1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 speed tranny, is it worth it?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by pvidrummer, Aug 14, 2006.

1. pvidrummer

pvidrummer

My neighbor is offering me an imported used 5speed tranny for 300 bucks.:eek: I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!! So, since I am seriously thinking on buying it, I have some questions.
    Is it a bolt in replacement for a 1983 FJ60?
    How do I know that it is working properly?

Is it worth it???

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    No.

You will not, until it is installed or inspected beforehand by someone that knows transmissions...

Only you can be the judge of that...you are the one that is paying for it.

It sounds really cheap to me....

Hit the FAQ, there is ample info in there on this swap.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. pvidrummer

pvidrummer

4. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    There is some basic checks you can do.
    Look for markings or defamations on the synchros.
    The output splines can also be inspected for wear
    If you take the top cover off you can measure the float in certain places outlined in a FSM.
    Check the shift forks for wear
    There is no sure fire way to guarrantee a good gearbox but you can usually spot a really fawked one.

$300 might be ok for a complete box with bellhousing and gearstick if it just needs a bearing kit($300).

5. brokenparts

brokenparts

I'll buy if you dont!

6. Mike S

Mike S

It is worth putting a 5 speed in your 60 series. I paid a lot more for mine - new H55F, new clutch, Tcase rebuild. Amost $3000. Well worth the price.

M

7. RredFJ40

RredFJ40

What does he mean an "imported 5 speed"? Are you sure this is an H55F? Or another 5 speed that may or may not be for a land cruiser? I'd double check to make sure this is exactly what you think it is.

8. High Desert

High Desert

In a Pre-85 fj60 you gotta do a lot of "stuff" to get the 5spd to fit. It an't no bolt in job. I'd buy the tranny if it is good, which I would be very suspicious of, (that's really cheap)..save it till you got a 85 or newer fj60 or re-sale it.

Should be able to do a search on the pre-85 install. I only know one guy that did the 5spd swap. He says the only time it is worth all the $ and hassel is when he is on a long road trip and can leg it out at low rpms on the highway. He still has to work it on long grades and finds that a less than highway speeds he never gets out of fourth..and shifts from third to fourth a lot cause of the gearing..He does not save money on fuel cause he seldom just "hits the highway" stll gets 11-12 mpg unless he is on the road...then he gets no better than I get by just driving around 55-60mph with 33 inch tires...

That is just hear-say...but he talked me out of spending any money on a 5$pd, I don't go anywhere anyway...

9. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I did the swap in my '84. The only difference from doing it in an 85 and up is the need to change the length of the driveshaft, and source a late model transfer shift linkage.

$300 is pocket change for an H55f. You should jump on that and buy a transmission rebuild kit for $200. Assuming the gears look OK (open the top cover and look) this is dirt cheap for this tranny.

The gearing is spaced better than on the H42 4speed and the extra low 1st gear is very nice, especially when in low range.

10. Roebon

Roebon

A lot of stuff to make it fit? I vehemently disagree. The T-case needs the oiler nipple installed and the rear drive shaft needs to be shortened...aside from that it's a bolt-in as long as the transmission is in good shape (big if).

A GREAT modification in my opinion if the vehicle runs on pavement from time to time. And if I'm not mistaken the only gearing difference, aside from the 5th, is a lower first gear, which is an added bonus.

If you search the threads you will see that it is often regarded as one of the best mods for a 60.

11. jayhawkcruiser

jayhawkcruiser 1985 4Runner

A few suggestions

Shorten rear drive shaft, lengthen front Maybe $200...I had to cut the hole for the shifter back about 1.5" in the center to make the collar on the trans clear. Maybe I was in a hurry. But I just bent it back when I was done. Also, the skid plate needs to be lowered or better yet, slid back a few inches so it fits properly. I LOVE mine! 4.11's, lockers, 33's and it will run 75mph down the highway. The lower first gear is great on the trail. Be smart change all the fluids, (at least once) and replace your input and output seals, clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing at least. The rebuild kits are not too bad, but I took a chance. I noticed a bit of noise, then it went away. Remember there are two kits for the older vs newer models. You can also put a hose from the t-case to the trans, in case you do have that seal go bad. It is not the right way I know, but then it should keep fluid in both if you have a bad seal. Just my thoughts. Craig

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">