50mph w/33"=what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Its not a linear relationship, so the speed is not offset the same amount ant any speed.

The relationship should be proportional, though, right? I mean, 0 mph should be 0 mph, then the error should be in a ratio of the actual tire diameter to the original tire diameter (of course, circumferance ratios would also work).

I used hand held GPS and figured my correction factor for 33*12.5 MT's was 1.17

So 50 = 58.5 MPH

I agree. 1.16-1.2 x speedo reading. Depending on air pressure in tires/actual circumference difference and of course, the gps.

What was your original tire diameter, and was the speedometer accurate with the original tires?

What's your gear ratio (usually 3.70 or 4.10)?

Original tire dia.?? I am not sure exactly what "stock" is on a 77'FJ40, Is it surely 29"?

Vehicle is new to me and came with 33's, so that is "my" original....

As far as gearing, I am not sure, it is stock gears.

I am driving it about 150 highway miles today. First extended drive it has been on, (lately). I did a whole bunch to fix it up and iron out all the messed up stuff from neglect and or PO busy hands. It is running great now, I am confident. It felt good doing 50, (which is closer to 60), so I wont be holding too many folks up behind me. At the end of the ride I get to 4wheel up the class 6 to my place...I am very excited to get it on.

Last edited:
Don't you think that somebody should be selling a face plate that you can stick on the old speed plate for whatever size tire with the correct speed reading. I don't think it should be hard to do.
Thia maybe another dum idea.
Vic

It's about 6-7 mphs at 50 when I pass those speed things that tell you fast you are going.

You can replace the speedo gear w/ one that has a different tooth count...

I know, I know - every time my husband got a bigger set of tires on his truck, we went shopping for the speedo gear again :rolleyes: (the first time I had to go with him since it fried while I was driving :frown:)

fortunately, my truck came already well adjusted :flipoff2:

I know, I know - every time my husband got a bigger set of tires on his truck, we went shopping for the speedo gear again :rolleyes: (the first time I had to go with him since it fried while I was driving :frown:)

fortunately, my truck came already well adjusted :flipoff2:

I'm not sure there were ever stock speedo gears that work exactly for 33s, from all of the research I've done. However, I do have those that should be closest. I just need to drain the transfer case and do the swap. It will be interesting to see what happens.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1754780&postcount=15

I think was kept you out of speeding tickets was driving a 40 series......

Worked when I had my old ranger too and I buried the needle in that sucker before (speedo ends at 85MPH). I also had someone pace me side by side while using this method and it worked quite well because my math and his speedo both came to the same speed ;)

EDIT: Although I agree it is not the most accurate estimation ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom