1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5spd on a 60?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by blupaddler, Jan 27, 2004.

1. blupaddler

blupaddler

I have been looking for a landcruiser lately, and recently came across one with a 5spd transmission (nf55??). I was hoping for some of your experiences with that transmission. Such things as does it make a difference driving around on the hwy(since this would be my daily driver). Also, if you have one what are your general impressions of the 5spd? Is first gear like a "granny" gear, and if it is does it help out when you go wheelin'. Any information would help.

From what I know and/or can gather so far is that they are imported from Australia. Additionally if I purchased a Landcruiser with a 4spd, how difficult, and more importantly how much would it cost?

That's all I can think of so far. Thanks in advance

robb

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    the H55F is a great trany, it's a Toyota unit used in non US spec Cruisers. New they are close to $2000. 1st gear is a grany gear 4.5ish to 1, 5th is an over drive. You should not tow in 5th, but thats the case with most 5 speeds(OD's) no real issues that I am aware of.

the H55F is a bolt on conversion for late 85 to 87 fj60's, it will fit earlier 60's with driveshaft mods and some other stuff. If you looking to swap one into a 60, new is you best bet, the Aussie units have prolly been used pretty hard. If a used unit out of a Japanese Cruiser its prolly in better shape.

I have never drivin a 60 with a H55F but I remember hearing they are not a smooth as the stock 4 speed, recall hearing them called more agricutlural feeling. But I have never heard of anyone that regreted swaping one.

take a look over in the tech there is info there I think

3. Mike S

Mike S

I have installed an H55F Toyota 5 speed in my 1987 FJ60. I have put a couple thousand miles on the truck since installation. Having driven the truck both before and after the conversion, I can offer "before and after" impressions...

Positive:

This is a VERY good modification. Prior to the 5 speed install, The truck strained to maintain 65 mph + on the highway. This was with 31" Goodyear MT/Rs. After the installation of the 5 speed, I am able to comfortably travel at 75 mph @ about 2500 RPM. The performance on longer grades (I live in the West) is actually improved slightly, which surprised me. This is, I think, because the 2F has more torque at the lower end of the RPM band. I would never own another 60 without this modification. It is great. Also, at low end, the response to the throttle is crisper, and the lower gear will allow you to chirp your tires, or attack a grade in first with more confidence. There is also the 'cool factor'.

Negative:

Cost. With install, it runs about $3k. The transmission is stiffer to shift than the old 4 speed, but it's new, and the 4 speed had over 100K miles on it. It may be smother after more use, but I do not know this will actually happen.

Bottom line:

If you can afford it, don't leave home without it.

Mike S

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    A customer supplied a used 5spd trans and t-case that I installed in his 84-60. Was not hard to shift, and drove very well. If I ever decied to build a wagon, I will install a Toytoa 5spd.(unless I go V8, in which case I will install a NV4500) Driveshaft modifications, lengthen the front and shorten the rear wll be required when changing out the trans in a 4spd truck, but not that big of a deal.

Good luck!

-Steve

5. devo

devo

Besides going to a V8 and a NV4500 the H55 5spd was the best conversion/modification I ever did for my 60. It's a great tranny and makes everyday and every trail driveability better.
    Be cautious if the the tranny is used and supposabley a rebuilt Ausse from the venders out there. My first one was and didn't last a year and then was not worth rebuilding. So I bought a brand new one from Toyota and life was good again.
    Not having 5spds was just one more good Cruiser part we here in the USA got screwed out of.
    devo

6. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

John...looking back for my old post about something similar I think it's been lost...

What is the deal with tossing one in a '62's? Bolt in for an '87 60 but what about the newer rigs?

RJ

7. sl33py

sl33py

??? Ok, i have a 7/85 FJ60 and would really like to put a h55 in it. While i do it i am thinking of doing the clutch as well. I have several questions (sorry if they have been asked a million times).

1- do i need a special clutch kit? I see a sachs kit and a aisin (sp?) for a 4sp.

2- what about a centerforce with the h55? i've heard of hotspots on the flywheel? anyone had this combo and how did it work out?

3- is this a "drop in" replacement or do i need to shorten/lengthen any driveshafts? modify mounting brackets?

I would appreciate anyones experience, especially if they have the same setup. Thanks guys!

sl33py

8. 2mbb

2mbb SILVER Star

I have a 5/85 FJ-60 with H55f and centerforce dual friction. The transmission is great--much better freeway drivability. With the centerforce, I do experience a bit of clutch drag. I've checked/replaced the hydraulics and everything seems OK, but there are times that I simply can't get the transmission into first. I had the same clutch installed prior to installing the 5 speed and I did not have these problems with the 4 speed. A refaced flywheel was installed with the new transmission (after the clutch had a few thousand miles on it).

The H55F should bolt in to the 7/85 FJ60 with almost no mods. There is one bolt hole on the split transfer case that needs to be plugged to keep the transmission oil out of the transfer case.

9. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    5 and 4 speed use the same clutch as far as I know, so I can use my new ASisin clutch with my new H55F :D

its doable on a 62, will need trany, pedal, clutch ect. I think bellhousing from newer fj60, prolly front driveline, t-case will work fine, clutch master, not sure if the hole in hump lines up or not, prolly some other stuff. If getting a new trany add 1k for other stuff, plus labor. If having it done prolly 4-5k.

John

10. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=sl33py link=board=1;threadid=10677;start=msg96060#msg96060 date=1075235946]
    1- do i need a special clutch kit? I see a sachs kit and a aisin (sp?) for a 4sp.

2- what about a centerforce with the h55? i've heard of hotspots on the flywheel? anyone had this combo and how did it work out?

3- is this a "drop in" replacement or do i need to shorten/lengthen any driveshafts? modify mounting brackets?

I would appreciate anyones experience, especially if they have the same setup. Thanks guys!

sl33py
    [/quote]

1 and 2- No, you do not need a special clutch kit, and I would go OEM or LUK, personally. The input on the H55F trans is the same as the four speed.

3- Driveshaft lengths will change, front longer, rear shorter, as the demensions of the five-speed are longer than the four speed, but the casting for the five speed where the crossmemeber mounts is in the same location as the four speed so there will not be any changes needed there.

As many others have stated, go with a new unit from Toyota. I thought that one or more of the TLCA vendors were advertising a sale on this tranny in the last issue of the trails..

Good luck!

-Steve

11. Jman

Jman

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10677;start=msg96090#msg96090 date=1075241285]

3- Driveshaft lengths will change, front longer, rear shorter, as the demensions of the five-speed are longer than the four speed, but the casting for the five speed where the crossmemeber mounts is in the same location as the four speed so there will not be any changes needed there.
    -Steve
    [/quote]

I thought the 7/85 FJ60 would have the newer 4-speed that has the spacer on the back--the H55 should be basically a bolt on job, shouldn't it?

12. Mike S

Mike S

If yours is the later model FJ60 (not sure what date they started, but I think you qualify) there is no driveshaft alteration - it's a bolt up. Go with a complete new OEM clutch assembly, new seals and Tcase rebuild while you are in there. Gary Kardum at Mudrak did mine, and we fixed or replaced a number of bits and pieces at the same time. Runnin' great now.

Mike S

13. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    you are correct, driveshafts need no mods. New shifter, oiler and trany........that should be it, on late 85-87.

brand new OEM H55F's from vendors $1800ish.......or at your local dealer(if they like you) nice thing about the local dealer is....no shiping but prolly get nailed with sales tax. last I checked(few months ago) there were H55Fs sitting in the CA Toyota wherehouse.......just wainting for a new home in a fj60 :)

I'm still kicking myself for being cheap, I did a new clutch and other stuff this summer....I really should have droped the $1800 on the H55.........but it had already been a spendy year :rolleyes:

[quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=10677;start=msg96098#msg96098 date=1075242306]
    I thought the 7/85 FJ60 would have the newer 4-speed that has the spacer on the back--the H55 should be basically a bolt on job, shouldn't it?

[/quote]

14. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry folks, was caught in the earlier series mindset, and missed the 7/85 very important piece of the question...

-Steve

15. dogboy

dogboy

yes, yes, and yes again......the H55F makes all the difference in the world.

first is smaller than on a 4-spd. which does help off-road with the added bonus that if you make the jump to bigger tires (say 33's), the resultant change in the tire-to-gear ratio relationship is offset by this "shorter" gear, meaning you may not want or have to change out the gearing in the differential to correct for the shift (no pun intended) in ratios.

biggest advantage for us has been the driveability at highway speeds -- less motor noise, less engine strain, lower rpm's, higher driving speeds, quieter interior, better gas mileage.....everything that an OD should do for any vehicle

ours came from Canada, if that helps

-dogboy- '87 FJ60 h55f 5-speed fool

16. Dunbar

Dunbar

I put a new H55F into my 1988 FJ62 and love it.

I bought a new Toyota unit and new OEM clutch, shifter, knob, slave and master cylinders, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch fork dust boot, and 5th gear oilier funnel.
    I purchased used late model FJ60 parts including drive shafts, bell housing, clutch cover, pedal assembly, hydraulic line, transmission tunnel plate, shifter boot, clutch fork, throw out bearing carrier and flywheel.

You have to fabricate a cross member because the H55F is shorter than the A440F. The late FJ60 cross member would not line up on the frame rails. I used an early FJ60 cross member and welded ½” plate steel to the frame with holed drilled in it for bolting the short cross member.

To get the pedal assembly into position you have to remove the instrument cluster and unbolt and lower the steering column and unbolt and suspend the brake master cylinder. I used a Greenlee punch to make the hole for the master cylinder. There is no guesswork for doing this because the hole positions are stamped onto the firewall for the master cylinder and the 2 bolt holes.

You will also need longer bolts to hold the Tcase to the H55F. You can use the FJ62 Tcase shifter and boot but the linkage will need to be shortened. You will also have to fabricate a plate to cover the hole where the Automatic shifter was attached which was not hard at all, use the rubber gasket from beneath the auto shifter as a template and then as a gasket for the new plate.

Do not use the 2 spacers from behind the old flywheel. You will have to remove the top cover from the H55F in order to stab the whole assembly into the engine. I did not anticipate this and did not have a new gasket on hand but the old one stayed intact. The FSM shows the stabbing procedure with the bell housing already mounted to the engine but this is impossible because it the bolts that mount it are behind the not accessible that way.

No one could tell me what the 5th gear oilier funnel actually does or where it goes but I finally figured that out just before I was going to give up on it. It actually mounts on the front half of the Tcase between the Tcase and the transfer adapter (that houses the 5th gear). There is not a hole so I guess that it gets oil splashed into the top of it which is redirected at the 5th gear shaft.

The final drive is shorter than it was with the A440F overdrive and I wish that I had bought 33’s instead of the BFG AT 31’s I am running as I have the stock 411diffs. 1st gear is a granny but I start out in it often. I shift into 4th gear by 40mph and 5th by 45 unless I am only going a couple of blocks. I have not had a chance to wheel with it yet but there is plenty of low gear. This truck should have been imported with the H55F! Before this conversion I put a rebuilt A440F that I bought from a vortec lister in the truck and it lasted less than 4k miles. Don’t pay $750 plus shipping for a used A440F install a H55F. I am compiling a parts list and will write up the proceedure with photos for the files section of the 3FE list.

Go for it!
    Dunbar

17. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

Dunbar, GREAT post!

Looking forward to the complete writeup!!!!!!

RJ

18. sl33py

sl33py

wow, thanks for all the info guys! It looks like i can start saving for a h55.

19. boerboel313

boerboel313

Never tso late to reply. I have about 3000 on my new h55 tranny and I love it. I have an 84 so I had to get a rebuilt transfer case from an 86 or 87 fj60 so that the tranny would bolt on. The entire install plus tranny and transfer cost me almost $5000. My cruiser has 70,000 miles on her so the tranny should last me a very long time. Great on the highway cruise at close to 80 at about 3000 rpm.

20. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    [/QUOTE]

Somehow Pimp I thought you would have done the coolest diesel 5 speed swap by now:rolleyes::D
    I guess its never too late:flipoff2:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">