1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5MPG Gain Possilbe?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Radd Cruisers, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Read some article on a engine which produced poor fuel economey, kinda like my 80 on our ski trip which produced 12MPG highway.

I have a high miler and was thinking about some of the upgrades I had seen in this article, they replaced most of the iginition components with high grade units.

High grade plug wires
    High output coil
    Four point spark plugs, need no gapping?
    High flow air filter (TRD)
    Carbon resistant distributor and rotor

Other upgrades for economey would be clean or replace injectors, not much familiar with gasser injectors?

Rob
    Radd Cruisers

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    12mpg going sking is prolly about correct.

AFIAK and AFAIC the OEM stuff is about as good as its gonna get on the FZJ. Just swap that dsl in and watch the MPG go up :D

I suspect the plug wires are prolly vintage 1994 on your rig......can't hurt to replace em.

3. tucker74

tucker74 Moderator

Try anything you like - but you're not going to get a 5 MPG gain out of a FZJ80. As much as we all love these trucks, fuel economy simply doesn't enter into the equation. Don't get me wrong here - you may very well gain 2-3 MPG, but at what expense (and for how long)? The money would be better spent somewhere else if you ask me....just my two cents.

Tucker

4. floatinghat

floatinghat

5MPG, Well downhill with tail wind!

Actually first trip out I got 17.73 MPG, then reality set in average over 5,000miles, 13.75MPG.

I got to 14.36 last tank after running Lucas FI cleaner through a couple of times. I'm going to air up to 35psi (from 28) and see if that helps any it can't hurt. I look at ti this way, I got 16 - 17 in my J##P. 2-3 MPG is worth it.

I guess the optimist in my alway gets excited when I get 200-225 mile at half a tank. Then every time the fuel gauge plays sub commander (dive, dive, dive).

andre

5. Pitbull

Pitbull

I get 15 mpg, but I have new plug wires, plugs, etc. use all OEM stuff and my truck is light, I keep the third row seats in the basement. I also run 91 octane so it does not ping. I use a fuel system cleaner every 3K miles. I'm going to try a friends fuel system cleaner in the spring, he has his own shop and they hook your LC up to a machine and run cleaner through your LC for about 30 minutes. Suppose to make it like new. Figure it will be good for my rig since I will have around 140K miles by that time.

6. lagwagon

lagwagon

At the mileage you have you might want to send the injectors out to be cleaned and balanced but you won't gain much. Just wait until you fit some larger tires. :D

7. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Rob,

You mention a diesel in your sig line, but sparkplugs in your 80? Which is it? Also, which gas engine do you have? An FZJ will do far better than that number - sounds like you could easily get better. OTOH, if you reply that you have an FJ80 then you're doing fine.

DougM

8. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

If you're talking about a 5 mpg gain over the 12 mpg you experienced than, yes it may be possible because I get a little over 16 mpg on the highway. Where you completely loaded with people & gear? Driving in mountains? I would still guess better than 12 mpg fully loaded. I've averaged 16.5 a few times but usually only calculate it to make sure the rig is still running correctly. You can always wait for the 2006 Tundra that will offer a gas/electric hybrid. ;)

9. sea2skydad

sea2skydad

Rob,

I assume that you are talking US gallons, for the benefit of most of the forum. Still, 12 mpg seems real low. On my maiden voyage from LA to Van. I got around 430 miles to the tankful. That's I-5, cruise on most of the way and rarely over 70 mph. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm getting approx. 380 miles to the tankful on the highway ( the 99 ) and about 270 around town, leaving probably 13-15 litres in reserve. About 15 miles/ Imp. gallon city and 20 on the highway. Not an econo-car by a long shot, but not that bad for a 5000 lb. tank.

If you do all your ignition mods, let me know if you see any improvement. I'm sure mine are all original. Cheers, Greg.

10. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

To answer a couple of question,

-It is a 1994 FZJ with gasser engine
    -We were fully load with Car toper full and two kids
    -We did drive into the mountains climbing 6000 FT above Sea level
    -The truck drove awsome and had lots of power even at 250Miles
    -We do have a 1HD-T that my customer wants me to buy off him
    -You can buy a lot of gas for 6K and its a shame to change out such a great running motor.

Thanks for the help, sounds like it it is not plausable to up the economey on this rig with aftermarket goodies which would improve combustion burn.

Rob

11. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    see I knew Rob was prolly pretty loaded up seeing how they were heading sking........and I'm just gonna guess.......that the ski slopes were up hill not down :D and prolly not on an Interstate doing a set speed.

To me 12mpg in these conditions dont sound very far off.

and its canada so one Canadian MPG is only = to .75 in the US...........its the exchange rate :flipoff2:

12. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Pimp makes a good point - were these Canadian consumption figures?? You can improve a bit on MPG and that sounds REALLY low it it's US figs. I get 12 towing a 6000lb boat trailer with roof box and a weeks worth of gear plus 4 occupants. But I've done a few things.

13. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

How about running the safari turbo w/ intercooler? maybe 2mpg extra?

14. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=11597;start=msg105821#msg105821 date=1076970384]
    Pimp makes a good point - were these Canadian consumption figures?? You can improve a bit on MPG and that sounds REALLY low it it's US figs. I get 12 towing a 6000lb boat trailer with roof box and a weeks worth of gear plus 4 occupants. But I've done a few things.
    [/quote]

Those numbers are US gallons and felt it may be a little low.

Rob

15. Rogue

Rogue

My 94 goes ~220 miles before the little orange light comes on. Average fill is ~20 gallons.

16. floatinghat

floatinghat

Rogue,

I can go 220 miles until I hit 1/2 a tank then another 80 to 100 before I start looking for a fill.

andre

17. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

[​IMG]

Maybe get a few more MPG with this mod...but it's high maint.... :D

18. sea2skydad

sea2skydad

FWIW,

The Imperial (Canadian) gallon is 20% bigger than it's US counterpart so we get better per gallon figures. Still the same distance from a tankful. Now change the miles into kilometres and throw the exchange rate into the equation and you really start some head scratching!

19. Rogue

Rogue

[quote author=floatinghat link=board=2;threadid=11597;start=msg105882#msg105882 date=1076978384]
    Rogue,

I can go 220 miles until I hit 1/2 a tank then another 80 to 100 before I start looking for a fill.

andre
    [/quote]

Wanna trade?

20. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

and quit talking in old speak, quote consumption in internationally recognised jargon, number of Litres per 100km :)