6” Hole Saw vs 2021 Land Cruiser! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for the click bait title, I couldn’t resist. Having owned previous used 200s all of which where serviced either by dealers or quick lubes before my ownership and having to deal with missing and or rusted/cross threaded bolts I decided on something different for my new 2021.

After installing the Jowett Filter housing I wanted a way to keep the factory bash plate in place, yet still have access to quickly change the oil filter. So after much brain storming I decided a 6” Diamond Hole saw in the appropriate location was the best solution.

I triple marked where I was going to drill and used a Starrett Diamond Blade Hole Saw along with a Shaviv tool to completely debur the hole afterwords. And yes I do fully realize this defeats the purpose of the plate being fully intact. However my largest concern was protecting the radiator which the factory plate does well. I can tell you that from driving a Silverado thousands of miles in HARSH conditions for my job (FEMA) from Maine to Key West, out to Texas for storms and driving in water deeper than one should the number one use I have concluded that a factory plate protects against is sticks. Anything much heavier and you would need aftermarket plates.

0169F7E0-B5E0-4991-A54A-3FD504840A0C.jpeg

CB60610C-BBE0-4B56-A6AF-11C65B7746B0.jpeg

Sorry for the click bait title, I couldn’t resist. Having owned previous used 200s all of which where serviced either by dealers or quick lubes before my ownership and having to deal with missing and or rusted/cross threaded bolts I decided on something different for my new 2021.

After installing the Jowett Filter housing I wanted a way to keep the factory bash plate in place, yet still have access to quickly change the oil filter. So after much brain storming I decided a 6” Diamond Hole saw in the appropriate location was the best solution.

I triple marked where I was going to drill and used a Starrett Diamond Blade Hole Saw along with a Shaviv tool to completely debur the hole afterwords. And yes I do fully realize this defeats the purpose of the plate being fully intact. However my largest concern was protecting the radiator which the factory plate does well. I can tell you that from driving a Silverado thousands of miles in HARSH conditions for my job (FEMA) from Maine to Key West, out to Texas for storms and driving in water deeper than one should the number one use I have concluded that a factory plate protects against is sticks. Anything much heavier and you would need aftermarket plates.

View attachment 2676182

View attachment 2676183
Nifty idea, have you considered somehow modding the removed part to be reattached but removable? May prevent getting hung up on a rock or root? Also EZ Valve sells a threaded nipple, that screws in where the black plastic cap is, that enables one to attach tubing down to the drain pan.

I have, that’s 2.0. It will have to be a new piece cut, which would be easy enough and had been thinking of installing 2 rivnuts to hold it in place.

Boo! I was expecting at least a snorkel click bait. Thats technically not even the cruiser.. hahahaha

Might work but offers little protection. You could just tack weld a couple of nuts on the backside of the existing plate and a couple of ears on cut out piece. You only needed a 4" hole maybe 3 1/2"

Last edited:
With a 3/8” cordless impact you can have that skid off in under a minute and retain all the factory protection.. I assume you had already considered going that route but it wasn’t to your liking?

With a 3/8” cordless impact you can have that skid off in under a minute and retain all the factory protection.. I assume you had already considered going that route but it wasn’t to your liking?
This. I use my 1/4” impact driver...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom