55 springs on a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a picture of a FJ40 with 55 springs. I want to see a side shot how it looks with the extra length. SOA or SUA , does not matter.

Also if you have done this mod, was it worth the extra effort to increase the wheelbase a few inches?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,
I might have a pic somewhere, as I had done this on my FJ40 I built a few years ago. (got stolen or else i'd show you in person)...

As for the question regard whether its worth it, yes and no. Wheel base gain is nice, but its going to require a longer driveshaft, and possibly brake line. Also factor in the effort to move the rear shackle hangers, and figuring out a way to get the shocks to mount to the rear of the tubular crossmember on the frame. Also, the military wrap on the front of the FJ55 springs is bigger than the Fj40 spring, and consequently the military wrap banged on the spring hanger a bit, which to me was an annoyance on a rig that saw street duty too.

FJ55 springs are soft, which is nice, but I absloutely had to build a wrap bar, and would have had to add an add a leaf or the sag would have been too much, had I been able to get to that point(again, got stolen before I worked out all the bugs.)

rear fj55 2 1/2" lift springs x4

mounted.jpg

me.jpg

DSC01267.jpg

DSC01196a.jpg

bead7.jpg

let me know if you want any more :D

Let me try this again,
I picked up a set of front rancho 2 1/2" lift-springs...so I started looking for a rear set.
Morgan (local cruiser-head) had a set of rear used MAF fj55 2-1/2" lift springs for sale...sold :D

Once I installed the 55 rear springs, the difference was Immediate.

old rancho/55 combo:
sliders04.jpg

You know that section of your daily commute that you avoid...no longer an issue :D
I'm not sure if it was the increased WB or the improved rear shackle-angle, but the combination was a definite improvement.

After a while, I started looking at my front shackle-angle...pretty much straight up-and-down.
Adding another set of rear fj55 springs took care of that :D

gatekeeper RIP:
gatekeeper.jpg

As Brett stated, you are going to have to address your brake-lines and drive-shaft lengths.
Your brake-lines may appear long enough, but the increased droop from the 55 springs has to be addressed.

myfj-3a.jpg

Longer shackles will allow you to keep your upper-hangers in there stock locations :D
I'm running 4.5" in the front, with 5.5" in the rear.

Rear shock upper mounting was easily addressed by simply attaching them behind the cross-member (originally in front).
Front shocks were taken care of with the addition of ford-towers. Tim, you didn't say anything about the front, but if you did add 55 springs in front, you would be limiting your suspension system without the ford towers (or equivalent).
Whenever you change your lift, your shocks should complement your suspension compression and extension lengths.

myfj-5.jpg

SOR makes special leaf-spring bushings, so stock 40 hangers are not an issue...thank you SOR.
Anti-Wrap bar is not necessary if SUA...not with a powerful 2F that is :D

current WB = 92"
manny

Brett,
I'm sorry to hear about your rig...truly sucks.

Wheel welll was trimmed

Untitled-4.jpg

Other side with TJ flare

O-1a.jpeg

Mock up with TJ flare prior to wheel well trimming

IMG_3449 (2).JPG

Thanks to all for the replies, You all gave me much to think about.

Brett, Still holding those 55 doors for you. And when you get a chance, Noah can show you how to get lost finding my house ;).

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom