55s steering collum ,Why are these wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
why are the 55s steering collum a wanted iteam for 45s,just got a 55s for wrecking

they have a slip joint on the steering shaft, so that they are easily mated to a power steering box, where as the 40 and 45 colums are solid mounted to the box

Actually only the early '40s are solidly connected to the box. But the later '40s have a rag joint, the flange of which is integral to the shaft. The '55 ends in a splined section for mating to the Toyota ujoint/intermediate shaft. It also has a bearing in the bottom end of the column (to locate and support the shaft). The '40 column does not have this and depends connection at the rag joint to locate the bottom end of the shaft.

Sooo... for doing PS conversions, combining the '55 column with a '40 column results in a hybrid which bolts right in and is the perfect unit when adding an intermediate shaft.

Mark...

the rag joint vs. u joints isn't the only big thing about the shafts...it's the fact that the 55 has a slip shaft

Other then using parts from a 55 column, is there another way to modify a 40 for MT upgrade?
thanks,
manny

nuclearlemon said:
the rag joint vs. u joints isn't the only big thing about the shafts...it's the fact that the 55 has a slip shaft

Right. The use of the intermediate shaft (which can be lenghtened to work with a variety of setups) and of course the bearing in the end of the column is what make this a "good thing".

Mark...

mr_manny said:
Other then using parts from a 55 column, is there another way to modify a 40 for MT upgrade?
thanks,
manny

I guess I'm drawing a blank here... "MT upgrade"?

Mark...

Mark W said:

Mark...
do you think he meant ps instead of mt.

Mark W said:

Mark...

I know it's no consolation, but, me too.... :confused:

Butch

to answer the question, yes.

You can bolt a pillow block bearing on the firewall side of the steering column to axially locate the shaft.

I just built mine last week.The 55 colunm is like a inch and a half longer.I just took it to da chop saw and nipped it.Get one, it's easy.I had to swap turn signal switches so it would plug into my harness.That and I like my steering wheel better.

Texican said:
I know it's no consolation, but, me too.... :confused:

Butch

sorry guys, MT = Toyota Mini Truck PS upgrade...
I understand we have a cruiser on this forum that sells brackets that accommodate a MT gearbox for fj40s.

thanks for the info,
manny

mr_manny said:
sorry guys, MT = Toyota Mini Truck PS upgrade...
I understand we have a cruiser on this forum that sells brackets that accommodate a MT gearbox for fj40s.

thanks for the info,
manny

In that case there are no needs for any change. The minitruck box is a bolt in with the replacement pedestal. No need to change the column or naything else.

Mark...

Replacement bearing part numbers for FJ-55 Shaft:

Top:

NOTE: THis is some kind of wacky hybrid bearing, with an 18.5 ID. The two bearing houses did not recognize the other part numbers, and told me I had to source this from Toyota.

Toyota: 90363-18038
Koyo: DG1938AC3
NSK: B18Z-1B1C3

Bottom:

No problem with this bearing - I got the 6004ZZC3 bearing.

Toyota: 97123-06004
Koyo: 6004ZZC3
NSK: 6004ZZC3

Russian Bearing Cross Reference Spreadsheet... Search on OEM P/N

http://www.avalux-motors.ru/files/K...ikov_i_podshipnikov_v_originalnye_nomera_.xls

Rocky

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom