55 knuckle wiper seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently discovered that what I thought was leaky wheel cylinders is greese from the knuckle. Question: the new kits from trail gear do not include felt, just a better rubber seal, split ring and backing plate. to avoid taking the entire assemble apart can I cut the rubber seal and offset it to the 3 or 9 position? Seems like a lot of work if I take everything off to replace the seals. Thoughts?

knuckle.jpg

Yes you can do that; cut the seal and rotate it to any position you want. It will still leak though.

It’s probably leaking because a couple reasons, one of which being your inner axle seal is failing letting gear oil through that makes it’s way through the ball seals easier. Only way to fix it is to do it right. I’ve bought my kits from @cruiseroutfit the last few years and they have everything needed with parts left over.

Good time for some upgraded 4Runner calipers and 60 series rotors too…(If it’s already disc, if not…)

Yes you can do that; cut the seal and rotate it to any position you want. It will still leak though.

It’s probably leaking because a couple reasons, one of which being your inner axle seal is failing letting gear oil through that makes it’s way through the ball seals easier. Only way to fix it is to do it right. I’ve bought my kits from @cruiseroutfit the last few years and they have everything needed with parts left over.

Good time for some upgraded 4Runner calipers and 60 series rotors too…(If it’s already disc, if not…)
yeah, I was hoping that isnt the case but agree ,its likely the inner axle seals and if I do that then it all comes apart. I have been considering discs but one step t a time. I haven't even got her on the road yet.

Last edited:
Are you leaving anything on the ground? Drips or a puddle?

If it's just drips every few days, I would work on getting it running and other stuff first.

if the inner axle seal was leaking, it would be wet and dripping.

what you show in the pic is an axle that has 20 years of service, I don't think you have an issue.
if you don't like the looks of it, clean it off, scraper, and preasure washer, just don't spray directly into the ball and seal area

Then get driving and stopping. Let it leak for while. You can address the knuckles later. As others said scrape the gunk off if you want.

Last edited:
Remove the inspection port (the square bolt on top of the knuckle) and take a look inside, take a stick or something and see what the grease in there looks like.
Agree with the others, clean it up and then wait to see how much it is leaking. Once I cleaned mine up with a LOT of scrubbing, the felt was in actually in pretty good shape. ( as it should be with only 71K miles on it)

if the inner axle seal was leaking, it would be wet and dripping.

what you show in the pic is an axle that has 20 years of service, I don't think you have an issue.
if you don't like the looks of it, clean it off, scraper, and preasure washer, just don't spray directly into the ball and seal area
hmmm ok. I like that answer :) . I'll try that.

I recently discovered that what I thought was leaky wheel cylinders is greese from the knuckle. Question: the new kits from trail gear do not include felt, just a better rubber seal, split ring and backing plate. to avoid taking the entire assemble apart can I cut the rubber seal and offset it to the 3 or 9 position? Seems like a lot of work if I take everything off to replace the seals. Thoughts?

View attachment 3309173
Did you end up using the trail safe wipers (without the felt)? How did you find them to work? Were you able to get your knuckle preload in spec with them?

no, I only replaced the wheel bearing seal. I did not dive into the knuckles

Did that solve your leak? My 84 pickup had a bad oil leak running down the inside of the tires. Got a knuckle rebuild kit and tore in to everything and the inner axle seals were totally falling apart and all of the grease was so diluted with diff oil.

Did that solve your leak? My 84 pickup had a bad oil leak running down the inside of the tires. Got a knuckle rebuild kit and tore in to everything and the inner axle seals were totally falling apart and all of the grease was so diluted with diff oil.
yes, the leak was really just the axle seal, someone recommended to just leave the knuckles as it looked like just years of use and not necessarily a reason to change out the seals.... yet. I did end up changing all the wheel cylinders /brake master during as part of this project tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom