$5900 LX470 still has AHC 238k miles, worth the risk? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This sounds like a great deal and investment. If the truck is in good shape, you should go for it. Just be prepared to deal with any surprises, expecting to spend up to another 5K for fixes and upgrades after you get it. I have a 2003 LC, bought it at 195k, and I love it. I’ve kept it mostly stock. The only thing is I wish it had AHC. :) And that is mostly because as a kid I once got to ride in a Citroën which was awesome with the adjustable ride height. The ride on my LC is so smooth.

Something else to add...don't rush to spend thousands in PM right away, unless of course obviously broken. Do a little at a time as budget allows. I suppose if budget allows shoot for it being perfect as some do. I've done nearly nothing to mine except for flush AHC, heater T's, power steering pump, which wasn't bad, noise was from the alternator which was replaced. Steering rack leaked, but added the stop leak stuff, good for now. TB due (supposedly), eventually will get to it. Point is like @EricUT said it just runs. I went too far with my 80 for my budget, just bad decisions, to get it cool and where I thought I wanted it...and now don't have it. Just personal opinion from my own situation. Obviously we're all different, and unlike outside society today, that's ok here.

Well, drove 3 hrs to TX and picked up “Goldilocks” (May or May not stick) for $5500. Was super bummed that I wasn’t told the sunroof was taped up and not work. Other the a bad battery, the ride home was great. Drove great, rode great. Sucked down a half a tank of gas but hey I expected that. Now it’s sitting at the shop and I can get under it tomorrow and found out just how good or bad I just did.

Well, drove 3 hrs to TX and picked up “Goldilocks” (May or May not stick) for $5500. Was super bummed that I wasn’t told the sunroof was taped up and not work. Other the a bad battery, the ride home was great. Drove great, rode great. Sucked down a half a tank of gas but hey I expected that. Now it’s sitting at the shop and I can get under it tomorrow and found out just hope good or bad I just did.

Now wait a minute! You didn't say you were stealing one from Texas! :frown: That would've fit in "Sister Margaret's Home for Wayward LC/LX" (my driveway) just fine.

Add a set of 285/75R16 AT tires, pull the running boards, and catch up on any deferred maintenance, and I suspect that it will put a smile on your face :)

Your priorities and preferences might differ, but some of the first things that we did on ours were:

Spector Off Road Tuff Duck seat covers Page 309 Land Cruiser 100 Series Tuff Duck Slip Covers
Loncky Steering wheel cover: Amazon product ASIN B077LRSLXH
Installed a Sony XAV-AX1000 using this thread Nakamichi Update - '99 LX 470
A BenCC M2V2 mount for a phone Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build
A BenCC M12 mount for a ScanGauge Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build

Well, drove 3 hrs to TX and picked up “Goldilocks” (May or May not stick) for $5500. Was super bummed that I wasn’t told the sunroof was taped up and not work. Other the a bad battery, the ride home was great. Drove great, rode great. Sucked down a half a tank of gas but hey I expected that. Now it’s sitting at the shop and I can get under it tomorrow and found out just how good or bad I just did.

Congrats!! On Sale price besides! Can't say I've ever opened my sunroof.

Now wait a minute! You didn't say you were stealing one from Texas! :frown: That would've fit in "Sister Margaret's Home for Wayward LC/LX" (my driveway) just fine.

Add a set of 285/75R16 AT tires, pull the running boards, and catch up on any deferred maintenance, and I suspect that it will put a smile on your face :)

Your priorities and preferences might differ, but some of the first things that we did on ours were:

Spector Off Road Tuff Duck seat covers Page 309 Land Cruiser 100 Series Tuff Duck Slip Covers
Loncky Steering wheel cover: Amazon product ASIN B077LRSLXH
Installed a Sony XAV-AX1000 using this thread Nakamichi Update - '99 LX 470
A BenCC M2V2 mount for a phone Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build
A BenCC M12 mount for a ScanGauge Benjamin’s 3D Prints Build

How do you like the seat covers?

How do you like the seat covers?

I wouldn't call them "beautiful" but they do function/feel good. I think the Wet Okole, in my son's vehicle, look much better than the SOR, but I think the SOR feel much better than the Wet Okole. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a darker shade, instead of trying to match the tan leather of our LX.

I wouldn't call them "beautiful" but they do function/feel good. I think the Wet Okole, in my son's vehicle, look much better than the SOR, but I think the SOR feel much better than the Wet Okole. If I were to do it again, I'd probably go with a darker shade, instead of trying to match the tan leather of our LX.
Thanks for the info, I’m torn between something like this and going the l seat route. Both of my seats are torn up

Something else to add...don't rush to spend thousands in PM right away, unless of course obviously broken. Do a little at a time as budget allows. I suppose if budget allows shoot for it being perfect as some do. I've done nearly nothing to mine except for flush AHC, heater T's, power steering pump, which wasn't bad, noise was from the alternator which was replaced. Steering rack leaked, but added the stop leak stuff, good for now. TB due (supposedly), eventually will get to it. Point is like @EricUT said it just runs. I went too far with my 80 for my budget, just bad decisions, to get it cool and where I thought I wanted it...and now don't have it. Just personal opinion from my own situation. Obviously we're all different, and unlike outside society today, that's ok here.

This is a great way to look at this. Obviously what you need to do to it will vary depending on it's condition and maintenance history, but if it was reasonably taken care of you can drive it for a long time without going crazy on stuff. I bought mine sight unseen from a guy in Arizona, drove it back to Seattle. I have since replaced the radiator, heater hoses and Ts and changed the oil. Then drove it down to Bend (600 mile round trip in hot weather and through mountain passes) and enjoyed every second.

It's so easy to go overboard and do everything right away but you really should spend some time driving it just to get a sense for how it feels and what might need to be done and take care of stuff as it comes up. Sounds like you're getting quite a deal though!

Welcome to the world of Landcruiseritis. Its an affliction that requires regular doses of loving with accessories, tweaks and regular maintenance. The good folk on this website are a great source of information and support to help you through the challenges of working out what is required to be done. AHC system is marvellous and like anything mechanical requires some reasonable service routines to enable it to maintain its operational capacity. My system has only had one fluid change and one set of replacement globes in 500,000 km of use so no real complaints on my part. If you are going hard out bush bashing probably not ideal but works for most of us.

Congrats! My sunroof is also non-functional. Which is fine by me as long as it doesn't leak.

It's more the fact that it has tape around it........

It was probably taped, because the drain(s) was clogged, and the sunroof/moonroof was inoperative.

The bad news:

The labor to drop the headliner and replace/repair the sunroof/moonroof normally isn't worth it.​

The good news:
Most people aren't tall enough to see the tape :)
If you want to remove the tape, you can unbolt and lift out the sunroof/moonroof, and clear the drains.​

It was probably taped, because the drain(s) was clogged, and the sunroof/moonroof was inoperative.

The bad news:

The labor to drop the headliner and replace/repair the sunroof/moonroof normally isn't worth it.​

The good news:
Most people aren't tall enough to see the tape :)
If you want to remove the tape, you can unbolt and lift out the sunroof/moonroof, and clear the drains.​
You own a shop I’m sure you can fix it yourself.

So I replaced the alternator.........found a minor oil leak @both valve cover. Split cv boot on outer right axle. upper right ball joint boot split but no play.
trans clean, transfer case clean , and rear diff clean. no leaks found with AHC although the fluid is right under the minimum so I need to order some. The last documented timing belt and water pump job was at 132K. I'm hoping that's all for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom