6 days with my FJ80....now my wife wants one!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just thought I'd share as I found it amusing. After a weekend of general maintenance and detailing on my new '91 FJ80, my wife took it for a drive last night. 20 minutes later she wants one. To fully understand, you have to know that I've had a long string of European cars, and she's liked basically none of them. BMW 540i and 325i, Saab 900SE and 9000 Aero, Mercedes C36 AMG, Porsche 911T and 951, Audi A4, and my current Jaguar XJR. She likes driving the Jaguar, but thinks it's ugly.:rolleyes:

Anyway, of course I'm trying to feed the fire.:D Her current driver is a 2004 Mazda MPV, which is a nice van........but it's a van. She is hesitant to sell because it gets better MPG (21 or so). Of course, her suggestion is that she could drive the FJ80 and I could drive the van.:bang:

My wife told me when we married absolutely never a mini-van.We both drove new sports cars,now older cruisers go figure! It is interesting in Plano,Texas that our cruisers get the attention they do...Mike

Yeah, that can be a problem.

My wife drove the 80 I currently drive until we had kids, after that she didn't want to be lifiting them so much (she's kinda short). So we got her the Passat wagon- which has been good for her.

Much to my dissapointment, I had to sell my 60 to get the VW, but I got the 80 full time after that.

LOL mine 2, I have to hide the keys or else I would never get to drive it.

My wife told me when we married absolutely never a mini-van.We both drove new sports cars,now older cruisers go figure! It is interesting in Plano,Texas that our cruisers get the attention they do...Mike

My wife felt the same way. She had a 2003 4Runner and a 2004 Cadillac SRX prior to the MPV. She likes the practical aspects of the MPV (lots of room, good MPG) but still hates the fact that she drives a minivan. I like the practical aspects, but hate the fact that it's a SOB to work on. There's no excuse for removing an intake manifold to change the back 3 spark plugs.:mad: I also think that long-term a Toyota is going to be a better bet, the MPV has 80k and is starting to require occasional attention. Plus I'd just love to have an LX450 or FZJ80.

That is definitely one of the flaws of the cruiser - it has happened to many of us.

Wait till you have 5 kids like us and they all have cruisers. My daughter got married,my new son-in-law took my daughters ome lifted fj-62 and my daughter drives his Avalon,I dont think she likes the Avalon,I see another cruiser coming! MIke

Go figure. My wife loves our 80 as well. She's 5'3" and it's been her daily driver pretty much since day one in 2000 when we bought it. Even with 5" of lift and 315's, and now with 5 month old twins that she has to lift in and out several times a day. A year or so ago we went and looked at a new Tacoma, a FJ cruiser, and even contemplated a 100 series. I looked at an Audi wagon for her and she said nope to them all. Said she'd rather keep the 80. Now with almost 240k miles I wondering how long it will keep going and asked her if she wants to buy another 80 or look at a 100 series again. She said, nope, just rebuild the 1FZ in the current 80 when it goes. Fine by me.

There's definitely something about these trucks that just works for many women out there. I know that for us it makes great sense, with 4 kids and a dog, I've got seats for all of us and can still wheel it pretty hard. Not many vehicles can do that. I did have to build an off-road trailer to haul gear however, since I'm out of room in the truck.;p

So sounds to me like you should just buy one for your wife. Let her drive it and you can build the snot our of yours.

My wife loved my truck too until she remembered that she had a 100 series with IFS, and currently she is carrying a 10 week old baby in her belly, which doesn't do anything but slosh around in a solid front axle truck. I respect that! 80s rule...

Cheers,

Joel

And you don't want that baby waking up and punching you in the spleen. Congrats. My wife on the other hand doesn't like the cruiser, she wants an MDX because she thinks the cruiser is too big. Looking at the specs the MDX is bigger in almost every way except height.

My wife loved my truck too until she remembered that she had a 100 series with IFS, and currently she is carrying a 10 week old baby in her belly, which doesn't do anything but slosh around in a solid front axle truck. I respect that! 80s rule...

Cheers,

Joel

My wife drives a Daewoo Matiz which we bought due to the economy only a 3 cylinder car could supply and I thought she'd be happy keeping money in her purse for her greatest love - shopping until I passed my old 60 to my son and got my 80 series. Now while I'm out of town I find that she taking trips in my truck while her little car stays tucked up in the carport. No wonder the fuel gauge always reads low. Cant blame her tho, we love the looks people give the truck when we pull up at the lights.
side 2.jpg
IMG_3984.jpg

My wife drives an economy car... sometimes, her 09 Honda Fit, but every time she can, she uses one of the 80's.:D
DSC00202.JPG
2009 Fit 01.JPG

My wife had an '82 Toyota long bed pickup when we started dating. She also refused to ever have a mini-van. After the pickup was an Isuzu Trooper. But she always wanted a Land Cruiser.

Now she has an LX450 and I have an LC.

Guessing from your user name, she will have one.

My wife has had land cruisers for the last 8 years and wont go back to anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom