5-speed tranny swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know if the 5-speed box is the same size as my 4-speed? It's 1978 FJ43 Landcruiser. Would the Chiltons dpecify that?

The box it's self is about the same size as the 4-speed box. But the adapter spacer is longer to incase the 5th gear and shifter. The split transfer case is also longer then the 4-speed transfer case. The total is about 3 inches.

You'd also lose your parking brake with the split transfer case, so you'd have to address that.

There is a parking brake assembly for the split case. I went with the later parking brake on the rear axle using a late rear axle housing.

I had my transfer case built for the brake assembly on the rear output shaft. We do have choices.

The box it's self is about the same size as the 4-speed box. But the adapter spacer is longer to incase the 5th gear and shifter. The split transfer case is also longer then the 4-speed transfer case. The total is about 3 inches.
Thnx!
Man, there's some deep lc knowledge here...

If you use the transfer case E-brake it could interfere with the torque tube behind the transfer case. But it can be moved back if you have the ability to cut and weld.

There have been some on here that did not have any interference at all. Must depend on the year of the frame.

If you use the transfer case E-brake it could interfere with the torque tube behind the transfer case. But it can be moved back if you have the ability to cut and weld.

There have been some on here that did not have any interference at all. Must depend on the year

Yeah mileage varies with these jobs. Have a good shop here but would help to know the origin of this mystery 5-speed I'm trying to buy. I'll look for a part number

You will need to lengthen the front drive shaft and shorten the rear if you are using a F engine.

I am planning on keeping my 2F bell housing motor mounts right were they are with a R2.8 Cummins.

The shift cover will move the shifter tower back toward the seats. The H55Fs in FJ40s from the factory had the shift tower toward the heater/firewall and are very rear. I am modifying and using a FJ60 cover on my hump so the holes will line up with the shift tower.

There are a few things to look at and plan for when using the H55F.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom