6 OEM Crossbars for low profile cheap rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
F06AAB2D-6349-44D7-B332-B8763056C10D.jpeg
Thought I’d share what I did to keep OEM look and gain some functionality...
Over time I was able to find 4 additional crossbars, I also use Equipt OEM style awning mounts and for tie downs I ordered custom 2” double loop buckle straps from strapworks...

Overall cost (cross bars, awning mount and straps) about $250 - this depends heavily on how you find used cross bats...

I did the same, but think I only ended up with 5 crossbars. I have a sixth, but was a little short on hardware to mount them all. Maybe not quite as awesome as a full replacement, but it looks factory from the ground, and is very functional.

image.jpg

Does it make a flat surface, front to back? In other words, looking from the side is it colinear? My understanding is that with two crossbars you can achieve a flat surface front to back (two points are colinear), but three or more will form an arc. So no flat surface for mounting a RTT or carrying long rigid items like lumber, plywood, etc..

Do you have a picture from the side showing the profile?

Does it make a flat surface, front to back? In other words, looking from the side is it colinear? My understanding is that with two crossbars you can achieve a flat surface front to back (two points are colinear), but three or more will form an arc. So no flat surface for mounting a RTT or carrying long rigid items like lumber, plywood, etc..

Do you have a picture from the side showing the profile?
Good question, I’ll test with my snowboard when I get a chance...

It is pretty flat. The last crossbar might have a 5mm gap from flat.

How particular are you?

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's actually much flatter than I expected. My immediate need is carrying my Oztent RV5 which is about 7' long and rigid. I was hesitant to carry it on the factory crossbars as I didn't want all the pressure on two points and potentially damaging the aluminum frame. I also need to carry a skybox 16 and a couple rotopax fuel containers. I installed some Yakima round bars but they howl really bad on the highway so I would like to go back to factory bars if possible.

Good stuff, love the ingenuity!

View attachment 2398282Thought I’d share what I did to keep OEM look and gain some functionality...
Over time I was able to find 4 additional crossbars, I also use Equipt OEM style awning mounts and for tie downs I ordered custom 2” double loop buckle straps from strapworks...

Overall cost (cross bars, awning mount and straps) about $250 - this depends heavily on how you find used cross bats...

sweet. care to share more info about the awning mount and straps?

sweet. care to share more info about the awning mount and straps?
The mounts look like these
OEM Mounts

the straps are from
Strapworks
Basically ordered double looped 2” by 5’ straps with buckle. You loop the Buckle side on the rail and the strap side on the crossbar

I’ll take a picture with gear when I get a chance

Nice. What hardware do I need to add extra OEM crossbars to the OEM rails? Would be nice to have four instead of two for my yet to be installed RTT. Thank you

If you get lucky, the hardware will still be installed in any used crossbars you get.

D1365739-2613-4945-80FF-C5C4A1E02863.jpeg

Thanks for the photo, that is helpful. I guess I can search for both LC & LX570 crossbars, I think from what I read the only difference on the Lx is that the rail track itself is shorter, but width the same. Right? Thanks!

You might want to check that, I think earlier lx crossbars were shorter than the land cruiser ones. Paging @grinchy since I think he knows.

Thanks for the photo, that is helpful. I guess I can search for both LC & LX570 crossbars, I think from what I read the only difference on the Lx is that the rail track itself is shorter, but width the same. Right? Thanks!

LX bars are shorter and won’t fit a LC rack, even if that rack is installed on a LX. Have tried that very thing.

LX bars are shorter and won’t fit a LC rack, even if that rack is installed on a LX. Have tried that very thing.

Not sure if that’s year specific but i 100% reused my 570 bars with an LC rack.

Not sure if that’s year specific but i 100% reused my 570 bars with an LC rack.

I do think it's year specific, because I've heard/read information on this subject that was contrary to what I found/experienced.

I have no desire to ship but if anyone in Utah wants to do this, let me know. I have 2 2016 crossbars lying around I'll never use.

I would take them off your hands but I’m in Oregon and won’t be back in Utah until this fall or next spring. If you change your mind about shipping, I’ll be happy to cover the cost.

Reactions: dmc
I do like this idea, prefer the stock look. I’m adding a 160 lb roofnest shortly. I understand the stock bars have flex, so I’m assuming the middle bars will be where I mount the RTT to, and then the outboard crossbars assist in better distributing the weight as the middle bars flex lower. But I’m going to continue to research this logic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom