55 rear electric window Q? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
gday guys,

i have a bit of a problem, i feel it may be common amongst pigs with electric rear windows.
the problem, when the window goes down it does so freely and rather quickly, which is fine.
when i try to wind the window up again it takes many times longer and comes almost to a halt in doing so.

originally i thought it must have been a combination of the weight of the glass, the old felt sliders and the mechanism. but...

with the mechanism out on the bench and running it on a battery i have the same problem, i tried a squirt of CRC on everything, no change. then i notice the springs on the back were grabbing even when lubed up, so i removed them and now the mechanism runs at the same speed in either direction without that extra strain.

my thoughts are that the springs should help the window go up, instead of helping it go down.

has anyone else experienced this same problem?
if so what did you do to fix it?

thanks,
Daniel.

The spring should "wind-up" when you put the window down, and release this compression on the way up. Maybe somone has had the assy. apart in the past and put it back together wrong. If you remove the motor and brass gear you can rotate the arms out until they are independent of each other - then maybe re-seat the spring. I haven't had mine apart in a while - but I definitely remember tension on the up motion -

Good luck!

Tucker

yeah thanks for that,
i took a guess and tried it that way anyway, and i was happy with what it did, my guess was someone had it apart and just put it back wrong.
i didn't need to remove the motor like you say, i just used a set of vice-grips to hold the springs while i put them on/off.
anyway, now it's a little slow on the down stroke and quick on the up stroke, which will be slowed by the weight of the glass, so hopefully it will be good.
thanks.
Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom