6 Speed against the 4.0 V6? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Taco w/4.0 is offered with 6 speed manual, it is a sister vehicle to the 4runner, so it seems it is conceivable, electronics/wiring/ECU would probably be the tough part.

I do believe the 05 dcab has a manual option

Yes the new '05 Taco has a 6sp in all models if you want it. It was only the previous double-cab that you could not get a stick in. I think a new Taco, 6sp manual, double-cab, short bed (maybe even bobbed some) would be a sweet truck!

However, does the TRD still have the rear e-locker? I could not find it online where it said it did, it said it had a limited-slip rear differential, but I did not see the locker. There are about 5 'offroad' packages though so I could be (and hopefully am) mistaken. I keep meaning to go to a dealership and look at a TRD and see if it has the locker switch, guess I could look on Ebay, I'm sure someone is selling one there with good pics...

Edit: Ok nevermind, only 2 on Ebay and no pictures that are worth a crap...so anybody know forsure about the locker?

Edit2: Nevermind again, I just did some research and it's a bit confusing, on some sites it does NOT have a rear locker, only a limited slip rear, but on Toyota's site it does, but ONLY for the TRD Offroad Package #1/2, the TRD Sport Package does not have a locker, only a rear limited slip, I guess the name "offroad" makes sense then, but didn't realize some TRD ones would not have it.

Last edited:
Hmmm, according to Toyota at least in my Advertizing Zone (based on ZIP code) I don't get that option! The dealers have also said no manuals in dcabs!

Do I need to drive to DEN to buy something?

IIRC, manual tranny and rear locker (TRD package #?) are available in all Tacos except Double Cab LONG bed. Your dealer probably doesn't have what you want in stock, or on the way. They tell you it is not an option, so they can sell you whatever they do happen to have.

Good call firetruck dude. I was just looking it up and you're right the manual tranny isn't available in the doube-cab long-bed, and there is no TRD Offroad package available for that model, there is two TRD Sport packages, but (atleast in the other models) that TRD Sport does not have the locker, it has a limited slip rear diff, only the TRD Offroad package has the locker.

I punched in an AZ zipcode (85635) into www.carsdirect.com and it shows a rear-locked-double-cab-TRD is available for that area, ofcourse that doesn't mean any dealerships have them, but it shows you to the penny what it costs if anyone has one or if you want to special order it.

beaufort-fj60 said:
http://www.buyatoyota.com/

works good for looking up avaliable new toyotas
Cool find, but not updated to show the '05 Tacoma, it only lists the old options/models from the '04 Tacoma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom