5th annual Tucson CSC New Years Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I don't want to speak too soon but my wife asked my mom to look after our dogs for the night of the 1st... :D

Mr. Baggins-

I have a friend with a stock FJC, locked rear. He doesn't mind pinstripes. Does this trail require high clearance, or will he be OK?

You guys are still planning to camp, yes? I may be in on that, but will need to dovetail with Kevin's crew somehow to meet the next day. Will need to find out where they're staying and if there's camping relatively close if they're not near your camp. Also, most likely will have another 80 along, the same guy I brought along last year.

Stock FJC should be fine. And we will be camping in Turkey Creek.

Just a bump e d bump. with some info I found while relaxing and researching.

Quoted from a jeeper age 64 from Scottsdale, AZ

It has been said that "any road that is difficult enough for carpets needed to aid in traction must be bad". If you chose to drive this 70 mile through "Rug Road" route, it should be noted that if you are driving a short wheel base 4x4 vehicle as I was, for 17 miles of the total 70 mile trip, you will need, at a minimum: 32" tires and one full locker in the rear differential (Note: On a short wheel base 4x4, for more security and for safety reasons, I recommend 33" or larger tires, full lockers both front and back, and with aftermarket lower ring & pinion gearing). If you decide to drive this 70 mile through route from Mammoth to Hwy 70(west to east), it will easier to negotiate down“"Carpet Hill" than traveling this same route from Hwy 70 to Mammoth(east to west) as it will be more difficult to climb up the "Carpet Hill" segment.. but by no means am I implying that this "Carpet Hill" segment is your only 4x4 driving challenge for this above mentioned 17 mile 4x4 section

Key reference GPS waypoints for this 70 mile one way route are:
TH Start at Mammoth, AZ (Hwy 77/Copper Creek Rd)………….. N32 43.215 W110 38.642
Start of The Rug Road……………………………………………… N32 45 027 W110 31.097
Start of Carpet Hill (going downhill)………………………………… N32 47.060 W110 30.023
Trip High Point at Table Mtn Saddle-Galiuro Divide………………. N32 48.568 W110 30.274
Primary Campsite off Rug Road at Upper Virgus Cyn area……… N32 49.166 W110 28.979
Rug Road route on & above Oak Grove Cyn#5019 where it enters
Turkey Creek Canyon at BLM Route#5018.………………………..N32 52.017 W110 25.878
Turkey Creek Canyon at Aravaipa Canyon#5018………………….N32 53.790 W110 26.602
Aravaipa Canyon#5018 at Klondyke Store………………………… N32 50.192 W 110 19.954
Klondyke Store to Hwy 70 TH End…………………………………… N32 56.842 W 109 54.716

some good info..... maybe

That review makes it sound hard. :rolleyes:

Yogi will be riding with me again and he has the whole route saved on his netbook from the last run.

ahem, I wasn't planning on camping.....

Hi Folks,

I'd like to tag along with the red taco if there is room on the trail. I've been meaning to try the rug road but never quite made it (odd since its only ten miles from home!).

Steve

Hi Folks,

I'd like to tag along with the red taco if there is room on the trail. I've been meaning to try the rug road but never quite made it (odd since its only ten miles from home!).

Steve

C'mon Steve!

Gotta Bail on the ride

Move me from tentative to confirmed can't. Wife will be up in Phoenix as of Wed having surgery, so no wheeling for us for a while. Obligatory LC post - Thankful that whatever toyota engineer decided that the inline fuel filter on a FJ60 is held in by a metal clip, clamps on the gas lines, and can be replaced by hand without tools in less than 2 minutes, and is easily accessible in the passenger side of the motor compartment. (This weekends wrenching on the rig) PS. Just passed 200K on the FJ60 - Woot! Glenn and Lars

Good luck on the wife's surgery - hope it nothing too invasive.

MaddBaggins; Jim & Lorna from Sorry Vista would like to join this run. Would meet with you folks at the Circle K. Is there room for us to join the party? Any permits required for the rug road? Thanks, Jim

MaddBaggins; Jim & Lorna from Sorry Vista would like to join this run. Would meet with you folks at the Circle K. Is there room for us to join the party? Any permits required for the rug road? Thanks, Jim

No permits and you're welcome to join Jim.
You gonna meet in Tucson or Mammoth?

Forcast looks good, high pressure moving in at the end of the week. Mid/upper 30's for lows and upper/lower 50's/ 60's for highs.

Forcast looks good, high pressure moving in at the end of the week. Mid/upper 30's for lows and upper/lower 50's/ 60's for highs.

Yup, checked it last night. Both Safford and Mammoth are calling for low 60's/low 30's.

Alvin; We shall meet you folks at the circle K in Tucson. Looking forward to seeing you again. Should be a good time.

Jim, you bringing a 40 ?

:bounce:

The only 40 I'm bringing is Lorna. She's 40 and then some!

Tools; We're going to overnight in Globe and would like to run with you guys the next day. Made reservations at Motel 6. Cheers, Jim

I'd like to do this run...but I'm on the fence about bringing the boy. Any other 4-6 yr olds that coming, possibly Jedi's? The boy likes to go but only if there's play time with friends too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom