55amp alternator diy connector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ907Warrior

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey, still kinda new here, so hopefully this can help someone.

Have the 55amp internally regulated alternator mounted in my 40, and was looking for a way to plug in my harness without it looking... Well, bad.

This might honestly look bad to some, not OEM, not claiming to be. But for a $5 connector and elbow grease it worked ok for me (well, before I got the seller to cut off the original plug in from the doner vehicle)

So, I went to my local O-O-Oh-riellys, and picked up a PAL 40 amp fuse (40 amp because it was green)
It almost fit as was, but was about a 1/8 in to wide. Quickly sanded down the sides and it plugged right in as you can see below.
20230317_111505.jpg

Once I confirmed it fit, I popped the clear sight glass off the top and snipped out the fuse connector between the blade connections.
20230317_111645.jpg

At this point, the person I got my replacement 2F from and the alternator from, responded and said he would send me the OEM connection. Cool! But, I was all in on this so continued.... For science.
Removed the blades using a pick to release the retainer tab.
20230317_111812.jpg

From here, I bent the 'ears' and soldered in my wire. Not the greatest, but meh, I was only in it at this point for a diy write up.

20230317_112929.jpg

Finished it off by using automotive grade hot glue to isolate and seal the inside of the fuse housing.
20230317_113025.jpg

And that's it. Might not be perfect or 'Toyota' but hope it helps someone out there installing a 60s 55amp internally regulated alternator without a pigtail.

Can also get a more OEM plug and instructions for bypassing the external regular here:

Cruiser Wiring

MacGyver would be proud! :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom