5w-20 Debate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really doubt Toyota would stack their reputation for reliability on a minor improvement in MPG. I think it's safe to say that if Mr. T recommends a certain oil in the manual, it's tested and proven. It won't fail just outside of warranty.

When in doubt, go with the grade in the owner's manual. Sounds like @suprarx7nut is all over the place with grades (but tests it), and I imagine would have made a deal of it if any of the Blackstone reports came back worse than others.

It's not just Toyota - it's an entire industry. Like it or not cars are becoming more disposable every year, a trend in which Japan has been a leader. That 2019 RAV4 on 0w-16 has an EPA rating of 26 / 35, which is just outstanding, but there was a trade-off there.

It's not just Toyota - it's an entire industry. Like it or not cars are becoming more disposable every year, a trend in which Japan has been a leader. That 2019 RAV4 on 0w-16 has an EPA rating of 26 / 35, which is just outstanding, but there was a trade-off there.
I wonder how the 0w16 oil would behave on our 100 series cruisers. This the newest weight they introduced all for increased mileage. Anyone used or using 0w16 on their LCs/LXs?

On another forum I am a member of there is a poster who is a large midwestern distributor of oil. These oil topics bring out all sorts of opinions. He has posted facts and lab testing. I just picked up 2 cases of 0-20 for my 200 series and my FJC and am going to use it for my next oil change in both. The base oils used in the new zero weight oils are higher quality than the base oils used in five weight oils. Based on the lab results he posted the zero weight oils handle the higher temperatures better than the five weight oils. I am a crusty old guy who was set in my ways. He showed me enough lab testing that I am going to convert.

0W16 viscosity fully synthetic update.

My LX is now halfway thru it’s tank and normally at this point my multi info screen would show 13.6 mpg (70% city driving with 45mph and 30% freeway driving). Now I’m getting 14.6 mpg. Same route, same driving style.

IDK- 0/20 on a new motor/newly designed motor with cylinder cut off and stop/start feature etc. sounds good, but on a 15-20yr old 200k + motor- maybe needs a little more film thickness for my liking. These 4.7s have been running on 5/30~10/30 (depending on market) for 20 years quite reliably. If fuel Econ is the reason for 0/20, I can understand but mine isn't a DD so Econ is not my primary objective.

IDK- 0/20 on a new motor/newly designed motor with cylinder cut off and stop/start feature etc. sounds good, but on a 15-20yr old 200k + motor- maybe needs a little more film thickness for my liking. These 4.7s have been running on 5/30~10/30 (depending on market) for 20 years quite reliably. If fuel Econ is the reason for 0/20, I can understand but mine isn't a DD so Econ is not my primary objective.

If fuel econ is the concern, a 100 shouldn't be in the equation, DD or not. The marginal gains from this oil change are rolling in the weeds. a head wind. a fart. cleaning out your change tray. all likely have more of an impact. It makes no sense. I agree with you, sticking with 5W-30

You got a link? Sounds like an interesting read.

It was on another board I am a member of. It turns a lot faster than here and they archive stuff quicker. I will do a look around and see if I can find it. Also there is a new oil standard coming in May or Jume.

We are talking maybe 2-3%?
Here's a nice article from Europe, from a few years ago, on 0W-16 oil. It's obviously all about fuel economy. I think they are moving slowly on this to be sure that engines fail just after the warranty period ends rather than just before.

Interesting article, not much mpg gain to give away all my 5-30.....but the take away is the lower viscosity oils have a higher quality base (probably less room for "error") I

My LX is now halfway thru it’s tank and normally at this point my multi info screen would show 13.6 mpg (70% city driving with 45mph and 30% freeway driving). Now I’m getting 14.6 mpg. Same route, same driving style.

placebo, you likely unconsciously drove more economically knowing full well you are testing for better mpg.

I'd love to see Blackstone reports for the 0-20 or 0-16 in a 100 with high miles. I do Blackstone reports on every oil change now. It's really, really neat, IMO. The folks reviewing the labs watch and track your history and can trend all kinds of helpful things. For my 99, they recently recommended 6k changes since the wear rate of metals seems to be optimal there (I've normally done ~10k). I'll try another 7,500+ change this next time and see if wear rates creep up again.

If the 0-20 or thinner stuff poses any risks, they'd find it, no doubt.

I run 0-40 or maybe 5-30. Far as I'm concerned, everyone should get that first number as low as possible. That's what characterizes flow during the high wear moments and I don't think there's an oil on the market that's "too thin" cold. I worry about the 16 or 20 weight oils in older motors not designed for it.

placebo, you likely unconsciously drove more economically knowing full well you are testing for better mpg.
I actually drove it a little harder, more acceleration, higher rpms, I guess that’s the placebo effect of a car that just got “fresh oil”.

:cool:
I'd love to see Blackstone reports for the 0-20 or 0-16 in a 100 with high miles. I do Blackstone reports on every oil change now. It's really, really neat, IMO. The folks reviewing the labs watch and track your history and can trend all kinds of helpful things. For my 99, they recently recommended 6k changes since the wear rate of metals seems to be optimal there (I've normally done ~10k). I'll try another 7,500+ change this next time and see if wear rates creep up again.

If the 0-20 or thinner stuff poses any risks, they'd find it, no doubt.

I run 0-40 or maybe 5-30. Far as I'm concerned, everyone should get that first number as low as possible. That's what characterizes flow during the high wear moments and I don't think there's an oil on the market that's "too thin" cold. I worry about the 16 or 20 weight oils in older motors not designed for it.

The only oil that's too thin *cold* is in places like AZ where *cold* in the summer is not cold at all :rofl:

:cool:

The only oil that's too thin *cold* is in places like AZ where *cold* in the summer is not cold at all :rofl:

Haha, I lived in Phoenix for a couple years and I definitely didn't worry about that first number. My first week back in Colorado I was starting the car at 0F in the morning and this was on my commute.

1583386105701.png

Why did I leave Phoenix again? Oh, right. Scorpions. Everywhere. 😨

Haha, I lived in Phoenix for a couple years and I definitely didn't worry about that first number. My first week back in Colorado I was starting the car at 0F in the morning and this was on my commute.

View attachment 2229560

Why did I leave Phoenix again? Oh, right. Scorpions. Everywhere. 😨

Fair enough! I will say though (which will probably jinx me) the scorpion thing is so weird... My neighbors have them BAD... I haven't seen a single one in three years... it's weird how drastically it varies. Now, tomorrow I will probably step on three, eat one, and one will fall from my sun visor

Did you say Scorpions?
1583412116932.jpeg

Anyway a good quality synthetic will get the job done be it 0W/-, 5W/- or 20W/-

Any update on your 0w16 experience? :)

Any update on your 0w16 experience? :)
Same lol. I got more weight now. At the end of it all, I think viscosity significantly matters in subzero conditions but not here in Las Vegas.

How long did u run it for? did u analyze it?
I will switch to 0w20 soon and keep it that way but not 0w16 :)
It’s been years now and no I didn’t bother getting it analyzed, for me it’s oil - lubricant and the primary cooling component of the engine.l as long as there’s no oil leaks anywhere, not under/over-filled, engine is happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom