No issue with my 8-speed. Smooth. Shifts fine. I don’t drive like a madman. Benefits for off-roading are a big plus for me. It helps with towing but i would not know.

I have yet to benefit from the low first Offroad but hopefully that’ll change next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom