5Overland Trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting to make progress on this build so I figured I would start to document. Trailer was purchased from a local guy that built six trailers with military beds and a custom chasis. I picked this one because it had the military bed, which I knew would be stout.

The day we picked it up.

So far, I have replaced the axle with a Timbren 3500HD axleless suspension, matched the wheels and tires, and purchased the water tanks.

Made a few cuts today, and tacked them together. Need to get a door before I go too much further.

Following, looks good so far. I’m anxious to see what you design and build. This is one of the builds I’d like to tackle one day. First I gotta get a welder and learn how to weld though!

Decided to make my own door. I can't believe how expensive doors are! Almost down with exterior framing.

Picked up this gem the other day. Kitchen is set. Just need to build a box for it.

Starting to make progress on this build so I figured I would start to document. Trailer was purchased from a local guy that built six trailers with military beds and a custom chasis. I picked this one because it had the military bed, which I knew would be stout.

The day we picked it up.
View attachment 2015132

So far, I have replaced the axle with a Timbren 3500HD axleless suspension, matched the wheels and tires, and purchased the water tanks.
View attachment 2015141

View attachment 2015145
How much was the Timbren?

About $900 with the brakes.

I agree on the cost of doors. They're pretty big bucks when you're trying to keep it cheap during a diy project. I made my own and learned a few things. The main thing is your weather stripping. Get the weather stripping first, before you build. I ordered some after the build only to find out it was way too tight, and not letting the door close. I ended up using a self adhesive seal that has been working great. Look for some full mortise hinges, too. The ones I got have been solid. 1000's of open/ close and still tight. Hit me up and I can give you dimensions, ideas, ect...

@1sar39 , do you have any pictures of your door? Would love to see them!

Picked up the water heater. I love this thing. Works amazingly.
MVIMG_20190721_155204.jpg

More progress. Hoping to complete the frame in a couple weeks.

MVIMG_20190803_162456.jpg

Just what is that sink/stove thing? Looks cool

Looking good man. Just keep in mind three things when home building...

1. Weight
2. Weight
3. Weight

Keep up the good work, make every decision from here based on weight.

Getting the stove and sink box finalized. Excited about the swing out kitchen.

MVIMG_20190828_191541.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom